Making your own make up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems to be a fairly common thing in the US, I see there are kits etc on the net to make eye shadows and lipsticks (all other kinds too).  I am South African and here we do not have any of this kind of product available to make your own. I am considering ordering some kits and giving it a try but first what I want to know is how many of you make your own and is it worth it or even as fun as it sounds?

I think making your own makeup is a cheaper option, but it's also a good option for people who really like to customize their colors. I've done it. Bought a bunch of pigments from TKB mixed them and made some utterly fabulous pigments the way I like them and in colors I haven't often seen (like a true shimmery dark blue without glitter flecks). 

As mentioned above, it is rather messy though. But perfect if you're one of those artsy types that liked making a mess in art classes in school. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There is an article in my Allure magazine that lists an easy way to make a tinted lip gloss:

1/2 cup petroleum jelly

1 scoop or two packets of pomegranate/cherry crystal light drink mix

3 or small jars with lids

mix petroleum jelly and crystal light in a bowl, adding 1 tsp of water in small drops until gloss turns berry red.  smooth the formula into jars.

and

vanilla clove body oil spray

1/2 cup walnut, almond or jojoba oil

1 tsp vanilla extract

5 drops clove oil

1 small spray bottle

pour ingredients into spray bottle, shake and spritz

I am going to try these out, thought someone else may find use for them

Well, if you want to save, you can do your own makeup, but it's also a good option for people who really like to customize their colors.

I've only ever made lip balms and lip scrubs. I think it's really fun and nice to share with family and friends. For me, it's worth the time and effort (honestly, it's not very time consuming and doesn't take much effort!). There are a lot of great DIY recipes online for makeup that you can use as a starting point and then tweak them to fit what you want in what you make.

I'd love to make my own makeup! Especially in the whole "customize your own colors!"

I was going to try my hand at making some LUSH-esque products. I think they look like they were patted together by a two-year-old, and they actually list all their ingredients (and the lists aren't too long). After reading through all the ingredients, they actually aren't as organic/good for you as many people would believe...but then again, I'm not bothered by SLS, parabens, etc. 

It's taken me a while to track down a lot of the raw ingredients, but this blog:

http://www.mariasself.com/2012/10/homemade-lush-gingerbread-house-bubble.html

She actually has a recipe and final product that looks a lot like LUSH's gingerbread house. 

Her site also has a recipe for a Comforter-like bubble bar, and the accompanying LUSH video:

http://youtu.be/5bDZvaqXfl4?t=1m

Shows how it's made. This particular LUSH channel (Lushvidz), has more detail on the makings of the items than the main LUSH channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lushvidz/videos?view=0

I'll let you know how if goes! I'm going to try to make various bubble bars and bath bombs....not really too interested in the rest of the stuff..... :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks Ladies, this makes me even more excited about my 'project', I'm convinced it will be fun. Keep the ideas and tips coming 
wink.gif

Thank you so much, Tgoober, I'm really glad you found my gingerbread house and comforter bubble bars recipes helpful! I would LOVE to know how it goes, so please keep us updated;-)

Maria Sself.

Originally Posted by lovelywhim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm totally going to try to make some bath bombs in December! Thanks for the recipes!!!
They're really fun and easy to make, and even more fun to use during your well-deserved bath time on chilly winter nights or give as a gift to the loved ones;-)

Latest posts

Back