March 2012 No-Buy Support!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay ladies, since you all love to window show online, maybe you can help me!

As you may (or may not) have read, I am going on my very first cruise in May. I'm am so beyond excited, its not even funny. I have some nice luggage but I don't have a nice overnight/weekender bag to bring on the plane with me. (I like to carry an extra set of clothes with me, just in case).

My budget is between $100 and $150 and I'd prefer some type of cloth or leather (not that hard plastic stuff).

Any ideas? 

(If you have one you are not using and willing to sell, I'm also open for that!)

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good job ladies! Its only the 1st! You can't give in now!

wait! so we gotta keep this up for 30 more days? Lord Jesus help us!! LOL

eusa_pray.gif

I've made the no buy official on my blog, which means I HAVE to stick to it. I'm going to put the money I'm not spending on beauty supplies towards organizing my stash! 

As you may (or may not) have read, I am going on my very first cruise in May. I'm am so beyond excited, its not even funny. I have some nice luggage but I don't have a nice overnight/weekender bag to bring on the plane with me. (I like to carry an extra set of clothes with me, just in case).

My budget is between $100 and $150 and I'd prefer some type of cloth or leather (not that hard plastic stuff).

Any ideas? 

(If you have one you are not using and willing to sell, I'm also open for that!)

I used to travel a lot for research and conferences in grad school. I got s sick of carrying around a bag with me, I just started carrying a really big purse that fit my laptop and extra underwear, lol. Before that, I had a northface backpack that I loved because it had clip straps on the bottom that I could put a towel in. (One time I traveled to Tajikistan with only a carry on, and I needed a nice towel for bathing lol). 

Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wait! so we gotta keep this up for 30 more days? Lord Jesus help us!! LOL

eusa_pray.gif

I'm starting to be afraid, if I'm having trouble on day 1....what is day 15 going to look like? and day 30?? 
blink.gif

Check out TJ Maxx or Marshalls! They always have a ton of decent luggage. Here's a word of advice, though: seriously consider something with wheels that can roll. When I went on a cruise last summer, I used my Vera Bradley bags (super cute and awesome, but no wheels), and the process of getting on the boat was pretty long and time consuming, and we had to carry our luggage the whole time. Basically my arms were ready to fall off, lol

Any ideas? 

I think I found my end of the month item- I got a sample of the Korres Wild Rose & Vitamin C Brightening Sleeping Facial with the Sephora order I got yesterday. I used it before bed last night, and it is AMAZING. My skin was phenomenal this morning, and that never happens.

Now I'm fighting the urge to buy it immediately... It's going to be a LONG month :/

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to travel a lot for research and conferences in grad school. I got s sick of carrying around a bag with me, I just started carrying a really big purse that fit my laptop and extra underwear, lol. Before that, I had a northface backpack that I loved because it had clip straps on the bottom that I could put a towel in. (One time I traveled to Tajikistan with only a carry on, and I needed a nice towel for bathing lol). 
That's an idea. I will have to keep looking. I'm not one who buys purses easily. I'm so picky, it literally took me 3 years to find my current bag. The one before that I had for 5 years.

That's an idea. I will have to keep looking. I'm not one who buys purses easily. I'm so picky, it literally took me 3 years to find my current bag. The one before that I had for 5 years.

haha, well the one I use is a hand me down from my mom, Kenneth Cole plain black professional looking one. I love Kate Spade and usually carry her bags but now I bring my lunch to work in the bag and I don't want to ruin a Kate. Also I suggest checking TJ Maxx, they always have a nice selection of "week ender" type bags that would be good for carrying on! 

haha, well the one I use is a hand me down from my mom, Kenneth Cole plain black professional looking one. I love Kate Spade and usually carry her bags but now I bring my lunch to work in the bag and I don't want to ruin a Kate. Also I suggest checking TJ Maxx, they always have a nice selection of "week ender" type bags that would be good for carrying on! 
I'm going to be hitting up Target, TJMaxx, Kohls and Ross this weekend, see what I can come up with.

Also, an idea that just hit me in order to help with my no buy, I think I am going to declare March as Urban Decay month. Basically doing a FOTD using primarily UD cosmetics and doing different looks. *ponder ponder ponder*

Yup TJ Maxx, Ross or any store similar you are going to find a good deal on a purse/travel bag. It might take a bit of hunting though. I think it's a good idea to get something with wheels just in case. I got a weekender gifted to me. I like it but don't have much use to for it at the moment. It was bought at Ross. But if I do happen to need it I have one. So I guess that works out.

I'm going to be hitting up Target, TJMaxx, Kohls and Ross this weekend, see what I can come up with.

Also, an idea that just hit me in order to help with my no buy, I think I am going to declare March as Urban Decay month. Basically doing a FOTD using primarily UD cosmetics and doing different looks. *ponder ponder ponder*

Oh, great idea! I'm just going to work on breaking out the things I don't use or have recently purchased instead of sticking with the same things I use all the time.

Hah.  This thread is comedy.

So I'm just trying to put a stop on the buying too just because there's no way I can use everything I have and I'm running out of storage space.  It's not that bad, but I want to put a stop on it early.  The problem that got me in this situation is feeling like I'm getting really good deals at the drugstore.  I just need to stop going to the drugstore, but it's like my relaxation thing to go spend a half hour searching and checking swatches and piecing together deals. The last little haul was amusingly enough at the grocery store.  I walked down the makeup aisle to get to the yogurt and was thinking "they never have sales here...but I'll just glance at the limited edition displays."  Well, they were just clearancing about 2/3 of their makeup to consolidate.  I spent a whopping $12 on 5 items and still felt a little guilty that I brought home more stuff.  Hah.  I keep wanting to go back and dig some more, but I just won't let myself.

I am thinking it might be time to purge a few older things and just be honest about what I really like and use.  There is something to be said for having variety, but....arrgg.  Although I've gone back and rediscovered old things that didn't work out for me working out when I used a different lip liner/base/etc.

I've been really good about avoiding Sephora at least.  I've also just about run out of room for nail polish, and I'm really funny about not wanting to dupe on myself, so that helps slow the hauling on that.

Any ideas? 

ooooooooo a cruise! how lovely! where r u going? Hubby and I have been on 8, so if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. I too, agree with the roller bag route. In your roller bag pack your swimsuit, a change of clothes, your makeup, your jewelry,  and any medications. Here's why: they throw your shit on that ship! LOL! I also recommend laying out what you want to take and then putting half back. just trust me on this. Also, get there early and you can hit up the buffet and dining rooms before you even take off! If you get there an hour before take off, you get caught up in the crowds and the newness of being on a ship. We like to get there early b/c we drive for one, and when we get there we're hungry! Also getting there early gives you time to explore the ship so you can enjoy your evening better that first night. It can get overwhelming!

Another thought process I'm going to give myself: It may look like I'm getting a really good deal, but if I never use it...what's the point? Its just wasted money. NO BUY NO BUY NO BUY.

Quote: Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ooooooooo a cruise! how lovely! where r u going? Hubby and I have been on 8, so if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. I too, agree with the roller bag route. In your roller bag pack your swimsuit, a change of clothes, your makeup, your jewelry,  and any medications. Here's why: they throw your shit on that ship! LOL! I also recommend laying out what you want to take and then putting half back. just trust me on this. Also, get there early and you can hit up the buffet and dining rooms before you even take off! If you get there an hour before take off, you get caught up in the crowds and the newness of being on a ship. We like to get there early b/c we drive for one, and when we get there we're hungry! Also getting there early gives you time to explore the ship so you can enjoy your evening better that first night. It can get overwhelming!

We are going to Alaska! I booked us a B&B 7 miles from the pier and the ship time says 4pm. The website says to be there 3 - 4 hours before so we are going to be on the pier by 1130 - Noon. I've heard alot of people say you wont need as much as you think you will, which I find weird. Do you run naked half the time? LOL

EXACTLY. When I read this, I flashed back to high school when I would buy a ton of cheap crap because it was on clearance, and I would try and justify it by pointing out how much money I saved. My dad would then just be like, "Well, you would have saved more money if you hadn't bought the damn stuff in the first place!" So, every time I feel the urge to buy something because it's on sale, I'll remember his wise, wise words. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Another thought process I'm going to give myself: It may look like I'm getting a really good deal, but if I never use it...what's the point? Its just wasted money. NO BUY NO BUY NO BUY.

Other than my subscriptions and what I've already bought in February I'm now on a no-buy (hopefully) through June when I go to IMATS.

Exactly, but I often find myself going back and rediscovering things or digging for unusual colors and seeing them in a different way when I do costume makeup.  So long as the formula isn't crap...

Arg.  The key sometimes is cost-per-use evaluation.  If you buy a $30 lipstick, but love it and use it all, the cost per use is very low.  If you buy a $3 lipstick and use it once or twice, the cost per use is relatively high.  I think about clothes this way too sometimes.  I'll spend more on a casual dress that's well made that I know I'll wear very often because I know I'll get more use out of it than another danged silk dress.  : p

OK, so here is another goal of mine: Don't reuse nail polish this month. A different color every time I paint them, to maximize the use of that stash, because I have SO many colors. 

Back