Mary-Louise Parker Adopts a Child from Africa

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
53hpft2.jpg

Weeds star Mary-Louise Parker has adopted a baby girl from Africa, her reps confirmed exclusively to PEOPLE.

Parker, who was nominated for two Emmy awards Sunday night, was spotted with her new daughter over the weekend as they traveled to the show.

The actress's reps declined to reveal any more information about the adoption.

Parker, 43, also has a 3-year-old son, Will, with actor Billy Crudup, 39. The couple split before Will was born, but Parker told PEOPLE last year she never had any doubts about being a single mom.

"There are a lot of things I just would not attempt, but taking care of someone – I know how to do," she said. "I know how to do that and I enjoy doing that."

Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am not a big fan of this new trend. What about the children right here? I have heard this before but someone correct me if I am wrong. Isn't more difficult to adopt in the US? Is that why maybe these celebrities go elsewhere?

Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am not a big fan of this new trend. What about the children right here? I agree. I want every child to have a family, but we have so many children here that need good homes.

Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif .......I didnt think it was hard at all Actually... it is. There are more hoops to jump through, and you gotta wait a couple years if you didn't go via the foster home route first. Most people don't go via the foster home route so there is where the difficulty (impatience) comes in.
Only click here if you have no problem reading about the less savory side of American adoptions.

Also, for the most part, the highest "commodity" are healthy white babies which are more difficult to come by. A person could wait for years for that kind of child. Unfortunately, the harder to place babies are black babies, and more specifically black baby boys (yikes!
sleepyhead.gif
). I know it's controversial but that's what it is. It makes "sense" that they will not jump through all those hoops and wait two years for a baby that they might desire less, but they will jump at the chance to get a non-white baby now from an international location for the exoticism factor. It makes them feel good to be "saving" a little bit of the world.
I'm not trying to demonize anybody one bit, but in the order of speaking, couples usually want a reflection of themselves. When they cannot get that, they will go for the next best thing, a baby from abroad. I have a good friend of mine and her husband that tried to adopt from Russia for a white child who would look more like them, but that fell through. So they are trying for a Chinese child next. She was very frank with me about adopting a non-white child overseas versus a non-white child here in the US.... "people will not ask so many intruding questions or treat us badly if they knew we saved a child from a horrible life overseas. We would be doing a good thing for the world's children". And I quote it verbatim. I hope this sheds a little more understanding on the issue. You don't have to agree, but just understand.

i agree theres alot of kids here that need a good home, but while there waiting for that at least they are being provided for as far as food, clothing shelter, school and medical needs, kids in other countrys may not be so lucky to have those things while waiting for a home.

It's very hard to adopt in the US for sure. I know first hand because my mother-in-law and father-in-law had actually tried awhile back. It's really a pain the butt but if you want a child bad enough then you will do it. They wanted to go elsewhere but ended up changing there minds.

Latest posts

Back