Mascara Base

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone recommend/feedback on mascara base brands? I hear that suppose to work better.

Mascara base/primer is just like foundation primers and eyeshadow primers. They protect the lashes from the mascara, as well as they can help lengthen, define or thicken lashes before mascara application. I've used MAC Prep+Prime Lash, Clinique Lash Building Primer, and now I have Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base... So far I've preferred Clinique's, but I hear Shiseido's is the best... Hence, why I got it finally. I'm giving it a go before I post a true opinion on it.

I've used the MAC Prep & prime lash since it was released and really like it, it does make a noticable differance IMO

the double mascara (base+waterproof clear mascara) from Urban Decay is quite good, i loved the base but it tends to dry a bit too quickly for my liking (i mean in the bottle).

I also like the Shiseido mascara base. It makes the my lashes a bit thicker and holds my curl very well (i have straight asian lashes that need heat in order for it to curl well). most mascaras (e.g diorshow, dior black out, but not waterproof diorshow) will weigh them down even if i use heat to curl them, but using the mascara base underneath it has helped a lot in the curl factor.

I can't think of one that I love off the top of my head, but I too have tired a lot of these. Most contain fiberglass to thicken the lash, and if you've ever been in a fiberglass boat and gotten a sliver of fiberglass under your skin, you know this is not a good thing to have anywhere near your eye. I know that the LORAC one (double sided, one side primer, other side mascara) does not contain fiberglass, not sure on any other fiberglass free formulas, although knowing Shesiedo's commitment to skincare first, theirs is probably fiberglass free. Tar is also a common ingredient in lash primers and in waterproof mascaras (to help with thickening and to lock out moisture and extend wear by gluing the colour on), another item that is hard to remove without getting in your eye and should be avoided.

Like I said, I've tried a bunch, I have not noticed much more difference than using a few extra coats of regular thickening mascara. I have noticed that since most of them tend to be white and dry white, meaning you need to be extra sure that the entire lash is covered by your coloured coat! Nothing is wierder than white lashes. One thing to keep in mind, especially with higher end mascara, many mascara formulas have wonderful things built into them, like conditioner to soften the lash and ProVit B5 to strengthen, and if you use a base that lacks these ingredients, you create a barrier that prevents this good stuff from helping out your lashes. Most women who are looking for primers are doing so because they want thicker and longer lashes. Staying away from tar, waterproof formulas and fiberglass (which will make your eyes itch, and rubbing your eyes pulls out lashes) will help the person who has been using these items on a regular basis grow fuller thicker lashes in about four months (the length of time it takes a lash to grow back to it's full length after it has fallen out). Especially if you're using a proper removal technique (below), and a mascara designed to treat your lashes.

Final thought, most lash primers, like waterproof mascaras, are hard to disolve at the end of the night. Make sure you have an eyemakeup remover that is designed to disolve waterproof makeup (Clarins Instant Eyemakeup Remover is the fastest in my book, and doesn't burn my super sensitive eyes! LORAC's Oil Makeup Remover is a close second). Soak your cotton pad WELL, compress it onto your closed eye and count to ten. Then start swiping it off. This way you allow your remover to work before you start tugging at lashes and you'll get less loss and breakage, not to mention fine lines. It is also wise to fold the soaked cotton pad in half and wiggle it up the front side of your lashes, as this is wear the most of your mascara dwells. I find if I fold the pad under the lash with the eye open, then close the eye and lift the pad up the length of the lash, three to four passes gets even the darkest and thickest stuff off. Finally, I'd probably recommend, based on length of time to apply your makeup, and the health of your lashes, that primers and waterproofers be saved for special events or teary days. It's just as easy to find a great smudge proof mascara (Love LORAC's regular mascara, Prescriptives False Eyelashes, Dior Show Mascara and Clarins Wonder Volume for the no smudge bit and the thickened lash effect too!) and apply one coat to each eye, then another, alternating from one eye to the other in between coats. This allows each coat to dry a little, which will automatically double the next coat.

I recently bought Shiseido's... but then I tried Lancome's, and Lancome's is by far my favorite.

i love lancome cisil booster and cisil boost xl mascara base.. i jsut started pairing it w/ dior show and i actually like dior show now...

Originally Posted by warpaintress /img/forum/go_quote.gif I can't think of one that I love off the top of my head, but I too have tired a lot of these. Most contain fiberglass to thicken the lash, and if you've ever been in a fiberglass boat and gotten a sliver of fiberglass under your skin, you know this is not a good thing to have anywhere near your eye. I know that the LORAC one (double sided, one side primer, other side mascara) does not contain fiberglass, not sure on any other fiberglass free formulas, although knowing Shesiedo's commitment to skincare first, theirs is probably fiberglass free. . thanks for the insight, which ingredient is the fiberglass?

Latest posts

Back