Meanest mom’ sells car after finding liquor

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DES MOINES, Iowa - Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone — by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady.'"

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton said she believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week — just for the feedback.

well the decision sounds really harsh. that said, i think the mom made the right decision.

i wouldn't trust someone carrying booze in my car, even as a passenger, you can be distracted and one second is enough to provoke an accident. besides, i suppose the kid took people of his age in his car, so i would be worried about someone young already drinking alcohol that way.

i also remember on a personal side that sunday nights a few years ago meant dad wouldn't eat dinner with us but rather be on the road, to see another death of kids who drunk too much at the nightclub. and it's not pretty.

As a parent, I agree! Never had to make that hard a call, evidently my sons didn't drink in High School. In college, if they drank, they walked where they had to go.

I just saw this on CNN and I think this is hysterical. As a teen I probably would disagree with what she did but as an adult I think she did what she felt was righta nd I agree with it. I bet that kid will never have liquor in his car whenever he gets one again

That's great! I wish my aunt would have done something like that when my underage cousin got DUI

I think it's great. Seriously if he disobeys the rules and are dumb enough to be caught them he deserves it. I love the way she did the ad.

This is really funny and well-deserved. Even if it wasn't his, he should've been more careful about what people put in his car. If the police had pulled him over, he could've gotten in a lot of trouble.

lol What an awesome mom
smile.gif

Good for her! Drinking and driving is just plain stupid and yeah, it's a bit extreme, but I bet her kid won't do that again!! LOL!

I think that was a bit extreme. In lots of places 19 is legal. He's an adult and should be able to make his own responsible decisions without his mommy saving him.

Edit: It doesn't really make clear whether he lives with his parents and that she bought the car completely, but either way, it's not fair in my opinion.

Mommy bought the car. Mommy can sell the car!

Good for her. If he was able to make his own decisions, then he would have his OWN place and not live with mommy. Therefore live with mommy = live by mommy's rules.

Originally Posted by puncturedskirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif How old is the son...just curious? 19

haha...Wow. Well.. It's not like he's a CHILD. Not saying that's it's right for him to have booze in the car while underage, but i'm assuming the car was a gift?. You shouldn't be able to take a gift back.

She could of possibly saved his life down the road

next time when he pays for his own car,, maybe He wont have booze in his new car
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SimplyElegant /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that was a bit extreme. In lots of places 19 is legal. He's an adult and should be able to make his own responsible decisions without his mommy saving him.
Edit: It doesn't really make clear whether he lives with his parents and that she bought the car completely, but either way, it's not fair in my opinion.

If hes still living there ,I guess she can do whatever she wants pretty muchbesides whats so cool about booze in the car anyways?

Latest posts

Back