Michael Moore: SickO

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, I just got done watching this film and watching the Oprah special about it and if you haven't yet, here's a link to see it online:

SiCKO - Everyone Should Watch This Once (FULL MOVIE STILL AVAILABLE)

So yeah - most know Mr. Moore is all about propagandizing and yada yada but about the theme of this movie... American's Health Care & the Insurance company profiting on it, what are your views and standpoints on it, as in the pros/cons?

People from different Countries - please voice your opinion as well, whether you dislike/like how your health care provider runs?

Would we [Americans] benefit from free health care, if not, why?

I hope the mods/Tony can allow a bit of debating back and forth as long as it's not personally attacking another and within reasons
smile.gif

I'm just curious at the responses and personal stories...

I haven't watched it yet...been meaning too, but I can't stand Michael Moore.

OT: My Best Friend Liz is working on her Masters in Health Administration. She currently works for Kaiser. She told me a whole long spiel about how Healthcare can be free. That is her dream...to formulate the the Free Healthcare Plan. I don't remember what she said though....I was in the middle of a few glasses of wine...hehe

i saw that movie.

then asked my cousin if all the stuff that they get in france is true.

apprently it is, which made me really really really really pissed off.

Doesn't it?

Like, I had a friend from UK who told me he had some shoulder problems and such and just walked to the doctor nearby. I asked him if he's insured and he goes, "you yanks and your backward thinking. it's free." All while my mom had to pay my $300 doctor bill for a TB shot since I'm not convered. And can't be covered because I'm over 18...

It's crazy because I've been longing to go to the doctor for check-ups to see if anything is wrong but can't. It's hard to find a decent job that works around my school schedule and actually gives you benefits. It's just another reason why I want to move to Europe. I know there are clearly some downfalls to free HC. But shoot, I'll take it if that means I won't be struggling in debt...

Well, my degree is in Healthcare Management, and one of the things we learn about is how health insurance is in the "industry." I haven't watched the movie yet to form an opinion, but I do know I learned more about insurance than I care to know. I know a lot of the time employees are so to speak as "overcharged" for insurance through their employers, and it's simply because the employers premiums get higher and higher each year. Senior citizens aren't getting proper care due to not being able to afford health care, even with Medicare/Medicaid. Baby boomers are the being hit hardest too.

John's company wants almost half of a paycheck WEEKLY for insurance, and all they contribute is $35 a week! Needless to say, none of their employees use their insurance plan, or at least very few do. It's a weird, sad world with health insurance.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really want to! I, personally, like Michael Moore, even if he does get a bit over the top. At least he's talking about this stuff! I completely support Universal Healthcare and I have for a long time. I know it has it's pitfalls...no system is perfect. I just think it's absolutely pathetic that one of the richest countries in the world has 45 million people in it that don't have any healthcare coverage because they can't afford it, while these HMO executives are becoming millionaires!! Something is very wrong with that picture! We are the only industrialized country in the WORLD without Universal Healthcare.

I have lived almost my entire life without Healthcare. The times I was sick and had to go, I not only got treatment but also a heap of debt to go with it. Yay!!

American Healthcare blows...seriously.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have lived almost my entire life without Healthcare. The times I was sick and had to go, I not only got treatment but also a heap of debt to go with it. Yay!!
American Healthcare blows...seriously.

Oh yeah! It cost me less to have Kylie than it did to have surgery 3 months prior. The hour I was charged for my recovery room from surgery ($1k) was only $600 less than it cost me after my healthcare picked up from having Kylie! It was seriously like an overall difference of $7k! WTF!

I have a bad kidney and I get really serious kidney infections that require hospitalization. Stress is the prime trigger for my problem...so you can guess that I get them often. The last time I was in the Hospital for 2 weeks. The bill was close to 10k. I swear with Medical Bills alone I should file bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Doesn't it?
Like, I had a friend from UK who told me he had some shoulder problems and such and just walked to the doctor nearby. I asked him if he's insured and he goes, "you yanks and your backward thinking. it's free." All while my mom had to pay my $300 doctor bill for a TB shot since I'm not convered. And can't be covered because I'm over 18...

It's crazy because I've been longing to go to the doctor for check-ups to see if anything is wrong but can't. It's hard to find a decent job that works around my school schedule and actually gives you benefits. It's just another reason why I want to move to Europe. I know there are clearly some downfalls to free HC. But shoot, I'll take it if that means I won't be struggling in debt...

??? I'm 25 and I'm still covered on my dad's insurance?

Anyway, even if for some reason I WANTED to watch a Michael Moore movie, I wouldn't last more than one minute. Just seeing commercials with him in them annoys me to no end.

That's insane!

Ugh, it just ticks me off thinking about this. It's sad when you really want to see the doctor as opposed to when you're younger and hating to go.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have a bad kidney and I get really serious kidney infections that require hospitalization. Stress is the prime trigger for my problem...so you can guess that I get them often. The last time I was in the Hospital for 2 weeks. The bill was close to 10k. I swear with Medical Bills alone I should file bankruptcy. Wow, Manders!!! That really DOES blow!!! Have you tried getting a cheaper plan that would at least cover hospitalization? I know in NY there are some plans like that.

We'll allow this thread as long as it doesn't turn political (since we know Mr Moore is a political wannabe) or personal attacks are kept out.

I don't know about Mr Moore's sicko movie at all, but I do know that he's an idiotic, hater of Americans and propagandist/lier and not what the US people stand for. If you believe and fall for his untruths, you should check yourself. You will never see famous leftists siding with him.(my only political part of this reply)

Believe me, you DON'T want free health care or socialized medicine, an option MIGHT be ok. I could write novels on this subject. Why do you think so many people come to the US to get health care? Cuz it's the best in the world, hands down(no offense to other countries). In Finland, where they have socialized medicine, people with any sort of money don't even THINK about using the free health care. They pay for it and the reason is that the health care is better. Reija has told me nightmares about their system. She could write a book on it since she has had a few surgeries for her Chrohn's disease. Plus, when she had teeth cavities filled in school, the use NO NOVACAINE. Free sounds so easy and cool but why have it if the care sucks? On another subject, I have some insider information that two major hospitals in Los Angeles will announce closing in the next 60-90 days, due to money issues....mostly cuz of illegals using the emergency room when they have a cold and never paying their bills.

The US has some serious issues on this subject, I can admit that.

IMHO, the US will never moved to free health care, the drug companies and the medical industry are all about money/ big business.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif ??? I'm 25 and I'm still covered on my dad's insurance?
Anyway, even if for some reason I WANTED to watch a Michael Moore movie, I wouldn't last more than one minute. Just seeing commercials with him in them annoys me to no end.

My dad's insurance doesn't cover if I'm 18 and over. I think it was I had to be a full time student (16 units or more in college) and take certain classes to qualify for it - but that was awhile ago. Now there's no hope unless I go out and find myself a job that will cover me.

I agree that our current healthcare system is controlled by money and big business and pharmaceutical companies, however I do NOT believe that we'll never go to free healthcare or some version of it. People are getting fed up (as they should). Maybe if enough people showed they gave a sh&t about it, they would do something about it! JMO

Yeah T, that's the thing. Nobody wants free healthcare from a Doc who doesn't know what their doing, but so many people go without any care at all for their entire lives. I feel like a big part of the health problems Americans have could be easily solved with preventative care throughout their lives. It's so frustrating. I mean if we can't get free care, could they at least make it lower cost. I can't tell you how many times I have been prescribed meds for an illness, only to not be able to afford the prescription. If the cost of getting a diagnosis isn't enough...you gotta take out a loan for the meds.

My Mother in Law is going through Chemo for inoperable Lung Cancer. She has NO health insurance. No one will insure her because of the cancer. Her chemo is $5000/ session. Her Meds are $1000 per week. Last Week she had a CT scan that she paid $4000 for. At this rate they will loose everything. She was reffered to UC Davis only to be turned down, they ONLY accept people with insurance. Why should it be that a person can only get treatment if they are rolling in the dough?? A SAD truth.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah T, that's the thing. Nobody wants free healthcare from a Doc who doesn't know what their doing, but so many people go without any care at all for their entire lives. I feel like a big part of the health problems Americans have could be easily solved with preventative care throughout their lives. It's so frustrating. I mean if we can't get free care, could they at least make it lower cost. I can't tell you how many times I have been prescribed meds for an illness, only to not be able to afford the prescription. If the cost of getting a diagnosis isn't enough...you gotta take out a loan for the meds.
My Mother in Law is going through Chemo for inoperable Lung Cancer. She has NO health insurance. No one will insure her because of the cancer. Her chemo is $5000/ session. Her Meds are $1000 per week. Last Week she had a CT scan that she paid $4000 for. At this rate they will loose everything. She was reffered to UC Davis only to be turned down, they ONLY accept people with insurance. Why should it be that a person can only get treatnebt if they are rolling in the dough?? A SAD truth.

My God...that just drives me crazy when I hear stuff like that! I am sooo sorry for her situation and I wish enough people would pay attention when they hear stories like hers and yours!

Latest posts

Back