Microdermabrasion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been told that Microdermabrasion is good for dark spots and i am so sick and tired of them. I have been hearing that Susan Lucci's "Youtful Essence" kit is good. Have you tried a home microdermabrasion kit and if so, does it work? I am looking to purchase one today at a local store.

I've tried the home microdermabrasion kits, the Pond's Purely Polished Micro-Dermabrasion Anti-Aging Kit to be exact, and I liked it, but it wasn't very effective. The kits to me just seem like scrubs with a little machine to run it on your skin. The effects are definately not comparable to an actual micordermabrasion treatment.

I had microdermabrasion done to help get rid of dark spots as well, but all it really does it remove the dead skin, which does make you look better, but the spots remain. Those have to be removed with laser treatments.

i'd be very careful with this. i'm not saying that they don't work, but being a woc means things react very differently on us. the melanin in our skin does strange things when the skin surface is disturbed. this could cause the dark patches to get darker or even larger in some cases. i can say i've used one by derma e and it did a great job of resurfacing my skin, but not a lot for the spots.

i've been using a product by dermalogica called daily microfoliant. it's a powder that you mix with water to create a kind of enzyme paste made from rice. it's gentle enough to use everyday. i love it! i takes a little longer than some other treatments, but i definitely see improvement and it's alot less agressive than mama lotion. keep us posted and let us know what you decide!

I don't think microdermabrasion will be a miracle cure for serious dark spots. It works only if your spots aren't too bad. I use a home microdermabrasion kit called EpidermxII (info at Epidermx II Microdermabrasion Pro-Treatment). It's very good for evening my skin tone, making it look brighter and glowy, and has helped with lines and scars. It has helped with some dark spots from sun exposure but not to a great extent. The major effect is making my skin look much better overall and I'm very happy with it. I'm still looking for something else to get rid of some serious dark spots.

I haven't used Susan Lucci's kit but have heard lots of people have breakouts from it. Just last week I met with a relative who's over 60, a grandma, and she said she broke out badly every time after she used this kit. She didn't have any problems the first 2 times but every time after that, she broke out, especially on her chin and forehead.

I've heard very good things about Mary Kay TimeWise Microdermabrasion, but I've not tried it. I use Olay Regenerist and I like it.

Oh wow, well i bought Susan Lucci's last night but i think i will take it back after hearing everyone's comments. Especially since my skin is so sensitive and anything breaks me out.

I have micro dermabrasion regularly, I think it is wicked, my friend went to have it done and they advised her not to because she had dark skin and it could cause scarring so she has peels instead. Dermalogica have skin renewal booster which is good for dark spots.

Dark spots are tricky to get rid of, especially if you have darker skin tones and depending how old your spots are. I have been asking this very same question to different Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons, because I have an old acne spot I want to get rid of. My experience is that microderm improves the texture of my skin, not pigmentation. I was told to use hydroquinone or kojic acid, skin lightening ingredients, the only thing is that once you start using these products you pretty much would have to stick to using them or the spots will come back. Good Luck.

I had microdermabrasion, and I saw no results at all. I kept asking the woman if that was really it. She assured me it was. I still think that it was not done properly as I wasnt even pink afterwards. Very disappointed.

As for the kits, I have tried them and agree, it is just like using a scrub and using a machine rather than your fingers to scrub it around, but I do think the results are better and your face smoother feeling than if just using your fingers.

I have used Epidermx and liked it. Had to put on Coconut virgin oil or Dermabutter ( which I bought together with the Epidermx) or else my skin would burn like hell...or at least get red.

Loved have it looked in the mornimg though.Skin loojked more even.

Heard that Dr. Brands should be good too.

I have never done microdermabrasion but I have thought about getting the procedure done.

i bought the kit by Olay and I really like it. I use it 1x week. I treat it like a heavy exfoliator though- it does a really good job of smoothing the skin and getting rid of the nasty top layer.

I am using the Skinn by Dmitri microdermaabrasion and it makes my skin so wonderfull, it really worth to try this product

i use mary kay micro and i love it as scrub. I'm sure over time it will help fade my dark spots but it's definitely not something you see overnight.

as far as dark spots are concerned i know some people have ordered peels from make up artist choice (muac). I recently ordered the professional non acid enzyme peel that I will use for the first time today (i'm afraid to use acid on my skin if it's not done by a derm). I hear that when peels and microdermabrasion are used in conjuction (not at the same time ofcourse!) this gives the best results.

I know many have used the lactic acid peel by muac and have had success fading spots. You can go to makeupalley product reviews sections and read the reviews-and also give muac a call and they advise you on what peel to get based on what you are looking for. The rep at muac told me that the lactic acide peel vs the enzyme peel is suggested for fading spots.

my derm said that more derms are using the peels as an alternative and a cheaper more effective way to diminish dark spots it works faster with less treatments

Latest posts

Back