Milani's Pitch Black Powder Eyeshadow

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Temptalia posted about this on her site about a month ago and I didn't see it until today. Apparently Milani has a new matte black shadow out called Pitch Black and it's exclusive to CVS and CVS.com.

Images from CVS.com and Temptalia.

Price: $4.99

Net weight: 0.11 oz

I think this will give Makeup Geek's Corrupt ($5.99 pan only, $7.99 compact; net weight 0.064 oz) and Sugarpill's Bulletproof ($12; net weight 0.14 oz) a run for their money.

Price wise it's less expensive than both Sugarpill and MUG while weight wise it's closest to being the same size as Sugarpill. If it's as good as it looks in Temptalia's pictures then this is is more than 1/2 the price of Sugarpill and virtually the same size. It's still a dollar less than MUG's pan and $2 less than the compact but you get almost twice the amount.

I wish we had a CVS. I'll check my local Fred Meyer since they tend to carry items that tends to be exclusive to CVS and Ulta.

You can buy it from the Milani web site. I didn't get this color, but I did buy the hot pink and green shadows (and 3 shadow eyez pencils hee!). 

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can buy it from the Milani web site. I didn't get this color, but I did buy the hot pink and green shadows (and 3 shadow eyez pencils hee!). 
i'm gonna wait til milani has a sale! haha what colors did you pick for the shadow eyez? i wish that had a wider selection.. hopefully soon! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Looks interesting. They have several other matte shades that I'm interested in.

I bought the new Milani e/s except for the brightly colored ones.  I already have similar shades in my collection.  My HG black matte e/s before was by NYX but when I reordered it recently, the formulation was different from the original one I had for years :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.  You can see a grey cast in it and it's not as rich feeling.  Milani's pitch black still has a slight grey tint imo but it still applies rich black. I love it.  I ordered it from the Milani website bc CVS doesn't seem to have it in stock along with other of their new "exclusive" products.  I plan to buy two back ups for my stash if they hit the local CVS. 

Ack! I knew I forgot something in Pasadena! To stop at CVS! Ugh!! Time to order from Milani.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ack! I knew I forgot something in Pasadena! To stop at CVS! Ugh!! Time to order from Milani.
Then I REALLY shouldn't point out that there is a CVS within a mile or two of BUR, huh? (Didn'tcha go via Bob Hope?)

Yup. I flew out of Bob Hope Airport. Ugh!!! I'll have to wait until July for Las Vegas since I know their is a CVS on the strip near the Bellagio. That or just order it from Milani's website and pay the $5 shipping.

Yup. I flew out of Bob Hope Airport. Ugh!!! I'll have to wait until July for Las Vegas since I know their is a CVS on the strip near the Bellagio. That or just order it from Milani's website and pay the $5 shipping.
Or talk to someone who HAS a CVS local to 'em that's willing to hook ya up.

FYI, next time you go through BUR, there is a strip mall very close that has an Ulta (no big deal to you NOW) and a REALLY GOOD Nordstrom Rack and Ross (a $4 Betsey Johnson dress? THAT doesn't happen in Phoenix!). Plus, the 1928 Jewelry outlet is very close to the airport as well.

Ugh, really? Awww man, I really like my NYX black shadow too. Dang it! Why do they have to go and mess with a good thing! I'm gonna email them! Not sure what that will get me, though... maybe some answers...? lol

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought the new Milani e/s except for the brightly colored ones.  I already have similar shades in my collection.  My HG black matte e/s before was by NYX but when I reordered it recently, the formulation was different from the original one I had for years :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.  You can see a grey cast in it and it's not as rich feeling.  Milani's pitch black still has a slight grey tint imo but it still applies rich black. I love it.  I ordered it from the Milani website bc CVS doesn't seem to have it in stock along with other of their new "exclusive" products.  I plan to buy two back ups for my stash if they hit the local CVS. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or talk to someone who HAS a CVS local to 'em that's willing to hook ya up.

FYI, next time you go through BUR, there is a strip mall very close that has an Ulta (no big deal to you NOW) and a REALLY GOOD Nordstrom Rack and Ross (a $4 Betsey Johnson dress? THAT doesn't happen in Phoenix!). Plus, the 1928 Jewelry outlet is very close to the airport as well.

Well I'll be back in January for IMATS 2013 so good to know. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh, really? Awww man, I really like my NYX black shadow too. Dang it! Why do they have to go and mess with a good thing! I'm gonna email them! Not sure what that will get me, though... maybe some answers...? lol
I know, that e/s was awesome! If I have time tonight I'll take pics of some swatches and see if I can catch the comparison accurately. For all I know I got a dud.

Okay here are the comparisons. None of the swatches were with primer. This is just my bare arm.

With flash

(L to R) Milani Pitch Black, old NYX Black, new NYX Black

With flash closeup

L: Milani, R: Old NYX

With flash closeup

L: Old NYX; R: New NYX

Swatches with flash

(L to R) Milani, Old NYX, New NYX

This was this morning. I wiped most of the e/s off my arm with a tissue but this is what was left over. This can give you an idea on their longevity. 

The rest of these pics I took this morning to show it in a more natural light setting.  They are all in the same order (L to R) Milani, Old NYX, and New NYX.

The issue I have with the new NYX is it's a dry crumbling powder. When I swatched with my finger you can see up close that it has very tiny compressed sections that give the appearance that it's darker than it really is. On the very last picture, you can see where a chunk rolled down the right bottom side.  And on the flash swatch you can tell it's not an even swatch due to the texture. That why when I wiped it off, practically all the pigment came off with it.  I always use a primer on my eyes and it did help some but I never assume everyone is going to use one so for those that don't, imo Milani is the clear winner for a rich matte black :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Is it my monitor or does the new NYX black look a wee bit on the gray side?
Yes, it looks more like a dark satin grey black than an actual matte black.

Latest posts

Back