Mineral veil substitute?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is there a product out there that generally produces the same effect as mineral veil?

oil control/oil free/dewy lookinh/soft focus etc...the good stuff

im afraid it might make me break out or so ive heard

Most mineral makeup companies have a finishing powder. I really like Silk Naturals perfection powder.

you could try pure silk powder, yet i´ve read of nobody who had reactions to that...can use it as primer and finish alike,it controls oil,but isn´t as drying as clay or other things which are used in most finishs...

Lumieres Silk Powder is really wonderful, the best I've found
smile.gif

Originally Posted by lilia551 /img/forum/go_quote.gif is there a product out there that generally produces the same effect as mineral veil?oil control/oil free/dewy lookinh/soft focus etc...the good stuff

im afraid it might make me break out or so ive heard

The original Mineral Veil (and clones) contain cornstarch or zea mays. BE is the original. I have EDM (original) finishing dust. It is great for oily skin (absorb oil well) but I don't like the finish. Also some people have a reaction to corn products. There is a theory that food products can cause acne reactions. I don't think this has been proven. I know it has been a debate on some forums.
How oily are you? Do you need a primer?

I have dozens of finishing powders. If you are slightly oily to dry silk powder will work well. It does have that "airbrush look". I have and can wear Silk Naturals Powder Perfection.

I am quite oily and I find 100% (or almost) silk powder can actually make more oily. I wore Lumiere Sand Silk in the summer. Very nice finish. However, two hours later I was glowing and not in a good way! I tried it again with a primer (kaolin based) and still no go. I ended up mailing to a MUA friend. This is nice, but again if you are oily it might not be for you. However, samples are usually cheap from most MMU companies.

Another finishing powder I like is from Lure. It is Rice based. It is very light, nice finish. It does not emphasize my fine lines (I am 46) or large pores. Lure does not have a good description of the finishing powders on their site. There is four of them IIRC. Samples are $2.00 each. I bought the medium size jar a while back while it was 30% off. If you have any questions you can email the owners and they will get back to you. I got A which is slightly yellow for lighter skin tones. If you are very oily, you could use this as a primer also.

If you have questions about a particular finishing powder or primer and are more oily than dry; chances are I have it (or a similar formula)!

Why don't you try serecite? I use it an it works really well for me. I get a great air brushed finish and it controls the oil but doesn't dry me out.

You can do a search on the web - they even sell it in bulk. You can get a pound of it for about $10.00. At least you could when I purchased it.

Hope this helps,

CooCoo

Originally Posted by coocoo4coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif Why don't you try serecite? I use it an it works really well for me. I get a great air brushed finish and it controls the oil but doesn't dry me out.
You can do a search on the web - they even sell it in bulk. You can get a pound of it for about $10.00. At least you could when I purchased it.

Hope this helps,

CooCoo

You can also use Serecite under MMU. I have it. I find that kaolin clay works better as an oil control powder primer.
But then again, I am quite oily. Probably more oily than most ladies.

Several companies do sell this; either with a slight tint or plain.

Originally Posted by autumnagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif You can also use Serecite under MMU. I have it. I find that kaolin clay works better as an oil control powder primer.
But then again, I am quite oily. Probably more oily than most ladies.

Several companies do sell this; either with a slight tint or plain.

Yep - I agree and do that too. I also purchased some rice powder and kaolin clay. The kaolin clay I use mostly during the summer months underneath my mmu. The rice powder I can use in moderation as a finishing powder so long as I don't overdo it on my T-Zone whenever my skin needs it. Some days my skin just produces a little bit more oil than others - don't know why, but the rice powder helps keep it under control. You have to use a very light hand because you can look too ghosty (white) if you put too much - so just use a very, very light hand. Or even better if you can get it tinted as mentioned above you can avoid that all together. By the way, great find Autumnagain!
CooCoo
sheep.gif

I recently had a terrible skin infection due to a silk dust. Had to be treated by antibiotics.

It was not the one from Lumiere,though. Im so sad it did not work for me. This is the first time i have a bad reaction to makeup. But i can use all the other products i have from the company the silk dust came from,and i love them.

I might have to try the silk dust from Lumiere....

I usually use Lumieres silk powder. My friends also use these powder. It has the same effect as mineral veil.

Back