Mixing Minerals, is it ok?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering is it ok to mix up what products you use?

As in, I use Jane Iredale liquid mineral foundation, Is it ok to use say BE Mineral loose powder? or should I buy JI powder too and JI concealer, so all my MU products are by the same brand?

The only issue I have heard of regarding 'mixing' has been using oils (emu, etc) or oily moisturizer causing the foundation to be darker than 'normal'

Using certain sunblocks (avobenzone for one) under your foundation may be 'neutralized' by the titanium dioxide and to some extent the zinc in mmu.

If you already have the products, you may as well test them together and check for discoloration or any other effects you don't like.

I did find that my mary kay concealer went orange when i started wearing JI mmu so it was obvious where id applied it

It works for me. I use Monave foundation, Aubrey Nicole Blush and my powder is about 10 different samples all mixed together.

I'm more of a mmu purist - I don't like to mix'n'match except for the blushes and eye colors. Or if I use serecite, rice powder, or kaolin clay I'm okay with it applied and used as a finishing powder or base.
doze.gif
In fact, only recently will I mix mineral eye shadow with another color that's non-mineral. And, the only reason that happened was because my mmu eye shadow lasts so much longer with the UDPP eye shadow base - so what difference does it make if you apply mineral makeup with non-mineral makeup when the base is non-mineral anyway?

I hate to interchange my Everyday Minerals, Aubrey Nicole, or Ocean Mist with each other - except for the blushes. For some reason that doesn't bother me. However, it STILL bothers me to put on non mmu blush over my mmu! Go figure - Wacko!
drunken_smilie.gif

CooCoo
15d.gif

I use lots of different brands of mmu together, and occassionally store bought brands as well. Never had a problem. I haven't found a mmu concealer I really love yet. I usually like the cream based ones. My favorite concealer is theBalm, and I use it with mineral foundation with no problem. Anyone recommend a good mmu concealer? I have been toying with the idea of trying to make my own cream based one.

I do it all the time. Start off with AN foundation buffed in the skin and either Monave or EDM foundation on top of that (at least until I get a primer!). Eyeshadows are either Twisted Fayte, Aromaleigh, Lumiere, MAD Minerals, Fyrinnae... blushes are usually Bare Escentuals, EDM, or Valerie Beauty.... finishing powders/mineral veils can be Bare Escentuals, Valerie Beauty, or whatever!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by etselec /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use lots of different brands of mmu together, and occassionally store bought brands as well. Never had a problem. I haven't found a mmu concealer I really love yet. I usually like the cream based ones. My favorite concealer is theBalm, and I use it with mineral foundation with no problem. Anyone recommend a good mmu concealer? I have been toying with the idea of trying to make my own cream based one. Welcome!It seems (to me anyway) that a lot of people still use a regular concealer. If you come up with one, please post it on the miy thread - I want to also, but haven't gotten around to trying.

I mix everything. It is the look of the end result I'm going for -- so do whatever it takes to get there!

I mix my stuff up too:

Mineral Primer - Alima

Foundation - Monave

Finishing Powder - Monave

Mineral Concealer - EDM

I mix several different brands. I really don't think it makes any difference at all.

I was using Jane Iredale liquid minerals with Mary Kay signature concealer and Clinique loose powder and it wasnt going too well.. My concealer was orange patches where Id applied it. And I looked orangey alltogether.

Ive gone on a shopping spree..well I bought 3 things and it skint me!

All my bases are Jane Iredale now. Primer, Foundation, Concealer and powder.

I hope this will solve my problem as I was going off mmu due to the look I was getting.

Latest posts

Back