Modeling Advice?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are some beautiful ladies on here that model and I was hoping I could ask some advice. I've been asked to appear in a shoot (that will be "Maxim-like"?) in February. I've never modeled before, I'm 5'2" and didn't think that would be an option for me. Honestly, it's not something I see myself getting into, I'm very dedicated to my career and veterinary school. At the same time it does sound fun and I'm curious about the experience. I try to keep in mind we only live once and trying new things is the spice of your lifetime.

I suppose what I'm asking for is some pointers and thoughts. I'm aware of what implied nude means and also what time for print entails. I'm fine with wearing a swimsuit or lingerie as long as it's tasteful and nothing is photographed that would not be seen on the beach. Is it acceptable (professional? common?) for a photographer to approach a potential client on Myspace of all places? I'm not sure how to check a photographer's references or what should be on a model release to keep my best interests in mind.

I'm sorry if these are obvious questions but I really have no idea how to go about getting the information I need. If anyone has some links or experiences to share I'd be most grateful.

I was in the same boat as you once but I never accepted any of the offers and decided it wasn't for me.

To check for references, all you need to ask is for the photographer to supply them also ask to see his/her previous work.

Sorry, I couldn't help any more as I never progressed farther into it.

I am a little weary at the fact that the person (I am assuming a he) contacted you through myspace.

The photographer's portfolio and any contacts and references for him should be readily available to you prior to the photoshoot. Also, the two of you should be meeting up to go over the contract/model release form prior to the photoshoot.

You need to ask, is this a paying job or is it a portfolio trade type deal (free pictures for your portfolio for photos of you in his portfolio). The latter usually means that no photo of you taken by the photographer could be used for profit unless specified in the model contract/release form <-- VERY IMPORTANT!!! You need to know if its going to be a profit shoot (ie photographs will be sold) then you need to know if you're getting paid one lump some or if you will be getting any residuals (usually for campaign shots - not typical of catalog photo shoots which what yours sounds like). ETA: Make sure the modeling contract/release form includes something like if the pictures are not for profit today - will they be tomorrow? And if so... how are you covered? Its really all business stuff. And of course feel free to negotiate pay.

Oh and you probably know this but for anyone else who reads this thread - you should not be the one paying them to photograph you.

Oh! Another good thing to know - will you be the only model in the shoot? I've met some crazies in my time (since you're describing stuff similar to what I've done) and my personal advice is watch your stuff.

And money sucks btw - so yes keep with your career and do this as pocket change and for the experience.
smile.gif

GL!

Thank you all so much for all the great advice. I've asked to see his portfolio and references and we'll see if this photographer has any such things to speak of. I was given some good links and some sample model releases to look over so I'll know what my potential paperwork will look like and what everything means.

Saje, thanks to you I also asked if I would be the only model (and if so, let him know that I'm bringing a male friend along no matter what) and inquired about profit from the photos. We'll see what he has to say in his reply and I'll go from there. Thank you so much for the pointers!
smile.gif

Thats wonderful! That is the best thing to always do too - bring a male friend and know what youre talking about. That way, whether the guy is legit or not, he knows you know your stuff!

GL again!

Back