Modeling World

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you think a girl who is 5'6 versus 5'11 has a chance in the modeling world? (my case) I'm 5'6 and 105 lbs.

Or a girl who isn't super slim has a chance?

Do you think the modeling world is changing and will give opportunities to the girl who isn't very tall or the girl who isn't very slim? I hope it will change, do you think were headed in that direction or are most designers fixed in their way?

Well I don't know. As far as modeling for stuff in magazines and beauty modeling I think it doesn't matter as much, as far as runway modeling goes, sadly I think they mostly want tall girls. I know for like ANTM you have to be at least 5'7 to even get on the show and the 5'7/5'8 girls are critisezed for being so short. But Eva was the shortest girl in the house and she won her season, but it's not like any of that is like trying to make it in the real world.

It depends on what type of modeling you are talking about. But with the way you describe it, you are talking about high fashion. And I doubt it will change any time soon. at 5'6 - that is already too short and weight is and always will be a factor too.

Let me add though, at your height and weight, even if you cant make it at high end modeling, there is always commercial modeling and print - I also believe that having a look that is not like "every other girl's look" can definitely get you in.

best bet is to become a famous (or infamous) celebrity and then go into modeling... seems to be how magazines work lately.

Originally Posted by Saje /img/forum/go_quote.gif It depends on what type of modeling you are talking about. But with the way you describe it, you are talking about high fashion. And I doubt it will change any time soon. at 5'6 - that is already too short and weight is and always will be a factor too.
Let me add though, at your height and weight, even if you cant make it at high end modeling, there is always commercial modeling and print - I also believe that having a look that is not like "every other girl's look" can definitely get you in.

iagree.gif

Okay, I'm not going to surgar coat it for you:

Standing at almost 5'10", sometimes even I would be considered to short for the runway, depending on the designer. The average for runway is 5'11". For editorial print, the cut-off is 5'9". Just about the only thing they'll take 5'6" for, are dept. store catalogs and convenience store ads... they could never use someone that height to display high fashion, Haute Couture, or Prête à Porter, they always want a longer canvas, you see?

-But-

Of course there are exceptions. Kate Moss rose to super model status even being short at 5'6"... but you have to look at that objectively. She did not get to fame wearing couture on the runway...she would have tripped on the dresses. She had the instinctive ability to pose, which is something most models lack, hence even though she was short, a simple classic label like Calvin Klein offered her a contract. Notice alot of the contracts she's ever had... everything with posing... handbags, lipstick. Sometimes she gets designer labels, but they are of the simplier (non-fancy variety) Burberry, Klein, etc. But still, look how well she's done.

With plus size modelling (size 8 - 14) they relax the height a little bit, so the average is about 5'10", both in editorial and runway. I think they may take someone 5'8", but 5'7" is so much on the edge that I don't know about your situation. I think it's case by case. You have to be a very exceptional person to fill the shoes without the height.

All in all, what I'm saying is, yes, there is a "standard", and the industry does not typically like to deviate from it. And while there is nothing you can do about your height, the body is such a workable, moldable thing, that you do have some leeway to become the next exceptiopnal model. Work hard and perservere, you may find just that opening you're looking for.

That's a very good question. I'm mostly inspired by Eva and how she won in spite of her height. I could say that ANTM is changing but lately have slacked off because they're choosing the same height type of girls. I'm very sure that if you have the personality and fit the overall look that they're looking for,then you could possibly become the best model out there. Most modeling agencies go for look, but mostly for personality. SO in my opinon, I say that it's not all about how you look, but what you have to offer.

For runway, the cutoff is 5'7", but they definitely prefer people 5'8" plus. You could do modeling for petites, though. And beauty modeling.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay, I'm not going to surgar coat it for you:
Standing at almost 5'10", sometimes even I would be considered to short for the runway, depending on the designer. The average for runway is 5'11". For editorial print, the cut-off is 5'9". Just about the only thing they'll take 5'6" for, are dept. store catalogs and convenience store ads... they could never use someone that height to display high fashion, Haute Couture, or Prête à Porter, they always want a longer canvas, you see?

-But-

Of course there are exceptions. Kate Moss rose to super model status even being short at 5'6"... but you have to look at that objectively. She did not get to fame wearing couture on the runway...she would have tripped on the dresses. She had the instinctive ability to pose, which is something most models lack, hence even though she was short, a simple classic label like Calvin Klein offered her a contract. Notice alot of the contracts she's ever had... everything with posing... handbags, lipstick. Sometimes she gets designer labels, but they are of the simplier (non-fancy variety) Burberry, Klein, etc. But still, look how well she's done.

With plus size modelling (size 8 - 14) they relax the height a little bit, so the average is about 5'10", both in editorial and runway. I think they may take someone 5'8", but 5'7" is so much on the edge that I don't know about your situation. I think it's case by case. You have to be a very exceptional person to fill the shoes without the height.

All in all, what I'm saying is, yes, there is a "standard", and the industry does not typically like to deviate from it. And while there is nothing you can do about your height, the body is such a workable, moldable thing, that you do have some leeway to become the next exceptiopnal model. Work hard and perservere, you may find just that opening you're looking for.

Thanks for the great advice Nox!

Originally Posted by angellove /img/forum/go_quote.gif 5'7''?? how much is that in cm? That is 170.2 cm, AngelLove.
When someone says 5 feet (5'), that eqauls 60 inches by itself. And usually, the 5' number is next to another number like 6" or 7" or 8". That second number means inches.

So 5'7" is --> 60" + 7" = 67"

How I calculated cm:

67 * 2.54 =170.2

I hope that helps!
smile.gif

It is difficult to make a living modeling, so make sure you have a backup plan or a day job. You most likely won't be able to get high fashion or runway work, but there is always a lot of need for people of all shapes sizes and colors for other types of advertising. You might want to look into commercial modeling for stock photographers, and also work as an extra for film and tv. If you have any acting training or experience you'll do better. Promotional modeling is another one, where you work at events and hand out samples or promote products at trade shows.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif That is 170.2 cm, AngelLove.
When someone says 5 feet (5'), that eqauls 60 inches by itself. And usually, the 5' number is next to another number like 6" or 7" or 8". That second number means inches.

How I calculated cm:

67 * 2.54 =170.2

I hope that helps!
smile.gif

thanks dear

While runway is almost certaintly out of the question....there are many other types of modeling you can do. Print, commercial. specialty etc.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif That is 170.2 cm, AngelLove.

How I calculated cm:

67 * 2.54 =170.2

I hope that helps!
smile.gif

ah, interesting. I always thought I´m 5`7 ( I´m 173cm tall..so I guess that makes me 5`8. Cool lol)

I second to what others said, if you are short for runway, you can still do the print, TV commercial, senior, maternity, speciality (if you have beautiful legs you can be a "legs model")

Just try submit many reputable agencies as possible, don't just give up because of agency A denied you. keep trying others, each agency look for different type of girls.

I think there's story that even Claudia Schiffer(or other famous model) didn't get the contract with an agency at the beginning of her career.

Runway designers tend to want a walking "hanger" basically. They dont want a girl with curves screwing up their design. There are many types of modelling though. Magazines, Ad's , catalogs etc. They all pay well!

Latest posts

Back