Moms and makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone one,My name is Gwendolyn and I have two kids ,Atwo yr girl and a 3 yrold boy. Sometimes when I go makeup shopping or looking I get so much crap from people like I shouldnt be there cause I have kids or that I shouldnt love makeup just as much as the teen girls do.Have any of the mothers out there have a similiar experiance?Yeah I have kids and sometimes they whine,But I should be able to enjoy doing the things I love instead of staying locked in at home.

Originally Posted by nydoll23 Hey everyone one,My name is Gwendolyn and I have two kids ,Atwo yr girl and a 3 yrold boy. Sometimes when I go makeup shopping or looking I get so much crap from people like I shouldnt be there cause I have kids or that I shouldnt love makeup just as much as the teen girls do.Have any of the mothers out there have a similiar experiance?Yeah I have kids and sometimes they whine,But I should be able to enjoy doing the things I love instead of staying locked in at home. People actually said that to you?? Tell them to mind their own damn business -go out & enjoy yourself with your children (they're people too) They grow up too fast, so enjoy them while they're young. I wish I could of kept mine as babies forever - they kept me young.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by nydoll23 Hey everyone one,My name is Gwendolyn and I have two kids ,Atwo yr girl and a 3 yrold boy. Sometimes when I go makeup shopping or looking I get so much crap from people like I shouldnt be there cause I have kids or that I shouldnt love makeup just as much as the teen girls do.Have any of the mothers out there have a similiar experiance?Yeah I have kids and sometimes they whine,But I should be able to enjoy doing the things I love instead of staying locked in at home. Moms come to my counter all the time with their kids! You shouldn't feel bad about your love for makeup at all!

Originally Posted by Trisha I dont have kids, but its ridiculous that people pass judgement on your actions! Ignore them, its your life, as long as your kids are well looked after, you can enjoy yourself x I always watch my kids to the best of my ability,but its so funny,sometimes people look at you like you should muzzle your kids
icon_twisted.gif
I know the mac people dont care ,because I always manage to leave with a little something

icon_eek.gif

why would they give you bad looks?!?! i've seen lots of moms go shopping with their kids. half or more than half of the mu counters are for women, not teenagers. i can understand how it can be irritating when kids are throwing tantrums and screaming at the top of their lungs. but just being there with kids is different. just ignore them i guess.

Originally Posted by nydoll23 I always watch my kids to the best of my ability,but its so funny,sometimes people look at you like you should muzzle your kids
icon_twisted.gif
I know the mac people dont care ,because I always manage to leave with a little something Dont worry guys,I dont let peoples ignorance stop me,it just sometimes gets annoying,But my thing is as long as my kids are in the stroller and not running down the aisles like nuts Its ok.Also I am spending money like everyone else.

Originally Posted by nydoll23 I always watch my kids to the best of my ability,but its so funny,sometimes people look at you like you should muzzle your kids
icon_twisted.gif
I know the mac people dont care ,because I always manage to leave with a little something I'll get frustrated sometimes if I'm trying to do a makeup application while someone has a squirming, crying kid in their lap. Hard to do makeup when you've got a little guy grabbing my brush and putting lipsticks in his mouth!
icon_rolleyes.gif

But hey, my mom took me shopping with her all the time. You shouldn't feel bad about taking your kids along with you. That's just life.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux I'll get frustrated sometimes if I'm trying to do a makeup application while someone has a squirming, crying kid in their lap. Hard to do makeup when you've got a little guy grabbing my brush and putting lipsticks in his mouth!
icon_rolleyes.gif

But hey, my mom took me shopping with her all the time. You shouldn't feel bad about taking your kids along with you. That's just life.

I know what you mean,Baby druel is only fun for babys mom .Of course there are times when it is not a good time to have your kids with you,but sometimes people forget that the mom might not have anyone to leave the kids with,which sucks for her just as much as it does for others

what gets to me is when the kid(s) screaming and the mom doesn't do anything. that's when i get irritated. i don't have kids yet but, we'd be outside in a corner until they stop. and a little smack on the butt if they're being a little brat. i would dare someone to give me a bad look or tell me what to do with my kid if they saw me do that too!

Originally Posted by Liz what gets to me is when the kid(s) screaming and the mom doesn't do anything. that's when i get irritated. i don't have kids yet but, we'd be outside in a corner until they stop. and a little smack on the butt if they're being a little brat. i would dare someone to give me a bad look or tell me what to do with my kid if they saw me do that too! Sometimes I get frustrated and a little embarrassed when my kids act up, but sometimes Its funny when people are looking at me and my husband like"Who's gonna smack those kids first"
icon_twisted.gif
A pat a the butt is OK, I hate when parents take it to the next level. Just this mothers day,I went with my husband and kids to a animal adoption shelter and there was a couple with a little girl who had to be a least five.Well this dad went completely off on this poor little girl for crying.She seemed like she was just tired and a bit cranky. This dad kept smacking her and threatening her ,and at one point he told her if she threw up he was going to make her eat it. I felt so sick I wanted to smack him myself.But those are the kind of situations that you have to be very careful if you choose to get involved

Originally Posted by nydoll23 Sometimes I get frustrated and a little embarrassed when my kids act up, but sometimes Its funny when people are looking at me and my husband like"Who's gonna smack those kids first"
icon_twisted.gif
A pat a the butt is OK, I hate when parents take it to the next level. Just this mothers day,I went with my husband and kids to a animal adoption shelter and there was a couple with a little girl who had to be a least five.Well this dad went completely off on this poor little girl for crying.She seemed like she was just tired and a bit cranky. This dad kept smacking her and threatening her ,and at one point he told her if she threw up he was going to make her eat it. I felt so sick I wanted to smack him myself.But those are the kind of situations that you have to be very careful if you choose to get involved Oh god! I've seen situations like that in public and it makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm not a mom, but I take my nieces (5 & 7) w/shopping w/me @ times. When I take my 2 1/2-yr-old nephew, I only get weird looks if he's behaving completely awful, which luckily only happened for 15 seconds.

I don't have a problem w/women who shop w/their children, but I've seen babies who need to be nursed, get completely ignored by a mom who continues to shop. It doesn't take much to put something on hold, step outside to feed the baby, then come back. It pains me to see a baby/child have his/her mommy forget about feeding or changing cries.
icon_cry.gif

if my kid was throwing a fit, i would be going home. you can always do something like shopping another time.

isaw this on dr. phil one day:

if your eating out, and one kid starts acting up, one parent needs to go in the car with them. they'll see that while they sit in the car, their sibling is getting to stay inside and eat. so what if the mom/dad has to sit in the car, that's "the price you have to pay when you're a parent".

I do feel what you're saying Gwendolyn. I have 3 kids, ages 10, 6 1/2 and 4. I have been raising them as a single mom for over 3 years and it's really hard to do errands sometimes. There are times I just want to look in the MU section, or hair color section, or whatever...while I'm grocery shopping. The kids are usually pretty patient but I feel people watching me and I imagine they're thinking "what is she doing just staring at boxes of hair color??? Why doesn't she just get her pull-ups and Pop Tarts and get going?" LOL
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and don't you hate it when you are looking at something, and your kids are in the shopping cart, not bothering a soul, and then some girl with a scowl comes by and keeps glaring at you b/c your cart is taking up so much space that she can't get close enough to see what she needs to see. Like she has more right to be there than you, even if you were there first!!

People need to realize you can't always get a babysitter, nor should you have to. This is the real world and we all need to live in it and get along, right!

I'm done!
icon_lol.gif

You are the one taking care of your child/children. If they aren't contributing to the "raise your child fund" don't pay them any mind. They don't know what happens in your home.

Happy Shopping!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I will sound like I'm bragging in this response, but in some ways I happen to live in shopping / makeup heaven - Japan!

I go shopping with my 7 year old all the time and have for several years. He is always welcome and even when he acts silly, the sales staff do nothing but comment on how cute he is. Typically, at least on SA will entertain him, play with him, give him pen and paper and draw with him, while I get my makeup done.

If someone gives you dirty looks, I'd just take my business elsewhere. You and your children have every right to go shopping and expect good service!

Originally Posted by glamslam I do feel what you're saying Gwendolyn. I have 3 kids, ages 10, 6 1/2 and 4. I have been raising them as a single mom for over 3 years and it's really hard to do errands sometimes. There are times I just want to look in the MU section, or hair color section, or whatever...while I'm grocery shopping. The kids are usually pretty patient but I feel people watching me and I imagine they're thinking "what is she doing just staring at boxes of hair color??? Why doesn't she just get her pull-ups and Pop Tarts and get going?" LOL
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and don't you hate it when you are looking at something, and your kids are in the shopping cart, not bothering a soul, and then some girl with a scowl comes by and keeps glaring at you b/c your cart is taking up so much space that she can't get close enough to see what she needs to see. Like she has more right to be there than you, even if you were there first!!

People need to realize you can't always get a babysitter, nor should you have to. This is the real world and we all need to live in it and get along, right!

I'm done!
icon_lol.gif

Thanks guys for your opinions,Its nice to know I'm not nuts and not the only
tongue.gif
one!

I have a 5 year old daughter and that never happened to me. They usually put a lip gloss on her for fun. They ask me first of course if it is okay to do so
icon_smile.gif
I love taking my daughter to shopping and she enjoys it as much too. You should just tell them to mind their business just like Karen said...

Originally Posted by nydoll23 Hey everyone one,My name is Gwendolyn and I have two kids ,Atwo yr girl and a 3 yrold boy. Sometimes when I go makeup shopping or looking I get so much crap from people like I shouldnt be there cause I have kids or that I shouldnt love makeup just as much as the teen girls do.Have any of the mothers out there have a similiar experiance?Yeah I have kids and sometimes they whine,But I should be able to enjoy doing the things I love instead of staying locked in at home.

Latest posts

Back