Mosquito Bites help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's a good remedy to stop the itch? I literally have 10 on one arm and my lower legs are just as bad. Word to the wise, grapeseed oil did nothing for me as a deterrent. I'll never stray from OFF Skintastic again.

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
step.gif
</td> <td> Steps: </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 1. </td> <td> Wash the infected area with soap and water as soon as you recognize that you've been bitten. Try to keep the site clean and dry until the irritation abates. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 2. </td> <td> Avoid scratching. Although a mosquito bite should itch for only a few days, continual scratching will increase your discomfort and may prolong the itching. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 3. </td> <td> Make a paste of baking soda and water, using just enough water to make the paste sticky. Spread the mixture on the bites. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 4. </td> <td> Rub soap directly on the bite. This is an oft-repeated home remedy for mosquito bites. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 5. </td> <td> Apply an ice pack or ice wrapped in a washcloth to the bite area. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 6. </td> <td> Use calamine lotion or a topical anesthetic containing pramoxine to help relieve pain and itching. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 7. </td> <td> Purchase 1-percent hydrocortisone cream to alleviate the itching. Follow directions on the package for safe use. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 8. </td> <td> Use an anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce any accompanying swelling or redness.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Thanks for the quick response, Marisol. I know I have some Cortaid around here somewhere. I love this place, everyone is always so helpful.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Sofia Thanks for the quick response, Marisol. I know I have some Cortaid around here somewhere. I love this place, everyone is always so helpful.
smile.gif
My pleasure! Hope these tips help!

wow. that's a lot of steps! hehe.

Originally Posted by Marisol <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
step.gif
</td> <td> Steps: </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 1. </td> <td> Wash the infected area with soap and water as soon as you recognize that you've been bitten. Try to keep the site clean and dry until the irritation abates. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 2. </td> <td> Avoid scratching. Although a mosquito bite should itch for only a few days, continual scratching will increase your discomfort and may prolong the itching. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 3. </td> <td> Make a paste of baking soda and water, using just enough water to make the paste sticky. Spread the mixture on the bites. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 4. </td> <td> Rub soap directly on the bite. This is an oft-repeated home remedy for mosquito bites. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 5. </td> <td> Apply an ice pack or ice wrapped in a washcloth to the bite area. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 6. </td> <td> Use calamine lotion or a topical anesthetic containing pramoxine to help relieve pain and itching. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 7. </td> <td> Purchase 1-percent hydrocortisone cream to alleviate the itching. Follow directions on the package for safe use. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" valign="top"> 8. </td> <td> Use an anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce any accompanying swelling or redness.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Here are some other tips that I found.

Applying lemon juice to mosquito bites will make them itchier for a few minutes, but then the itchiness will disappear completely.

Rub a dab of mint toothpaste (not the gel kind) on an insect bite, and the itching disappears! This works for me, and it might work for you.

I am an adult whom mosquitoes love to bite. When I get biten, I run to the shower and turn on the hot water and as hot as I can handle, I wet my bites for a while. It takes out any venom and gives great relieve.

Get any kind of solid or roll on deodorant and rub on bite . It will help with itch and swelling. Don't know why but do it all the time.

Take eye reddness remedies Visine or Murine and squirt a touch on the infected area, the swelling and itching are gone in minutes!

Our family uses Vicks Vaporub.

Apply a dab directly to the bite. Not only does the itching stop but the welt also goes away.

Wet down a bar of soap. Rub it onto the bite until it turns into a white paste. Let it dry. Don't scratch it for a few minutes and the itching will go away.

If you paint your mosquito bite with clear nail polish, it stops the itching. You can use a nail polish with color, if you don't mind colored dots all over you.

Wow, I've never heard of most of these. I was outside last night and everyone else kept complaining about getting bitten, but I didn't feel a thing, until tonight that is. Now I'm covered in them and more keep reappearing. It's like I have a delayed reaction to them or something. I think I may have to try multiple remedies and see which works the fastest and the best.

If you try the nail polish one, let me know. I am curious to see if it would work.

whenever i get bitten i never even realize it cuz i just dont scratch it or if i do scratch i stop and then forget soemthing bit me lol and then they just go away but if its really itchy i put cortait on it which works really fast

Originally Posted by Marisol If you try the nail polish one, let me know. I am curious to see if it would work. Hi everyone, i'm new to posting on the boards so i'd just like to say hello; and while im at it, i was wondering if these same techniques would work for flea bites because i am covered (literally) with them. look forward to hearing back from everyone
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by looooch Hi everyone, i'm new to posting on the boards so i'd just like to say hello; and while im at it, i was wondering if these same techniques would work for flea bites because i am covered (literally) with them. look forward to hearing back from everyone
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Welcome to MUT. I am Marisol from San Francisco and look forward to getting to know you.Flea bites... ouch.. all I can suggest is that maybe you try to go to the doctor so that they don't get infected. Sorry I am not much help.

Originally Posted by Marisol Welcome to MUT. I am Marisol from San Francisco and look forward to getting to know you.Flea bites... ouch.. all I can suggest is that maybe you try to go to the doctor so that they don't get infected. Sorry I am not much help.

No worries, thanks for your reply and i look forward to getting to know you and everyone else too. I actually did go to the doctor yesterday and he gave me some steriod cream for the itching
icon_rolleyes.gif
anyhoo, i hope i dont see anything weird from using it
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine Hi looooch, welcome to MuT! I think flea bites are totally different and since they are uncommon, it might be better to have it checked out if it keeps on irritating you. Thanks for the welcome. I guess i'll just have to find a way to get rid of those pests or put up with it because I adore my cats too much.
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Sofia What's a good remedy to stop the itch? I literally have 10 on one arm and my lower legs are just as bad. Word to the wise, grapeseed oil did nothing for me as a deterrent. I'll never stray from OFF Skintastic again. toothpaste! even my teacher said it works....
umm this might sound super weird but some pple say spit on it..something in your saliva....

I love my Gold Bond 'anti-itch' cream... works great!
smile.gif
I have cats too, and living in a place that has lots of trees, grass & woods doesnn't help much either... they're everywhere!!
icon_eek.gif
I find Gold Bond is the best I've tried... especially with mosquitos, which I'm allergic to. One bite will leave me with a round swollen area of skin about 7" around.
icon_neutral.gif

(And I have to make an "X" in the bite with my nail LOL) force of habit I guess... lol works for about 5 min. then it usually starts itching again. LOL

wonderful! thanks so much for everyones help. I can't wait to try it out.
claps.gif

Originally Posted by Naturally Witch Hazel is really good to use ..stops the itch.

This may sound crazy, but I use this itch relief stuff we bought for the dogs. It is made of alcohol and herbal extracts. It stings a bit, but it really gets rid of the itch. It is called Veterinarian's Best Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray. I'm really seriously allergic to mosquitoes and fleas. I actually have scars from bites last fall.

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl This may sound crazy, but I use this itch relief stuff we bought for the dogs. It is made of alcohol and herbal extracts. It stings a bit, but it really gets rid of the itch. It is called Veterinarian's Best Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray. I'm really seriously allergic to mosquitoes and fleas. I actually have scars from bites last fall. This years outbreak has been the craziest and most irritating one yet. I'd hate to see it get any worse. I probably cant wear shorts for along time until all these ugly marks are healed. Anyways, i am tempted to get my cats flea collars and other treatments, but i was holding back because i dont want to use any harmful chemicals on them. If the lable warns you against letting the product touch your skin then why would you want to put that harmful stuff on your animals? well, we'll see how all the treatments for the itching goes...at least i can get some relief in the meantime. Thanks everyone again
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i use a really good product from derma e. it's a tea tree and e creme or gel. the gel is great in the summer. cooling and antiseptic, and the ability to repel insects is an added bonus. i also use the cream as a pre-wax/tweeze preparation. here's a link. hope it helps! http://www.dermae.net/

Originally Posted by Sofia What's a good remedy to stop the itch? I literally have 10 on one arm and my lower legs are just as bad. Word to the wise, grapeseed oil did nothing for me as a deterrent. I'll never stray from OFF Skintastic again.

Latest posts

Back