Most Flattering Haircuts for Face Shapes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most Flattering Haircuts for Face Shapes - Plus What Cuts to Avoid
No matter your face shape, there will be cuts that look best on you. (Except for this style which looks great on almost everyone). Here's a quick guide of what to look for and what to avoid for 5 different face shapes. Pick yours to determine what's the most flattering haircut for your face shape.

Oval: This is the most versatile face. You can pull off almost any look -- short, long, straight or wavy. No matter the length of your cut, you'll look best with layers near your cheekbones, lips or chin -- basically whatever feature you want to highlight.
Styles that are super hot now: Choppy bobs, long waves and shoulder-skimming shags.
Celebs who share your face shape: Think Kate Hudson, Jessica Alba, Jada Pinkett Smith
Avoid: Short layers that add height on top of your head. This will make your face appear long. If your hair is thick or curly, avoid a blunt cut. You'll look like a pyramid. For more information, check out this photo gallery of best hairstyles for oval face shapes.
Tools you can't live without: A great curling iron and flat iron to create waves and straighten your sleek locks.

Long or 'oblong': For straight hair, you can create more width with bangs. Long, side-swept bangs are very modern. Chin-length bobs and cuts are also ideal for you because they create the illusion of width. Curls and waves also add width, but avoid short layers that add volume on top. See, for example, Halle Berry's hair cut on the right. The intense volume on top adds length to her already long face. For more information, check out this photo gallery of best hairstyles for long face shapes.
Super hot styles now: Long layers.
Celebs who share your face shape: Sarah Jessica Parker, Ashlee Simpson, Giselle Bundchen
Avoid: Stay away from extremely long or short cuts. These elongate your face. If you must have long hair past your shoulders, make sure to cut in a few long layers, especially around the face. You might also consider a v-shaped style, where the length is mainly in the back, while the sides and front of your hair seem shorter.
Styling tools you can't live without: A great volumizer. My favorite is Bumble and Bumble Thickening Spray, I also love the hairspray Big Sexy Hair Flip it Over Full and Wild.

Round: Your best bet are styles that fall right below your chin or add a little volume on top. Soft, graduated layers are also a great bet because they make your face appear slimmer and tend to remove bulk and weight from the sides. Bangs are flattering, but keep them long or sideswept. Go for wispy and tapered ends. These de-emphasize the roundness of your face.
Celebs who share your face shape: Fergie, Kate Bosworth, Oprah Winfrey, Cameron Diaz, Kirsten Dunst, Michelle Williams, Catherine Zeta-Jones
Tools you need: A great Boar's Hair brush to keep hair tame.

Square: If you have a square face, you'll want to play down your strong, angular jaw. Texture, in the form of curls or choppy ends, do this brilliantly. You can also get away with short, spiky cuts and long, sleek styles with layers that start at the jawline and continue downward.
Celebs who share your face shape: Gwyneth Paltrow, Demi Moore, Mandy Moore and Rosario Dawson
Avoid: One-length bobs (especially chin-length) and blunt-cut bangs. These will make your face look even more square.

Heart: Your pointy chin tends to be the focal point of your face. Draw attention to your eyes and cheekbones instead with sideswept bangs (these act almost like arrows to your eyes or cheeks), brow-grazing fringe, a strong part and hair that falls at or below your jawline. Have short hair? Keep top layers soft and long. Long hair? Go for wavy layers that graze your cheekbones.
Celebs who share your face shape: Katie Holmes, Jennifer Lopez, Rachel Bilson, Reese Witherspoon, Ziyi Zhang
Avoid: Blunt-cut bangs and harsh, choppy layers.

Want more photos of hairstyles? Check out our extensive gallery of hairstyles. You'll find:

Sexy short cuts

Best celebrity hairstyles

Prom and wedding hairstyles

SOURCE

A good haircut can make such a difference! Thanks for posting.
smile.gif

Yeah, I have no idea what my faceshap is. Supposedly, you can take a board marker, look in the mirror really closely, and trace your face shape onto the mirror. I have never tried it, but if I get super board, I will do it! Thanks for sharing!

Oval: This is the most versatile face. You can pull off almost any look -- short, long, straight or wavy. No matter the length of your cut, you'll look best with layers near your cheekbones, lips or chin -- basically whatever feature you want to highlight.

I need to get these layers ASAP!

I think I have a round race, how do I find hair cuts that would work for my face shape?

Latest posts

Back