Mother at Large!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mother at Large!!

(sorry off the beauty topic)

Back In June, the director of MakeupTalk...Reija, had read an article in a local Orange County magazine that that a reader had sent in regarding SPANKING children when they don't eat. The periodical, www.ocfamily.com, is super popular here in Southern CA and is read by many. This letter really pissed her off. So she wrote a rebuttal to the letter and sent it into the publishers of OC family. They liked her rebuttal so much that they published it in the August edition. But unfortunately, the editors CHOPPED the article up. At anyrate, I wanted to show you how she felt. I'll try to located the article

Here is Reijas Original Comments:

I was reading the June OC Family magazine and got truly disturbed by a letter written by a father (John Franklin)of 4 kids regarding Child's Nutrition. He talks about spanking your child if he doesn't eat and then hugging the child and telling the child it's OK you are still loved. I can't help but feel truly sorry for the kids of this father who is showing his kids that he has NO OTHER WAY to deal with his kids AS a MATURE adult but spank them. I think it shows your own weakness as a parent if you have to spank your child to get your message across. I can't believe anybody would spank their kids let alone over food. Food is suppose to feed your body the nutrition it needs and it's suppose to be an enjoyable thing. As a parent you are teaching your child a lifelong way of eating and if your parenting consists of spanking your child when he doesn't want to eat his broccoli, I seriously doubt that he is going to eat that as an adult. As a parent you are suppose to set an example as to how to eat and treat your body right and what a good nutrition consists of. No wonder we have so much obesity in this country if kids are forced to eat more than their body is telling them to. Do you feel like eating broccoli every day as an adult? Probably not because there are days when you want to eat different foods than other days. It's been proven that children have the ability to consume the correct nutrition through out a week's period that gives them everything they need to grow provided that it's being given to them as an option to eat. And please note the period is a whole week not 24 hours. No child will ever be able nor is it even necessary to eat enough within 24 hour period to give the body everything it needs. My son has been at 95% percentile in the growth charts his whole life and he loves his vegetables and fruit and other healthy foods. Our son was raised to know what "good" and "bad" foods are. Our child knows that we don't eat unhealthy foods like anything that have hydrogenated oils in them. The only time he gets unhealthy foods (processed foods) is at school. We have never spanked him and never will. When he was a toddler he was even allowed to eat his desert at times first because we knew it would stimulate his appetite and he would eat his meal without "useless power struggle". Our son's pediatrician happens to be the top pediatrician in the country, Dr. William Sears (of www.askdrsears.com/), and thank god for him and his parental and nutritional guidance because without him a lot of kids would be way worse off than they are know. I can't help but think of the poor 4 kids mentioned in this letter who get spanked if they don't eat their meal. I can only imagine how they are going to feel about food as adults. No wonder a child doesn't want to eat if he or she is being raised knowing that spanking and food somehow go together. I ask all parents out there not to do this with your child. If you wish to spank your child and show your own weakness as a parent, that you can't control yourself nor your kids without hitting them, then that's one thing but at least don't do it over food/meal times. We have enough child obesity in this country and it's our responsibility as parents to stop/prevent it and spanking your child over food is not the way to do it if you are looking to raise your child to have a healthy attitude about his body, nutrition and eating.

Reija Eden

Director MakeupTalk.com

Huntington Beach, CA

Here is the article they published:

reija-article.gif

Originally Posted by Jules Oh my god! What an idiot this guy must be spanking his kids? Old school! Much better and more effective ways of disciplining children.
icon_eek.gif
Excellent article by Reija. I wish they'd included the entire thing. I can understand why they did not publish the doc's name (legalities), but the letter was very convincing and really drives the point home.
I got spanked and slapped and punched. I can't say that it really makes me want to eat my veggies either. LOL! It also gave me the message, as a kid, that my parents and grandparents were weak. I have forgiven though. I know where they came from. It can be sooooo frustrating dealing with kids.

I could have done without being punched in the stomach and in the nose though. I still remember it vividly. It is very hard to trust anyone who will hurt you.

Kudos Reija, I am impressed. Thanks for voicing this!!!! Big time!

i have to wonder how many people have carried some serious food issues to adulthood because of a combination of forced eating and physical abuse. when i was at the ages of 5-7, my mothers husband at the time would set a timer and force me to finish my food. when i wouldnt, it was time for a serious spanking. guess what? i still wont eat tomatoes.

icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin)

Mother at Large!! (sorry off the beauty topic)

Back In June, the director of MakeupTalk...Reija, had read an article in a local Orange County magazine that that a reader had sent in regarding SPANKING children when they don't eat. The periodical, www.ocfamily.com, is super popular here in Southern CA and is read by many. This letter really pissed her off. So she wrote a rebuttal to the letter and sent it into the publishers of OC family. They liked her rebuttal so much that they published it in the August edition. But unfortunately, the editors CHOPPED the article up. At anyrate, I wanted to show you how she felt. I'll try to located the article

I was reading the June OC Family magazine and got truly disturbed by a letter written by a father (John Franklin)of 4 kids regarding Child's Nutrition. He talks about spanking your child if he doesn't eat and then hugging the child and telling the child it's OK you are still loved. I can't help but feel truly sorry for the kids of this father who is showing his kids that he has NO OTHER WAY to deal with his kids AS a MATURE adult but spank them. I think it shows your own weakness as a parent if you have to spank your child to get your message across. I can't believe anybody would spank their kids let alone over food. Food is suppose to feed your body the nutrition it needs and it's suppose to be an enjoyable thing. As a parent you are teaching your child a lifelong way of eating and if your parenting consists of spanking your child when he doesn't want to eat his broccoli, I seriously doubt that he is going to eat that as an adult. As a parent you are suppose to set an example as to how to eat and treat your body right and what a good nutrition consists of. No wonder we have so much obesity in this country if kids are forced to eat more than their body is telling them to. Do you feel like eating broccoli every day as an adult? Probably not because there are days when you want to eat different foods than other days. It's been proven that children have the ability to consume the correct nutrition through out a week's period that gives them everything they need to grow provided that it's being given to them as an option to eat. And please note the period is a whole week not 24 hours. No child will ever be able nor is it even necessary to eat enough within 24 hour period to give the body everything it needs. My son has been at 95% percentile in the growth charts his whole life and he loves his vegetables and fruit and other healthy foods. Our son was raised to know what "good" and "bad" foods are. Our child knows that we don't eat unhealthy foods like anything that have hydrogenated oils in them. The only time he gets unhealthy foods (processed foods) is at school. We have never spanked him and never will. When he was a toddler he was even allowed to eat his desert at times first because we knew it would stimulate his appetite and he would eat his meal without "useless power struggle". Our son's pediatrician happens to be the top pediatrician in the country, Dr. William Sears (of www.askdrsears.com/), and thank god for him and his parental and nutritional guidance because without him a lot of kids would be way worse off than they are know. I can't help but think of the poor 4 kids mentioned in this letter who get spanked if they don't eat their meal. I can only imagine how they are going to feel about food as adults. No wonder a child doesn't want to eat if he or she is being raised knowing that spanking and food somehow go together. I ask all parents out there not to do this with your child. If you wish to spank your child and show your own weakness as a parent, that you can't control yourself nor your kids without hitting them, then that's one thing but at least don't do it over food/meal times. We have enough child obesity in this country and it's our responsibility as parents to stop/prevent it and spanking your child over food is not the way to do it if you are looking to raise your child to have a healthy attitude about his body, nutrition and eating.

Reija Eden

Director MakeupTalk.com

Huntington Beach, CA

reija-article.gif

Hey, Don't worry. These kinds of punishments were few and far between. But if anyone thinks a kid is going to forget them... good luck!

OMG... I remember being forced to eat oatmeal by my grandmother until I gagged. I will NOT eat oatmeal EVER! Hahah. So true. She finally said one day, "Fine, if you will not eat oatmeal then you will not eat anything!" I was so grateful! I still don't eat anything for breakfast. It just doesn't appeal to me. Although I don't think it really stems for granny's oatmeal threats. Hahah. GOd that stuff is sick! Note to self: if you ever have kids, do not let granny get a hold of them! My grandfather is the one who punched me square in the nose. I thought it was broken. Note to self: never talk during the news cause it REALLY hurts like the )U*#)@#)_-9!))$*!!

Otherwise, growing up was fairly ok.

I feel about oatmeal the way that Halo feels about tomatoes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Irishgirl Cali,
My heart goes out to you with what you must have gone through as a child..Any form of abuse is horrible and look what you have done thus far..A true testament to overcoming the odds! wink-wink..

As far as Reija's article goes; I think it's ridiculous to spank a child for not eating..For cripe's sake! I can still hear my mother babbling, "Clean your plate up!".."Come on and clean it up."..Ummm..e-r-r-r...Well, Mother I cleaned my plate up! Now can you tell me why it is that I have thunder buns? Ummm..Well..I didn't think you could! *spits raspberries* I think spanking a child for not eating is just setting that kid up for an eating disorder in my opinion. Trying to get into a power struggle with a child over eating isn't a good idea. If your kid just refuses to eat anything when you fix it; then a simple consequence of NO TREATS, NO SNACKS until the next meal ought to do it. But spanking? Unless he conked me on the head with a salad plate; I think I might pass on the wire hanger beatings until then..LOL!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Mother at Large!! (sorry off the beauty topic)

Reija Eden

Director MakeupTalk.com

Huntington Beach, CA

reija-article.gif

Bravo Reija..Excellent response!

Latest posts

Back