Mothers & our love for make-up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how many of the self proclaimed makeup addicts here were raised by women who loved makeup. Any stories about childhood experiences, memories about makeup?

My mom wore Clinique when I was small and I remember just being absolutely fascinated by those sea green compacts with cream blush. When I was probably 3 years old, I began to call her makeup "neelespa". Don't ask where this word came from, I don't think there's any logic to it, haha! I never secretly went through her makeup, but sometimes she gave me her old makeup. There was one amusing instance of me taking a tube of bright red lipstick and painting "war paint" patterns on my little brothers face. Took forever to get that stuff off!

Interestingly enough, I wasn't allowed to wear makeup out of the house until I was about 16. So I think I got interested partially because it was something "forbidden" during my junior high years.
smile.gif

Oh... I've since converted my mom from Clinique to MAC (she's got a great lipglass stash). Every once in a while she'll ask if I've bought any fun new neelespa.
wink.gif

My mother is quite the opposite Joy! She wears foundations, mascara etc.. but until i started collecting make up she used to wear the SAME e/s, lipstick for the past 20 years!! I've converted her now though.Anytime she's going out for dinners, parties i do her make up & she loves it. She even went to MAC last week & bought her very first MAC product (Beige-ing Shadestick)! And when she heard the Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer was on StrawberryNet for 9euro she asked me to go online & buy one for her too!! She told me on Sunday that she wants me to start buying products online for her now & she's like to build up her brush collection. I think i'm getting her addicted to make up!! It won't be long now til she can use the internet & will be surfing MuT!!!

I remember from a very early age lots of MU experiences with my moms stash....She was raised Pentecostal so they were not allowed to wear makeup, when we moved to the middle east to live with my dad when i was about 8, she started wearing it... i remember the smell of her Noxema when she washed her face..you could smell it all through the house
icon_wink.gif
and she always wore purple or brown eyeshadow with red or berry lipstick,ALWAYS.....the first time i tried her lipstick i couldnt wash it off and i didnt want her to know id touched it, i was freaking out!!, my dad came in and just started laughing so hard at me because i was crying really hard and terrified she'd know, so he washed my face for me and that was that, she never found out...lol....i think its still a secret till now....
icon_wink.gif
she still wears her makeup now, but all different stuff, and lots of it, and recently i taught her how to put on kohl properly and make her top lip bigger by going a little out of the lines with a lip pencil...lol...shes very grateful for that!!! and how to layer 3 colors on the eyes, shes says everyone compliments her.....but i will never forget her Noxema smell as long as i live, its engraved in me as my mommas smell, no one elses.....
icon_lol.gif

My interest doesn't come from my Mum at all. Not to say that she doesn't like MU, it's just when she was my age the quality and choice wasn't as good as it is now. She also says the SAs were much snootier.

Excellent POLL! For me, Reija has taught be to BEHAVE when ordering $300 haul from MAC....BEFORE MUT, I used to whine like a baby

Originally Posted by Joyeuux

I'm curious to see how many of the self proclaimed makeup addicts here were raised by women who loved makeup. Any stories about childhood experiences, memories about makeup?
My mom wore Clinique when I was small and I remember just being absolutely fascinated by those sea green compacts with cream blush. When I was probably 3 years old, I began to call her makeup "neelespa". Don't ask where this word came from, I don't think there's any logic to it, haha! I never secretly went through her makeup, but sometimes she gave me her old makeup. There was one amusing instance of me taking a tube of bright red lipstick and painting "war paint" patterns on my little brothers face. Took forever to get that stuff off!

Interestingly enough, I wasn't allowed to wear makeup out of the house until I was about 16. So I think I got interested partially because it was something "forbidden" during my junior high years.
smile.gif

Oh... I've since converted my mom from Clinique to MAC (she's got a great lipglass stash). Every once in a while she'll ask if I've bought any fun new neelespa.
wink.gif

Oh, no. I have to credit my horribly awkward adolescence with becoming a makeup and skincare fanatic! When I was 10-12 my skin became oily and my pores became really clogged in my t-zone. I remember getting Noxema, Bonne Bell 10-0-6 lotion, Sea Breeze, etc. to remove all the blackheads that were forming. GROSS!! The makeup came later on when I moved to a new city that had lots of beautiful tan, blond girls. Remember the scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where Toula is a girl and is teased by her blond classmates? Moose caca?? Yeah, I was the odd-ball Croat with thick, unruly hair and thicker glasses. Once I got contacts I couldn't wait to tweeze and play with mascara and gloss.

Up until about a year ago, I wore the exact same makeup my mom did (but in different colors, of course) -- foundation, concealor, powder, eyeliner, mascara. Same thing every day, I even wore the same eyeliner every day (a charcoal color, because I thought black was too much -- and my mom wears brown eyeliner). We bought all of our makeup from Wal-Mart. It honestly never occurred to me to try something else; I figured the sole purpose of makeup was to hide acne and under-eye circles, and make my blond lashes look a little darker!

Once I got engaged I started experimenting with eye shadow and lipsticks because I wanted to save money and do my own makeup for the wedding. I realized how much better eye shadow looks than just plain eyeliner, and so I joined this board to learn more things about makeup! I still don't own very much makeup, and half of what I've bought lately ended up not looking good with my skintone (hey I'm still learning). Plus I don't want to spend much money on makeup because I am a poor college student and my husband is still in a low-paying "starter" job, so this board is a great way to thoroughly research a product before I decide to buy it!

By the way, KittySkyfish, I was also so excited to get contacts, I had big ugly glasses up through my junior year of high school (my goal was to get contacts before the junior prom
wink.gif
). However a few years ago I had to go back to glasses due to an eye condition, and it made me so sad because I loved my contacts! At least I have better glasses frames now, but I would still love to be glasses-free...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek By the way, KittySkyfish, I was also so excited to get contacts, I had big ugly glasses up through my junior year of high school (my goal was to get contacts before the junior prom
wink.gif
). However a few years ago I had to go back to glasses due to an eye condition, and it made me so sad because I loved my contacts! At least I have better glasses frames now, but I would still love to be glasses-free...
frown.gif
Man, I wish I had gotten contacts before prom. I had these round John Lennon/Harry Potter style glasses and they just didn't work with my dress. So I went to prom with fuzzy vision. Had to cling to my friends and ask "Uhh, who's that approaching us now?" Haha, so sad! I love having contacts -- definitely encouraged me to play with eye make-up more.

My mom had a huge influence on my makeup obsession. My mom always used the expensive store brands and bought my first YSL foundation and Givenchy eye shadow quad when I was about 15-yrs-old. I remember trying her makeup on when I was a little girl. I can remember always beeing so interested in her makeup bag since I was a very little girl. Now my mom uses drugstore brands mostly. Lumene from Finland is her favorite.

My mom was always into makeup (& still is... wears a full face everyday) so I definitely got my love for it from her... and I just kind of "Expanded" on it!!! A LOT!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

My mother barely wore makeup when I was a child, which sparked my love for it. In fact, I was forbidden to wear any until I was in high school (unless I had a hula performance), which is probably why I'm such an addict.
tongue.gif

You have the best mom in the world!!! (Okay, next to my mom...lol!) Having a mom who can give you honest beauty advice makes you one lucky woman.
icon_smile.gif
I wish my mom was as interested in beauty products as yours. When I was young, my mom's collection was kept in an old shoe box on a bathroom closet shelf...and some of the stuff was a wee bit ratty. I do remember as a kid pouring a quarter bottle of her favorite perfume in my bath water one time! She was NOT happy, to say the least.
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by LotusGlamGirl My mom is a girly-girl and definitely wears a full face of make-up - she never leaves the house without looking her best! lol. But I remember when I was very little, us going to Neimen Marcus and she buying lots of make-up at different counters. She wears the high end brand like Laura Mercier, MAC, Bobbi Brown, and Chanel. I don't ever remember her buying drugstore stuff ...
icon_rolleyes.gif
lol. When a make-up artist would come to do make-overs, I would go with her and watch. It was a lot of fun...she would ask me, "Is it nice?" or "What do you think?", and I would just nod and smile
icon_smile.gif
...Even when I was a few years old, she would put her lipstick on me (and my sister too) with a lip brush. I remember my mom wearing very bright pink or orange lipsticks
icon_eek.gif
lol.
But when I started wearing make-up, which was like in 6th grade I think (I'm in 11th now), she would teach what product is for what. I used to buy drugstore brands and just have a small collection of make-up. But then my mom started giving me her stuff or buying from Sephora, and my collection now is huge!! lol. Now I read a lot of make-up books and practice almost everyday, and teach her some things
icon_cheesygrin.gif
. Whenever I showed her my looks, she would be honest and tell me if it was good. And whenever it wasn't, it would motivate me more to do it better. She would give great couragement and because of that, I decided to become a professional make-up artist
icon_biggrin.gif

Aahh...you gotta love our mommies!!
icon_wink.gif
lol

My Mum taught me about the importance of make-up and cleansing and moisturising (foundation protects the skin from the weather and pollution, plus the importance of just looking good, always taking off your make-up thoroughly at night, and always moisturising) and I still wear similar shades to the ones she does when I do natural/sensible looks but I'm way more adventurous with my make-up, change it all the time, and I like to emphasise my eyes more. Now I influence her more! She has Clinique, Chanel and Dior lipsticks and a MAC and Stila eye shadow because of me and these are her favourite make-up items. She's completed converted to expensive lipstick (her fav is Dior Violet Tactic/Mystic Mauve - has both names on the box so I can't work out which one it is!) and MAC Satin Taupe is her favourite eye shadow. It's one of mine, too!

My mom didn't influence me at all. Although I can remember her putting on e/l & mascara.

My friend was allowed to wear m/u but I wasn't. I was in the 9th grade before I got my first l/s. A pink color from CoverGirl. Back then thats where my m/u came from. Between my friend, my allergies (to hide the redness), and wanting to look nice, thats why I wear m/u.
wink.gif

If I ever have a little girl (and I hope I do), she'll def know all about MAC, Lancome, Clinique, etc.
biggrin.gif

I've loved reading everyone's posts in this thread! It's really interesting to look back and try to remember the genesis of a certain interest/love/obsession.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Remember the scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where Toula is a girl and is teased by her blond classmates? Moose caca?? Yeah, I was the odd-ball Croat with thick, unruly hair and thicker glasses. Once I got contacts I couldn't wait to tweeze and play with mascara and gloss. Oh my god Kitty, when I saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding with my family, they all turned and stared at me when little Toula came on screen. That's exactly what I looked like when I was a little girl. I love that someone else related to that scene too!!

my mom actually was pretty into my new little MAC trips... when I came back from the last one, she's like 'Oh lets play!" LOL So we did little 'eye makeovers" on each other w/ my new stuff... and damn! she does it better than me!
icon_eek.gif
But no matter how good I tell her some colors look - she won't do light frosted colors b/c she thinks it makes her look older.
icon_rolleyes.gif
LOL Now I'm off to Michael's today to pick her up one of the little e/l brushes I got... LOL
icon_cool.gif

I've always worn makeup, but never really experimented too much. I might have deviated with different colored eyeliner, mascaras, and a handful of shadow colors. My true interest in makeup as an art from and artful self-expression was sparked while searching for a product review right here at MuT! I joined in June and in the past few months, I've become a fanatic. I often find my mom, digging through my makeup, so I've been more of an inspiration to her on the matter.

My mum was never into makeup at all!! She's always had lipsticks and lipglosses but always the same pink shade. It's been the other way round for us - I've tought her about makeup. My dad isn't keen on makeup, whenever I wore it at home he'd always tell me I had too much on. So I think that's the reason she never wore it.

Recently I've got her to branch out to other lipstick colours and she bought eye shadows in colours other than beige. She's still scared of colour as she thinks someone her age can't wear anything other than brown eye shadows but I'm slowly teaching her that as long as it's applied carefully she can wear what ever colours she wants.

She steals my green MAC glitterliner though
icon_rolleyes.gif

i def didnt get it from my moms! i dont know where i got it from... til this day im teaching her how to put makeup on :icon_love

While my mother always wore some kind of makeup, it was never anything expensive. Even to this day she sticks with drug store brands. Her look is the same every day and it's very very simple.

I do remember trying her green eyeshadow when I was young and I put it on HEAVY all over my lids and browbone. She looked at me and just laughed. I looked like a clown.

She did teach me that less is more though and that has stuck with me througout the years!

Latest posts

Back