MU Tips for African/Women considered dark skinned (as in wesley snipes dark)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Make up tips for African women (or black women who are considere very dark skinned like myself) SINCE I HAVE YET TO SEE SUCH AN EXTENSIVE THREAD FOR VERY DARK WOMEN(NOT LIKE BEYONCE, JENNIFER HUDSON ETC. I THINK IT SHOULD BE STICKIED SO MORE PPLE SEE IT)

Face:

After washing your face and using non-comedogenic moisturizer, you're ready to start.

face.jpg

Remember:

Primer is your best friend. Smashbox primer or Lorac primer are two good brands. (Available at Sephora)

Dot your face with it. Don't overdo it.

The best way to think of it is like this(Yeah I made the drawing in paint so what)

primer.jpg

Forehead, Eyes, Cheeks, Chin , Nose, Temple, and the space between your nose and upper lip.

The gray dots indicate where the primer should be applied(Notice how the gray dots are sorta large in diameter but very thin looking: use a thin layer)

• Rub it in a circular motion
  • Wait 30 seconds for it to set in.
Now you're ready for foundation! (See illustration)
foundation.jpg

A lot of dark skinned people have underlying tones (lighter and darker in some parts) BLEND PROPERLY! 9/10 YOU WILL NOT FIND YOUR PERFECT SHADE! PLUS ITS RARE YOUR SKIN IS COMPLETELY EVEN ALL OVER ANYWAY

A good tip is:

• use a shade 3 shades lighter than you're normal complexion and dot underneath the eyelids (above too) and the space between your nose and upper lip
  • Use a shade 1 shade lighter than your normal complexion and dot the forehead and temples close to the hairline, jawbone, and nose bridge
  • Use a shade closest to your complexion in the middle of your forehead, on your cheeks, chin, and nose
  • Use a makeup sponge to blend in a circular motion
  • Apply powder close to your shade with a powder brush.
  • Sweep down nose, cheeks, mid-forehead and chin (DON'T OVER DO IT)
Cheeks:

Darker skinned women tend to have cool complexions so stick to colors that are cool like plum, dark red, deep rich colors

Metallics work great on women with this complexion (But don't over-do it or risk looking greasy...which is bad because there are alotta dark-skinned jokes out there)

blush.jpg

• Dot blush along the shape of your cheekbone
  • Blend it with the brush following your cheekbone as a guide (ie: if your cheeks jut outward in a slanted way blend it along that same slant)
Use a brush! Seriously...in order to apply the make-up properly its wise to invest in a good brush kit.Eyes:

Eyes vary from person to person...there's no limit to what can be done but remember:

less is more(too much and you'll look greasy )

STICK TO COOL COLORS!

HOT COLORS ARE LIKE FOOD YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK BURNT! (not funny but seriously that's the look you'll get from people)

Blending is your friend. Invest in good smudging brushes made for the eyes

Make sure to clean up any mess-ups like runny mascara, eyeliner that extended a lil bit too far etc.

My eyes are quite small so what I do is:

• Sweep highlighter (a good idea is a metallic shimmery one that is light and glides on easily on the eyelid (I don't do it all the way up to my brows...doesn't look as hot)
  • think cool colors: ie: ivory, pinkish pearl
  • use a slightly darker color on the edge
  • Use a color not as dark as the one you just used but darker than your highlighter and dot it along the shape of your eyelid
  • Smudge the color from top to bottom going from the inner eye out
  • Use eyeliner on the outer part of the eye starting from the middle
  • Apply mascara
  • Curl Lashes
Lips:I'm being repetitive but STICK TO COOL COLORS! As a dark skinned female I can't stress this enough

• Use a lipliner that complements the gloss/lipstick you'll use
  • Lightly (I mean lightly) outline the lips
  • Fill in with a lip brush
  • Blot (Pretend like your smooching someone wit your finger in your mouth...the excess should go away)
Tip: to avoid the infamous ashy lips look (A really bad look especially if you're dark because the amount of ashy blk pple jokes are endless)Use a tiny (I neab tiny) amount of gloss and pat on your bottom lip.

Rub your lips together.

Voila! You'll look fabulous...vary the tips and techniques for eye MU application depending on your eyeshape but foundation application is a general rule for women that dark.

Good drugstore brands
frown.gif
The MU in my pics you here are drugstore just to show that the pharmacy is not just for light skinned pple you just have to learn how to blend since 9/10 you WILL NOT FIND THE PERFECT SHADE!

FOUNDATION (In order of effectiveness)

• MAYBELLINE
  • COVERGIRL
  • BLACK RADIANCE
  • REVLON
POWDER
  • BLACK RADIANCE (IT IS THE BEST HANDS DOWN)
EYE MU
  • NYX
  • RIMMEL
  • MAX FACTOR
  • LOREAL H.I.P.
  • REVLON
  • E.L.F.
MASCARA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COMPLEXION REALLY BUT GOOD BRANDS ARE
  • ALMAY
  • LOREAL
  • MAX FACTOR
BLUSH
  • BLACK RADIANCE
  • MILANI
  • NYX
EYE/LIP PENCILS
  • RIMMEL
  • NYX
  • PRESTIGE
LIPS
  • LOREAL
  • MAYBELLINE
  • E.L.F.
  • NYX
NOW FOR GOOD DEPT. STORE BRANDS (FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IN ORDER FROM BEST TO WORST)
FOUNDATION

• LANCOME (GENERALLY ALL THEIR STUFF IS GOOD)

*CAN'T POST ANY OTHERS...THEY DON'T COMPARE LOLESTEE LAUDER INDIVIDUALIST IS THE BEST....LANCOME CAN TAKE A BACK SEAT FOR NOW!

POWDER

• MAC
  • ESTEE LAUDER
EYE MU
  • MAC
  • LANCOME
LIPS
  • MAC
  • LANCOME
  • ESTEE LAUDER
  • CHANEL
BLUSH
  • MAC
  • ESTEE LAUDER
  • LANCOME
EYE PENCILS/LIP PENCILS
  • CLINIQUE (THE ONE THAT CLICKS IS GOOD LOL)
  • YSL
  • MAC
  • ESTEE LAUDER
MASCARA
  • DIORSHOW
  • DIORSHOW
  • DIORSHOW
IT'S THE BEST LOL

JUST IN CASE YOU WONDERED HOW I LOOK...

Picture010.jpg

EDIT***most recent

blaeh.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed post!

The drawings are so cute! lol

Originally Posted by aplsmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed post!
The drawings are so cute! lol

i try...that's what happens when you have time on your hands and are waiting for your laundry to finish

Enya, you look great! Your skin is like butter! That was cool what you've done with the drawings, it was very easy to follow. Beautifully done. Now do you think this same technique will work for us gals that are on the yellower end of the black spectrum?

With your skin as flawless as it is, I will recommend you try some Mineral Makeup by Milan Minerals. Candace is the only one out there that has proven mastery for formulating good MMU for WoC. I'm telling, you will just see your skin come alive! (Hehe, sorry for hijacking your thread a little. I am just so into MMU right now, I couldn't resist!)

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Enya, you look great! Your skin is like butter! That was cool what you've done with the drawings, it was very easy to follow. Beautifully done. Now do you think this same technique will work for us gals that are on the yellower end of the black spectrum?
With your skin as flawless as it is, I will recommend you try some Mineral Makeup by Milan Minerals. Candace is the only one out there that has proven mastery for formulating good MMU for WoC. I'm telling, you will just see your skin come alive! (Hehe, sorry for hijacking your thread a little. I am just so into MMU right now, I couldn't resist!)

i've thought about mineral mmu but i'm quite clueless on that lol maybe you can give me some pointersthe one thing that makes me hesitatnant to try it is that i'm scared it'll make my pores look bigger lol a lot of my friends complain about that so what recommndations do you have?

lol my skin looks like that because of good make-up application lol...and because i have this simple skin care routine i live by

• cleanse
  • exfoliate
  • tone
  • moisturize
....literally that's it
*edit...for lighter skinned females i'm not sure lol i learned all of this from personal experience...i'm an artist so i know how to blend colors and have an idea what would look good one what

i think the general thing to do is follow the same guidelines for foundation except for the part about going three shades lighter lol...one shade lighter is just fine...and if you wish to make certain features smaller (like a big nose....)go one shade darker i only said that because darker skinned women tend to have more unven tones and when the light hits their face it emphasizes that unevenness in certain areas (like under the eyes)

Thanks for the rundown Enya!

With MMU, it is 100% down to application once you find the right color. You have to get used to using much less of the material, and that's the mistake a lot of people can make the first time (larger looker pores result). Thais did a tutorial on how to apply it, and she did a fantastic job! I would go take a look at it at your own convenience.

Very informative, thanks for sharing. You look great!

DO you mind telling me what gloss you are wearing in the last pic? it is gorgeous

Originally Posted by foxybronx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Very informative, thanks for sharing. You look great!
DO you mind telling me what gloss you are wearing in the last pic? it is gorgeous

don't remember it's e.l.f. and the colors plum something.....i forget the name since that tube has finished awhile ago

Originally Posted by Ohappydayes /img/forum/go_quote.gif WOW! THe detail in this is AWESOME! I wish someone would make one like this for a light yellow girl like myself.
laughing.gif
lol tyum...for light skinned people i'm not sure...read what i typed to nox

thank goodness, finally some help for us dark skinned girls. For light skinned girls, most things would be the same except that you won't need as much of a highlighter since your skin is already lighter. Also depending on your undertones, some colors won't look good on you, but others will look great like a cool pink. I couldn't do that but a light skinned person could.

Hope you start using mmu soon, so u can make a tutorial using it. Milan minerals is the best for WoC. I only buy foundation from her!

Great post! Like my six year old would say (who is the sweetest shade of chocolate) "I'm not black, I'm brown!"

Thanks!

i may do a tutorial for lighter...but im by no means light,can sumone describe my skintone...i c a burnt caramel/deep true honey

Originally Posted by Mizbrightfuture /img/forum/go_quote.gif i may do a tutorial for lighter...but im by no means light,can sumone describe my skintone...i c a burnt caramel/deep true honey I would say you have a deep Bronze color. Or maybe a medium burgundy tone. Perhaps even a Chocolatey Carmel color!

Originally Posted by liznewark /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hope you start using mmu soon, so u can make a tutorial using it. Milan minerals is the best for WoC. I only buy foundation from her!
applaus.gif
I agree! Candace is such a lovely MMU saleslady!

Latest posts

Back