My First Birchbox - June 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OiiO

✿ Anastasia ✿
Reaction score
I just copy/pasted this from my blog post since we aren't really allowed to advertise here, and I guess I don't have enough forum posts to have a signature yet. 

This is not one of the most expensive boxes, but simply having Georgie Winks in it made it worth for me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

1. Georgie Beauty Winks by Georgie (unique to box #12)

"The secret to these eco-fabulous lashes lies in the adhesive: it’s made with USDA-certified organic blue chamomile to soothe skin while it helps lashes stay put till you take ‘em off. Plus, the PETA-certified glue is free of nasty stuff like parabens, formaldehyde, phthalates and synthetic fragrance, which can irritate eyes."

Not going to lie, I wanted to try these exact lashes for a very long time without having to buy them first. I lost my opportunity to win them when Bloom.com had a Georgie Facebook party, so I was very surprised and happy to receive them in my first Birchbox! I couldn't wait to try them on, so I immediately hurried to grab my makeup bag and create a look. I'm not that into the dramatic eyes trend, but after trying these falsies and seeing how glamorous I look with them on, I think this will be my new going out staple. Another thing I loved was the use of natural ingredients in the lash adhesive. I don't think I've seen that one around yet, apparently Georgie uses certified organic chamomille oil to soothe the lashes, and it's paraben-, formaldehyde-, and phtalate-free which is always a great thing in every cosmetic product.

And here is how Birchbox recommends using these falsies:

"After doing your other makeup (including eyeliner and mascara), lift lashes out of the palette and trim them to fit your eyes. Draw a thin line of lash glue onto the band, paying special attention to ends. Bend the lashes into a horseshoe shape for about a minute while the glue becomes tacky. Press the center of the lash strip onto your natural lash line and gently press down on each side (we like to do this part with the back end of an eyeliner brush). Finally, gently use fingers to pinch your lashes and falsies together." 

Check out the picture to see my result, I think it looks glamorous and natural at the same time. Love it!

Full-size: $28 at Birchbox

Sample received: $15 at Nordstrom

2. Stainiac by theBalm Cosmetics

"The tinted gel leaves a lasting stain on lips and cheeks. Since it’s water-based, it has a longer setting time than most quick-dry stains, which means it won’t leave any unsightly streaks behind as long as you take care to blend well. Use a single coat for a subtle look or layer it on for a more visible (yet still discreet) hue."

This is the core item this month, meaning that it is present in every single box variation. I have heard a lot about lip and cheek stains before but never tried to use one, so this is a completely new product for me. My first impression was something like "OMG how do I take it off!!", and then it hit me that this is the whole point of stains. They are smudge-proof because there's nothing to smudge really, the color just absorbs into your skin and basically becomes one with it.

Here is how Birchbox recommends using this lip stain:

"The tinted gel leaves a lasting stain on lips and cheeks. Since it’s water-based, it has a longer setting time than most quick-dry stains, which means it won’t leave any unsightly streaks behind as long as you take care to blend well. Use a single coat for a subtle look or layer it on for a more visible (yet still discreet) hue."

Check out the picture to see my result. The color seemed too bright at first, but the more I look at it the more it's growing on me. It looks great on my cheeks, too!

Full-size: $17 at Birchbox

Sample received: $2.27 calculated value

3. Hair Rules Lift Volumizing Shampoo (unique to box #12)

"Hair Rules, one of New York City’s top salons, prides themselves on working with all hair types, from baby-thin locks to kinky curls. They developed this weightless shampoo to help everyone get bouncy, healthy hair that is soft to the touch. Made with light moisturizers, the formula volumizes all kinds of hair while battling frizz and mending split ends. We’re going to go ahead and call it a hometown hero."

Well, I haven't actually used this sample yet, but I opened it to check it out and it smelled like some pretty strong perfume. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing, my skin isn't very sensitive so I don't care all that much about fragrances in cosmetic products. This shampoo is meant to give body to fine or flat hair and protect the color since it doesn't contain any sulfates that wash out the color. I was also surprised to find out that it also contains hyaluronic acid to moisturize the hair and scalp, how cool is that? It's basically an actual moisturizer for the hair! So I'm very excited to try it out next time I wash my hair.

Full-size: $15 at Birchbox

Sample received: $3.75 calculated value

4. LA FRESH Eco-Beauty Oil-Free Face Cleanser

"Each wipe is soaked with a solution rich in potent plant extracts, including jojoba, papaya, pineapple, and cucumber. Aloe vera soothes skin, while vitamin E is high in protective antioxidants. Together, these ingredients work to leave skin clean, soft, and refreshed."

I tried one of these wipes today and they are actually quite impressive! The cloth was very gentle and soft, and had just the right amount of solution. I use facial wipes every day to take off my makeup, and I'm constantly comparing new brands to my current favorite - drugstore Ponds Evening Soothe wipes. Well, I think I have a new favorite now :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Full-size: $9.99 at Birchbox

Sample received: $0.70 calculated value

5. Tili Bags Small Collection

"Made of durable plastic, each quart-size zip and seal bag can hold a variety of belongings—from paper clips and sandwiches to makeup and toothpaste. Especially great for those on the go, they make life easier by keeping things organized."

This cute little ziploc bag was a lifestyle extra, and even though I don't plan on flying anywhere for at least another year or so it's something I will actually use in the future. Most other boxes contained men's cologne as their extras, so i'm glad I didn't get it. If I wanted men's samples I would subscribe my husband to Men's Birchbox.

Full-size: $8.49 at Birchbox

Sample received: $0.70 calculated value

Well, this concludes my review of this month's Birchbox. Overall I was very happy with the samples I received. It was not among the most expensive boxes this month, but I'm glad that I can use everything, and I got Georgie Winks I coveted so much :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My box value this month: $22.42

Cute! Love the reviews of the individual products.  The lashes and stain look lovely on you. 

I want those lashes too.. already in one of my carts for my next order
wink.gif

Thank you lovelies!

I'm new to beauty blogging, thank you so much for the encouragement.  Mwah!  
heart.gif

Latest posts

Back