My glam is just bad and a waste of money

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to point out that while you may have a mall, Sephora or Macy's in your area not everyone does. Where I grew up the nearest mall was 70-ish miles away and we didn't have a store where we could get samples of anything. Right now in my hometown the biggest store they have is Walmart! The old JCPenney shut down over a decade ago, there is no Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora or ULTA there. So for women in my hometown beauty box subscriptions, be it MyGlam, Birchbox, Sample Society, Julep, is the ONLY way to get ANY type of sample be it skin care, hair care, nail care or makeup.
Yep, while I dislike myGlam, I do like Birchbox and several of the other services, and it's largely because I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest mall and 2 hours to the nearest Sephora, so going there and trying new things all the time just doesn't happen. Here, my options are Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS, none of which are sample friendly. These services, therefore, have a huge value to me personally.

It's the same reason I don't mind getting perfume samples when I see others complaining. It's the only way I have to smell most of these scents without a long drive, which I'll only make when I need to buy several things.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to point out that while you may have a mall, Sephora or Macy's in your area not everyone does. Where I grew up the nearest mall was 70-ish miles away and we didn't have a store where we could get samples of anything. Right now in my hometown the biggest store they have is Walmart! The old JCPenney shut down over a decade ago, there is no Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora or ULTA there. So for women in my hometown beauty box subscriptions, be it MyGlam, Birchbox, Sample Society, Julep, is the ONLY way to get ANY type of sample be it skin care, hair care, nail care or makeup.
I see your point, but I still disagree. I live where the biggest store is Walmart. That doesn't mean I don't ever drive out to the cities with a Sephora, Nordstroms, whatever on occasion. And in this day and age, it is easy enough to order online with free shipping and get great samples. Maybe 10 years ago I would have agreed with you, but now it is so easy to get samples whenever you order that I think if I am paying for a sample selection it better be good. Hell, with one company I got a Caudilie eye serum with my order. It was half the full sized, which costs $70. Estee Lauder gives out great samples. MyGlam's samples are poor, no matter how you want to look at it.

I don't know, Sephora is the only place I order from that sends me samples, and then I wouldn't know if I liked things to MAKE that order in the first place without trying them first. Sure, I drive to cities with the stores from time to time...but every time I would like to try something new? Who can afford that?

It might be a budget thing. Some people have the budget to order and try high end cosmetics without having a means to try them first. I don't, though. So I'd rather spend that 10 bucks a month on Birchbox and satisfy my desire to try something new.

(I do agree that myGlam's samples are terrible, though...mall kiosk crap and freeman masks and ugly lipsticks just don't excite me.)

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, while I dislike myGlam, I do like Birchbox and several of the other services, and it's largely because I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest mall and 2 hours to the nearest Sephora, so going there and trying new things all the time just doesn't happen. Here, my options are Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS, none of which are sample friendly. These services, therefore, have a huge value to me personally.

It's the same reason I don't mind getting perfume samples when I see others complaining. It's the only way I have to smell most of these scents without a long drive, which I'll only make when I need to buy several things.
I can't believe I contemplated moving to Indiana to do a PhD. Grad school was bad enough, I can't imagine grad school without a sephora or ulta near by. 

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I live 30 minutes from a department store and 80 minutes from a Sephora. It would cost me more in gas than the cost of a sample service to drive and get these "free" samples. Most stores online you have to order to get free samples so that's no cost efficient either.
Exactly, and it's usually a fairly expensive order ($50 or more) and that can be a lot to buy a product you haven't tried or seen...it's fine for things I already know I like, but I'm a person who thrives on change.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This thread is making me thankful for where I live. I have a love/hate relationship with my proximity to these stores, but it's so true...I don't NEED my subs at all, I can go to Ulta in 5 minutes, lord and taylor or bloomingdales in 10, and be at sephora, nordstrom, macy's, neiman marcus, and pretty much any other store in 15. We have an entire Kiehl's store and they are so liberal with their samples.

Heck, I can be at flagship locations of soooo many stores in less than half an hour. I'm NEVER moving. 

Maybe I should start sending out samples to those in rural areas for the price of shipping lol. A good deed! 
I would so sign up for that!

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't believe I contemplated moving to Indiana to do a PhD. Grad school was bad enough, I can't imagine grad school without a sephora or ulta near by. 

LOL. As long as you lived near Indy or Bloomington you'd be fine. I just live in the middle of nowhere.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL. As long as you lived near Indy or Bloomington you'd be fine. I just live in the middle of nowhere.
LOL, when I did live in Bloomington all I did was go to the mall, and that was only for a summer. It would've been really tough on my wallet for 5 years. I blame my summer in Indiana for my credit card debt. All there was to do was drink and shop, lmao. 

Wow...this got WAYYYY off topic.

MyGlam turned out to be SUCH a disappointment for me. I cancelled after just one bag. There was nothing I liked and one of the face creams was put in the WRONG "recycled" packaging! Plus, I really don't support the girls who put it together.

Originally Posted by Jennifer Nall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow...this got WAYYYY off topic.

MyGlam turned out to be SUCH a disappointment for me. I cancelled after just one bag. There was nothing I liked and one of the face creams was put in the WRONG "recycled" packaging! Plus, I really don't support the girls who put it together.
It's feedback like this I have read over and over again that convinced me not to join. Besides, like you Jennifer, I don't like the you tubers behind this deal. 

You made a WISE decision! It's just a marketing ploy. Take that $10...over a year, $120...and go get something you REALLY want/can use!

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's feedback like this I have read over and over again that convinced me not to join. Besides, like you Jennifer, I don't like the you tubers behind this deal. 

I honestly don't blame those who quit. MyGlam has, unfortunately, turned out not to be among the best beauty box companies out there - granted the top three are Birchbox, Sample Society and Beauty Army and MyGlam is still better than the rest of the monthly companies but still. While it's "only" $10 (and not $30 like the rip off Posh Pod is) it's STILL $10... that can feed a family of four at least two meals.

I am agree with this post and adore your views which is providing beneficial information about makeup.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I honestly don't blame those who quit. MyGlam has, unfortunately, turned out not to be among the best beauty box companies out there - granted the top three are Birchbox, Sample Society and Beauty Army and MyGlam is still better than the rest of the monthly companies but still. While it's "only" $10 (and not $30 like the rip off Posh Pod is) it's STILL $10... that can feed a family of four at least two meals.
How can you feed a family of four twice on $10? I'm genuinely intrigued because in NYC you can't eat by yourself for less than $5.

Originally Posted by Turboweevel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How can you feed a family of four twice on $10? I'm genuinely intrigued because in NYC you can't eat by yourself for less than $5.
I don't know about twice, but 2 Little Caesar's Hot-N-Ready pizzas can feed my family of 5 (and those are $5 each).

Oh it's easy in my area.

Appetizer:

A couple of fresh tomatoes - 99 cents a pound

A loaf of French bread, 99 cents.

A bundle of basil - $1.50

Dinner:

A pound of chicken tenders - 99 cents per pound - buy two pounds so it's $1.98

Two bags of frozen vegetable mix - $1.15 each bag.

One lemon - 39 cents

Dessert:

A cake mix for dessert - $1.50 (with coupon it can even be free or near free)

Total: less than $9.

Pasta is also cheap and with coupons it can even be free. We live off chicken around here because I stock up when it drops down to 69 cents a pound. The only real expensive food is produce - more specifically fruit.

Back