My no-buy/ project X pan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been lurking around the no-buy forums for a while and I keep swearing I'll go on one myself, but I always end up putting it off.  I'm embarrassed to report that since I started thinking about going on a no-buy, my (already ridiculously huge) stash has probably doubled in size.  

It's time for me to stop thinking and start acting, so I'm starting my own thread to make it official. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  My goals are 1) to stop spending money on unnecessary beauty products, and 2) to PERMANENTLY reduce my stash.  Eventually, I want to get rid of all the junk and be left only with high-quality, regularly-used items that deserve their place in my makeup collection. 

So!  As of today, I am going on a no-buy until July 26, 2012~ the last day of the California bar exam, which I will be studying for and taking this summer. (I'm ending my no-buy on this date because I'm 100% sure I will need a pick-me-up after the exam. 
rolleyes.gif
) During my no-buy, I will attempt to burn through as many items in my stash as possible, and I'll keep track of what I've used up on this thread. I'm counting samples/mini sizes as well as full-size items, because I have way too many samples and they also need to go.

The rules for my no-buy:

1) No spending money on any makeup at all, period, the end.

2) Skin care items are allowed, but only if I've used it all up and absolutely must buy a replacement (for example, if I've completely run out of moisturizer). 

3) Purchases made with my pre-existing gift cards/reward points etc. are acceptable (since the money has already been spent). 

If I do this successfully, I will reward myself by splurging on one makeup "investment" item (I have been lemming after a Chantecaille eyeshadow quad for years, but could never bring myself to drop the cash on it).  At this time I'll also re-evaluate my stash and revise my rules accordingly.  So here I go~ wish me luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good luck! I just started a 4 month no-buy, so I'm with you. It looks like we have the same goals, and I also am a little embarrassed to say that every time I attempt to start a no buy, that's when I go out and buy the most. So, my collection is totally, totally massive and I need to work on using up stuff before things start going bad!

To be honest, I'm jealous of the people who have one tiny train case of makeup, and then only the skincare/bodycare that they're using at the moment. It must be nice to not have oodles of stuff everywhere!

Any way...I'd like to join you! It's time for me to get serious about clearing out my collection and not buying stuff. I've been writing about it a bit in my blog, so I'm kinda using that to keep track of my progress. 

And I like the idea about the one big makeup investment item if you do it successfully! I think it'll help you keep your eye on the prize. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's great.  I am guilty of the same thing:  I keep saying I will do it, then I think I will just buy a few more things before I do it.  "This will be my last splurge before I start. I really don't have THAT much makeup.  I really need this one other thing though and then I really can do a no buy."  Etc.  I really am going on one starting this month- I hope to keep it going all summer.  

One thing that has really made me stop and evaluate my "need" for an item is that my husband has put his foot down a bit as far as budget is concerned.  Every Sunday from now on, we are going to go over exactly how much each of us spent and on what so we can see just how much we waste.  (Hint: I waste way more than he does.)  You know that small vaguely guilty feeling you get when you buy more makeup when you know you shouldn't or don't need it?  That feeling is much worse for me when I actually have to confess my purchases, item by item, to someone else.  Other people do not exactly see my side of it when I claim that I "had to have" yet another red lipstick because it was "such a good sale."

Anyway, good luck to you guys!  Maybe this time everyone will actually stick to it and not let all of that fun stuff go to waste.

Just so you guys know, I just started a may 2012 no buy thread. We can all chat about why we're doing it, our successes we've had, tips for how to make it work, and get other girls to talk us out of spending! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And, for the love of Lemmy, (and as one of the most guilty parties of this one previously), hopefully this month we will actually support each other instead of constantly posting drool-worthy hauls :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Agreed. Or getting validation for all of the purchases we wanted to make. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And, for the love of Lemmy, (and as one of the most guilty parties of this one previously), hopefully this month we will actually support each other instead of constantly posting drool-worthy hauls :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks so much for all the support!  I'm glad we have each other to keep ourselves on track. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :)  I'm still in the process of gathering up the things I want to finish off first, and I've had to reorganize a lot of my makeup to do it~ it's actually pretty nice rediscovering all my old treasures.  So far I've found three lipsticks and a lip gloss that I'm thiiiiiis close to finishing up.  One of them is actually an Estee Lauder lipstick that was the first non-drugstore piece of makeup I ever bought, for my junior prom in high school (I don't even want to think about how long I've had this thing for, lol!), so I'm excited at the idea of almost being able to chuck them. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Four tubes actually take up a lot of space in a small purse!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bethesda1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Every Sunday from now on, we are going to go over exactly how much each of us spent and on what so we can see just how much we waste.  (Hint: I waste way more than he does.)  You know that small vaguely guilty feeling you get when you buy more makeup when you know you shouldn't or don't need it?  That feeling is much worse for me when I actually have to confess my purchases, item by item, to someone else.  Other people do not exactly see my side of it when I claim that I "had to have" yet another red lipstick because it was "such a good sale."

This is a really good idea! I don't have a husband to keep me accountable, but I do have a male friend who actually volunteered to go on a no-buy with me, so I guess we can help each other out. Apparently, bullets are the male version of makeup, and he's probably bought enough bullets to go shooting at the range for the next 10 years. 
icon_lol.gif

Latest posts

Back