Nail Polish and Men

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got a toe ring this weekend. Its kind of thin but still looks hot. I am looking forward to purchasing a spiral toe ring along with an ankle bracelet.

Dud you should shave your legs. In my opinion polish and hair don't go hand in hand. Feet and nail polish tend to look alot hotter with a nice pair of shaved legs.

You're welcome! You def don't need to hide those feet :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

He's not interested lol Its ok with me. He likes to help me pick my colors (he paints cars so hes really into color) and that's good enough for me. At least he takes an interest. He always gives me advise about what base color to use for my eyeshadow (when I use a colored base) as well. I'll settle for that LOL

Originally Posted by ToePolishSteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you, Hezzie! The funny thing is, before I discovered color in July, I was so embarrassed by my feet that I couldn't let anybody see them! I really was the guy wearing old sneakers into the lake at the beach.

Try this - buy a bottle of something "manly". Dark hunter green. OPI's "Roadhouse Blues" or "Blue My Mind". Show this bottle to your hubby and say "I would love to see this on you, it would mean a lot to me... and we can take it right off if it looks bad. But, it's up to you. Let me know when you're ready... until then, it's right here, and this bottle is the remover". It might take him a week or two - but I bet that by Valentines Day, he'll have thought about it enough to say "OK". Four days before Valentines, put it on YOUR toes, make sure he sees them. He just might surprise you for Valentines Day! (You might also notice the level in the bottle dropping - he'll probably try it on in private before letting you know...) Good luck!

Please keep in mind our terms of service when posting. Rule #1 is to be polite when posting. Also, constructive criticism is to be given only when asked for. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ts3232 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dud you should shave your legs. In my opinion polish and hair don't go hand in hand. Feet and nail polish tend to look alot hotter with a nice pair of shaved legs.

3 of my favorite "masculine" nail shades come from OPI (I'm female though)

1. Russian Navy (I wear this a LOT)

2. Give Me Moor!

3. Here Today... Aragon Tomorrow.

(I googled these images)

Hezzie, what you say about more couples sharing this interest is certainly true of my wife and I.  We get pedicures together and have even painted each other's toenails a few times.

This all began about four years ago when I complimented her on a really cool deep blue she was painting her toes with.  I hadn't seen a color like that before (mostly only reds and pinks) but thought this color was really different and fun.  She then offered to paint mine with it and so I accepted.  It looked pretty decent on my toenails too so I just kept wearing it, and after a few days I was hooked!  We experienced our first (well, my first anyway) pedicure together shortly thereafter and I wasn't intending to get color on mine but the cute Asian gal doing my pedicure asked me if I wanted polish so I asked her for a suggestion and she selected a deep gray shade.  It was a pretty exciting experience!!

Since then I have tried many shades but I tend to like darker more earthy colors like deeper greens, blues, grays and black.  My wife and I only share a few of them since she tends to prefer brighter colors.

It is refreshing to see that this is not just something that only my wife and I enjoy but it appears that there are many more couples like us.   That's pretty cool. 

Thank you for the great discussion!!

Jake

Hi Jake!! That's so fun!! Its always good for couples to have something special that they can do together, no matter what that might be :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks for sharing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Jake1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hezzie, what you say about more couples sharing this interest is certainly true of my wife and I.  We get pedicures together and have even painted each other's toenails a few times.

This all began about four years ago when I complimented her on a really cool deep blue she was painting her toes with.  I hadn't seen a color like that before (mostly only reds and pinks) but thought this color was really different and fun.  She then offered to paint mine with it and so I accepted.  It looked pretty decent on my toenails too so I just kept wearing it, and after a few days I was hooked!  We experienced our first (well, my first anyway) pedicure together shortly thereafter and I wasn't intending to get color on mine but the cute Asian gal doing my pedicure asked me if I wanted polish so I asked her for a suggestion and she selected a deep gray shade.  It was a pretty exciting experience!!

Since then I have tried many shades but I tend to like darker more earthy colors like deeper greens, blues, grays and black.  My wife and I only share a few of them since she tends to prefer brighter colors.

It is refreshing to see that this is not just something that only my wife and I enjoy but it appears that there are many more couples like us.   That's pretty cool. 

Thank you for the great discussion!!

Jake

Originally Posted by BreAnnNicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AH! I just read this entire thread to my DH! I have been trying REALLY hard to get him to wear nail polish out! He'll let me paint his ring finger with a masculine color sometimes but that's about as far as we get. I think nail polish on a guy is super hot! I wish more men felt as confident about their sexuality as you do...you are to be commended! 

@Katana I really want that blog link when you find it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm gonna make him read your article hehe
Wow, I was looking into trying this for myself as a guy, but wasnt sure how women would feel about it.  After reading this and some other suggestions on another post, I got the nerve up to make an appointment at a salon for a mani/pedi.  It was an incredible expeience and the women there were so enthuisatic that I was giving it a try.  I actually went with Misa's "Bourbon on the Rocks" after reading about it here and it looks awesome on me!

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/130575/misa-high-society-winter-collection-2012

I am a guy in my 50's I get weekly manicures, and always get a color.  The gal who does my nails had often told me that I have nicer nail than most of her female clients.  I have even ventured out into the brighter colors, last week, as an example, I wore OPI Red Lights Ahead Where?.  I can even do a pretty good job painting them on my own.  I know that this isn't the norm, but why not, to me its a form of self expression.  Yes!

I'm personally not a fan of polish on guys, but I also don't have a problem with it. It's just not something I find particularly attractive. But it's not like I'm really a fan of facial hair either. That sort of thing.

There is very good thing, you know so many boys wear nail polish and it really looks very hot. 
icon_smile.gif

Nothing is wrong ,we should do whatever we like that would not hurt others and make ourselves happy.

My hubby used to let me paint his toenails black.  He was doing MMA fighting at the time, and it was hilarious when the guy he was fighting would notice and get all "nervous" about fighting a guy with painted toenails. 
4.gif
 He can't do it anymore because of his job, but I think he misses it 
smilehappyyes.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Thefemaleclown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Guys + Nail Polish = hot hot hot. Whenever I think of guys in polish I always think of Spike from Buffy the Vampire slayer. I agree with the above statements, that dark colors would be best to start with. 

OMG I agree! Spike was hot in that and Angel. I only wish Angel wore polish as well. I just liked angels hair better lol!  Most of the guys I had a crush on in high school wore black nail polish. Put black polish on a pale guy with long hair and be still my heart! Bahahahah its just so funny my guy is tan with no hair and doesn't understand my love of polish.

I am a semi-retired guy who owns his own business and got into nail polish a half dozen years ago. My nails tend to split easily and looked really crappy, so while my wife was getting her hair done at the salon, I asked if they do manicures for men, and of course they did, so I had my first professional mani, and wow, what a difference! I was impressed. I didn't get any polish that first time, but I returned a month later and got clear polish. Then the nail tech suggested a pale pink color, and it was almost clear but gave a better result. I asked about pedicures and she said it's the ultimate in pampering, so I figured why not? Well, I was really hooked and have been getting professional manis and pedis ever since!

I've never been fond of dark "masculine" (whatever that means) colors. I'm into metallics. I love copper best as I have a reddish complexion. I have on Sally Hansen's Golden Rose right now - it's a light copper color and looks great on me. I've also done silver and gold, but gravitate back to copper. I've had Sally Hansen's Antique Bronze, and a similar color called "Spicy Chocolate" (forgot the brand). In non-metallics I love OPI's "Nomad's Dream," and Jessica's "Nutter Butter."

I have no problem going everywhere in public with my fingernails and toenails on display. I love wearing sandals and it's a lot more interesting to see painted toenails than plain ones, so today I have on a rich medium brown color (rather dark, I admit - probably the darkest color I've tried). It looks good, but I still prefer the metallics!

I have also indulged in nail art. The gal who used to work at the salon I go to was very artsy and would do pumpkins and witch's hats for Halloween, green shamrocks for St. Patrick's day, and starts and stripes, or fireworks for 4th of July. Fun stuff!

Somebody once said that "Confidence (in a guy) is sexy!" I guess it's true. I've had some compliments from women, and an occasional question from a guy, but I've never had any bad comments. I'm sure people noticed who were turned off by it, but hey, it's MY thing, not theirs. I do it for me. I don't do tattoos, so this is my body art! And my wife is okay with it. She would not be fond of my wearing bright reds and other "femme" colors, but the less obvious metallics are fine with her.

We only go around once in life, so make it count!

Steve

I'm a 64 year old straight male and enjoy taking care of my nails and wearing nail polish...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a straight, otherwise masculine male (6'4, 240 lbs), but I love growing, manicuring and polishing my nails. The longest I've grown then is almost one inch.

I tend to stick with darker polishes most of the time but I do like very light ones as well. I don't really like bright colors all that much. I also like my nails to have a shine to them so I haven't tried a matte polish yet.

Back