Natural help for your skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
.......Even if you don't have a specific skin problem, it's worth watching what you eat if you want to ensure it stays that way.

A clear complexion can be attributed to cleansed, well-nourished skin, but you can also boost its condition with food:

Strengtheners:

Carrots, basil, apples, garlic, olives, ginger, mushrooms, radishes, cinnamon, peppermint, coriender, and water chestnuts all help to strengthen the skin.

Nourishers:

Peppers and spicy foods increase the circulation of blood and, therefore, vital nutrients around the body.

Natural Cleansers:

The fiber in oatmeal helps flush toxins from the body more quickly, resulting in clear unblemished skin.

Kiwi fruit provides skin with a powerful cocktail of magnesium, vitamins C and E, and potassium!

Foods for yourthful skin:

In recent years, skin again has been attributed to an excess of free radicals (by-products of energy production) which cause cell damage. Certain substances in food labelled antioxidants, are thought to help combat the signs of aging by protecting cells from free radicals. Antioxidants include:

Vitamin-C found in citrus fruits, cabbage, broccoli, and tomatoes

Vitamin-E found in avocados, blackberries, vegetable oils, seeds, and nuts

Vitamin-A or beta carotene, found in eggs, butter, liver, cantaloupe melon, sweet potatoes, broccoli, green and yellow vegetables, apricots, and carrots

Phytochemicals - found in dark, leafy vegetables, potatoes, blackcurrants, citrus fruits, and garlic

Selenium - found in brazil nuts, kidneys, lentils, tuna and prawns

Increase your intake of antioxidant rich foods to fight the aging effects of free radicals.

Foods to nourish dry skin:

Dry, tired-looking skin can often be the result of dehydration, a fat free diet or nutrient deficiency. Ensure that your diet contains the following:

Omega-3 fatty acids, which help to reduce inflammation, are found in oil fish, and corn, oilive or safflower oils.

Zinc - found in meat, liver, eggs, poultry, prawns, milk, whole grains, and pumpkins seeds

Lycopene - rich cantaloupe and tomatoes help prevent and repair Sun damage

Hyaluronic acid - rich cabbage helps the skin to retain moisture.

Eczema causes flaky, itchy skin. Foods high in essential fatty acids, found in vegetable oils, seeds, and nut, can help to soothe skin bothered by eczema.

Foods to heal problem skin:

Unpleasant skin conditions can often be a sign that you need to include specific foods in your diet.

Pale and/or itchy skin may be the result of iron deficiency. Common iron-rich foods include red meats, egg yolk, green leafy vegetables, dried fruits such as apricots, prunes, and raisins, dried beans, potatoes, and wholegrain cereals.

Scaly skin may be caused by vitami9n B2 deficiency. Vitamin B2 is found in milk, cheese, fish, poultry, and green vegetables.

Acne-prone skin can be helped by eating dark, leafy green vegetables, such as spinach and kale; food rich in zink and vitamins E and C, are also essential for spot-free skin.

The amount of oil in your diet can determine the amount of oil in your skin, especially if you are prone to greasy skin. Replace full-fat milk, cheese and yogurt with low-fat varieties.

Foods that balance dry or oily skin can provide natural relief from problem skin conditions!

FYI, the only time I have problems is when I eat flour-based or grain-based foods, far more than eating fat (not fried stuff, but oils, including nuts, EFA supplements, avocadoes, etc or eggs). Perhaps it's the gluten/celiac/enzymes thing that my system can't deal with so it's gotta come out somehow.

Great information. I've noticed a change in my skin as I've been drinking more green tea and eating more blueberries.

Both have anti-oxidants in them, blueberries are perhaps my most favorite berry, also good for the eyes, & green tea is good externally as well...one other poster does what I do with a green teabag: use it as a built-in toner after washing...

Thought I'd add this...I've been using Teresa Tapp's celllulite relief treatment, it's actually a lymphatic brushing technique that works in conjunction w/diet, t-tapp workouts, generally good hygeine, etc. & about 3 months ago bought a small natural bristle brush to brush my face with, lightly to start, sort of like dry microbrasion. So that was the first 'new' thing I did. Then, after doing some reading, research, & investing in virgin coconut oil, I started using it on my skin to 'feed' it, bec. I haven't found 'the perfect sunscreen' (& y'all thought you need the 'perfect man') & it didn't seal my skin or feel greasy or cause breakout. Well, this is in addition to using Carole Maggio's Facercizes, ostensibly to prevent TMJ after a car wreck in 1992 & added a few FlexEffect type exercises recently (from the web site forum stories). So...let's say a lot of hydration, stimulation, nutrition & occasional use of bare minerals for color/protection...it's a combo that works for me. Using essential fatty acids internally has balanced hormones, kept skin moist from within & actually prevents a lot of the oxidation processed foods & environmental assaults create. There's only so much time & money one can invest before finding out what does or doesn't work. That's one of the main reasons this particular site is such a blessing, as it not only invites participation, but reviews of products from a wide swath of users & manufacturers, from the mall to maverick kitchen chemists. Happy December.

This is worth a print-out and hang-on-my-fridge!
smile.gif
Thanks!

Great info! That's so interesting how greasy foods actually make the skin more oily. Sounds like common sense but, i would have never thought of this. Thanks for posting!

I'm so glad you bumped this thread! My skin has been lackluster lately and I know it is linked to my water and vitamin intake, which was on a downward slope. I picked it up last week and I can already tell the difference...water, vitamin C and E always help me out. Plus I am a green tea drinker, never thought about using it on my face, I'll have to search to find that thread.

ok I am printing out this article and hanging it in front of my refrigerator.......Great post!

Wow, great article, thank you! Great as always.
sdrop.gif

I'll see if this weekend I can make some homemade masks n stuff. It'll be fun too!
sdrop.gif

Latest posts

Back