Natural (no chemicals) hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there a trend of women (ethnic or otherwise) wearing their hair naturally? I just started that journey myself and now it seems as if everywhere I turn, people are letting their relaxers or perms go, foregoing chemical coloring, etc. I mean since I made my decision, I've seen more natural models in mainstream advertising, more articles in the local newspaper, etc. Did I just not see all of this before because it didn't apply to me or is this a big boom that's hit all of a sudden??
icon_neutral.gif

I think people have been doing it for years, but now it's really starting to become a trend... I guess people are just starting to realize that the messy natural look is sometimes nicer that the 'every hair in its place' look. Not everyone is 'perfect' - and not everyone has the time to spend on getting that 'perfect' hair. Now that some have gone 'natural' - more people see that 'hey! this might work for me' & follow suit. I guess it's a matter of preference too, but if you like it - go for it
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I can't say that I've noticed ... but then again, most of the people I see are college students, and it seems like there's still a ton of girls with that dyed-blonde straight hair look around here!

However I've never dyed my hair and I haven't had a perm since the 80's ... although I admit that I do blowdry my hair straight, mainly because when I don't blowdry it, it's wavier on one side than the other and that drives me nuts! lol But I do like to see girls go back to their natural hair color, or at least a color similar to the natural color
wink.gif

Originally Posted by QurlySq Is it just me or is there a trend of women (ethnic or otherwise) wearing their hair naturally? I just started that journey myself and now it seems as if everywhere I turn, people are letting their relaxers or perms go, foregoing chemical coloring, etc. I mean since I made my decision, I've seen more natural models in mainstream advertising, more articles in the local newspaper, etc. Did I just not see all of this before because it didn't apply to me or is this a big boom that's hit all of a sudden??
icon_neutral.gif
I haven't really noticed a trend. I am considering it for myself tho. I haven't used a relaxer in about 6 months, probably more like 7 months. My hair is past shoulder length and I'd say the last 4 inches are straight but the roots are pretty curly. I have to work at straightening it with my flat and curling irons daily. I don't know why I've put off relaxing it. I definetly don't want to go back to curly. It doesn't fit who I am today...it reminds me of who I was during an unhappy time in my life. But at the same time, I color my hair regularly now and I'm afraid of the damage relaxer will cause. Why did you decide to go natural? If I may ask!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by glamslam I haven't really noticed a trend. I am considering it for myself tho. I haven't used a relaxer in about 6 months, probably more like 7 months. My hair is past shoulder length and I'd say the last 4 inches are straight but the roots are pretty curly. I have to work at straightening it with my flat and curling irons daily. I don't know why I've put off relaxing it. I definetly don't want to go back to curly. It doesn't fit who I am today...it reminds me of who I was during an unhappy time in my life. But at the same time, I color my hair regularly now and I'm afraid of the damage relaxer will cause. Why did you decide to go natural? If I may ask!
tongue.gif
Well, it was pretty much a matter of me putting off perming for about 2 months and wearing my hair in a wash and go style and not using heat... by the time i got to the end of that, i was thinking, why not go natural and forget relaxing altogether... i'm pretty much curious to see what my natural hair texture looks like... i figured i would transition for about a year and then get rid of the relaxed ends, but yesterday i went to the salon and decided to have my big chop... i'm really loving the outcome and so far, i'm dealing with this alien texture... and it's giving me all kinds of options with makeup... a win-win situation...
claps.gif
... as an aside, when i relaxed regularly, i also colored regularly and i didn't notice that it produced a lot of damage... i think it just may depend on the blend of products that you use...

Nice Qurly! It's always good to let hair 'breathe' and take a break from all the tourture we put it through... glad you're liking the new you!
claps.gif

Yeah that's cool! It feels great when you take a risk and you end up happy! I don't think a "big chop" is in my future anytime soon...I'll probably get my hair relaxed again. Let's hope it doesn't all break off. BTW post some pics of yourself when you can!
wink.gif

i have to agree with you. it is new for women of color. it started loosing my hair from years of chemical straighting and heat. i've been wearing my hair natural for about a year and i love it. it's finally nice to wear my hair the way it grows out of my head!

Originally Posted by QurlySq Is it just me or is there a trend of women (ethnic or otherwise) wearing their hair naturally? I just started that journey myself and now it seems as if everywhere I turn, people are letting their relaxers or perms go, foregoing chemical coloring, etc. I mean since I made my decision, I've seen more natural models in mainstream advertising, more articles in the local newspaper, etc. Did I just not see all of this before because it didn't apply to me or is this a big boom that's hit all of a sudden??
icon_neutral.gif

Originally Posted by glamslam Yeah that's cool! It feels great when you take a risk and you end up happy! I don't think a "big chop" is in my future anytime soon...I'll probably get my hair relaxed again. Let's hope it doesn't all break off. BTW post some pics of yourself when you can!
wink.gif
100% agreement... I'm trying to chronicle my ups and downs in a Fotki album... here's the link... http://public.fotki.com/Sqrpio/a_qurly_journey/

Looks good Qurly!
claps.gif
Nice fresh start
wink.gif
I know when it grows out a bit it may seem more awkward to style than when it was relaxed, but you can use the smoothing creams or leave in conditioners, which will give your hair a little more 'play'.
redface.gif

looking good girl. let it flow and be yourself! i started the same way and now i have the full fledged kinky curl going. feels nice to be liberated doesn't it?!
claps.gif

Originally Posted by QurlySq 100% agreement... I'm trying to chronicle my ups and downs in a Fotki album... here's the link... http://public.fotki.com/Sqrpio/a_qurly_journey/

Originally Posted by monniej looking good girl. let it flow and be yourself! i started the same way and now i have the full fledged kinky curl going. feels nice to be liberated doesn't it?!
claps.gif
Extremely liberating... I always feel extra sassy when I cut my hair though... now if I can only make it grow out fast so I can see what I end up with...
smile.gif

you might want to try a supplement to encourage your hair to grow. i like gnc hair, skin and nail formula. works wonders for me!

Originally Posted by monniej you might want to try a supplement to encourage your hair to grow. i like gnc hair, skin and nail formula. works wonders for me! Actually I thought about that, but when I went to the store it looked like the only pills they had were horse-sized and i have a hard enough time with bc so i knew the horsie pills were a no go...
icon_cry.gif
.. soooo, i've started using the Surge Plus 14 as a leave-in along with their Woojee Cream topped off with a little Hawaiian Silky... we'll see how the surge works (it's supposed to promote growth and strengthening)...

Great pics Qurly. I agree with you. I do think many women are going natural. The curly/wavy look is in right now. I have naturally curly/wavy hair and I stopped blowdrying and straightening it. I leave it curly now. I have learned how to work with it curly. I got some great tips on the naturallycurly site. You shoud check it out.

I think black women are learning how to manage and care for their natural hair. Most have perms for so long that it seems unnatural to wear your hair natural. Also, most tired of going to the beauty shop every 6-8 weeks waiting for hours on end to get a style. I think women are learning that it is easier to manage your natural hair all it takes is a little love and care. I've been transitioning since Nov. 2004 got tired of the chemicals. Hair was breaking, shedding and looked week and lifeless. I love my natural state it is healtheir, thicker (really thick) and bouncy. Plus, it's easy to take care.

Yeah, I can see that... I just didn't have the patience to truly transition so I chopped.. It'd definitely easier, but until it grows out more, Im missing the variety that I used to love so much...
icon_redface.gif
Originally Posted by bluebee I think black women are learning how to manage and care for their natural hair. Most have perms for so long that it seems unnatural to wear your hair natural. Also, most tired of going to the beauty shop every 6-8 weeks waiting for hours on end to get a style. I think women are learning that it is easier to manage your natural hair all it takes is a little love and care. I've been transitioning since Nov. 2004 got tired of the chemicals. Hair was breaking, shedding and looked week and lifeless. I love my natural state it is healtheir, thicker (really thick) and bouncy. Plus, it's easy to take care.

ive started wearing my hair naturally too, mostly because i dont have the time or energy to spend an hour straightening it every time i wash it. its naturally wavy and i usually put it up in a bun while its still wet and then go to sleep, and the next day i have nice waves/curls. i kinda like it actually
smile.gif
im letting the colouring grow out too, i liked my natural colour much better.

Latest posts

Back