NEED a new foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gals!  Help me please!  I NEED a new foundation.  I have never liked a single one I have ever used...always used drugstore though or Clinique.  I would like a full coverage one.  My skin is:  very fair, oily, breakout prone, large visable pores, and I have some sun damage that I need to cover up.  I've read great reviews about several MAC foundations and also Estee Lauder Double Wear (but everyone is mad about their new formula).  HELP!  If I go to the makeup counter will they give me some samples to try or if I end up hating whatever I buy can I return it?

My suggestion is to get samples from Sephora if possible that way you can try before you buy.

I like Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics foundations as well as Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+ as well as BH Cosmetics Liquid Foundation (those are the three I'm currently using).

Like Zadi said, I'd go to sephora and ask one of the girls for help, when I was looking around to buy my MUFE HD foundation the girl found the perfect match for me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I recommend MUFE HD foundation, it has great coverage and a little goes a long way, it's great!

I love MUFE HD too, although the Mat Velvet+ is better for oily skin (Mat Velvet+ dries me out).  My sister liked the Mat Velvet+ (her skin is more oily than mine is).  I like Urban Decay's Naked foundation as well, although I've heard quite a few people say that it'll break down after about 4-6 hours of wear, although it looks fabulous for those first 4-6 hours.

I personally had a hard time finding a MAC color that would fit me.

But yes, definitely try samples. That's the glorious thing about department store brands. You can try it before you buy it, so you might be spending a little bit more than your typical $7-15 drug store foundation, but you can be sure you'll actually like the product before you even spend your first penny on it, instead of buying 5 drug store foundations and hating them all.

Thanks!  I have heard awesome things about the Mat Velvet.  Going to try to get a sample tomorrow at Sephora!

love love love MUFE mat velvet. they also have a kit that comes with other great stuff - primer, finishing powder- for like $76? its great.

(although i have since stopped wearing foundation in general and just wear tinted moisturizer!)

Originally Posted by JmelynnOU /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi gals!  Help me please!  I NEED a new foundation.  I have never liked a single one I have ever used...always used drugstore though or Clinique.  I would like a full coverage one.  My skin is:  very fair, oily, breakout prone, large visable pores, and I have some sun damage that I need to cover up.  I've read great reviews about several MAC foundations and also Estee Lauder Double Wear (but everyone is mad about their new formula).  HELP!  If I go to the makeup counter will they give me some samples to try or if I end up hating whatever I buy can I return it?
Which drugstore ones have your tried, and what have you not liked about them? That will help give me an idea of what 'strength' of features you're looking for....

I also have oily, breakout prone skin, and far from perfect pores. I started using some Estée Lauder Double Wear samples early in 2012 and really love the stuff. It DOES last on me all day, with minimal to no need for powder or blotting throughout the day. It has great coverage & takes very little product to achieve that. It's also great as a concealer for blemishes & under eyes. I'm about an NC20-25 in MAC and use Rattan in DW. Desert Beige was also a very close match for me. I took home about 6 sample shades to try them out before settling on one. I love the stuff so much I bought a 6.7 oz/200ml bottle from a seller I know. It's one of the bottles that they use at EL counters to dispense samples. It works out to be much cheaper by the ounce this way. A 1 oz bottle in my country is about $45 with tax. The 6.7 oz bottle was about $120. Even with shipping ($10), it's still an absolute steal. Another decent one I tried in 2012 was Bobbi Brown's Longwear in Beige. It's also a great foundation that I really liked & will very likely purchase for use in the summer. It covers really well and has a beautiful finish. Well worth the price. I believe it was about the same as EL DW. Another couple favorites of mine are the Maq Pro Paris foundation palette (55 grams of product for about $42; comes with 6 shades in the palette) and Monave's Liquid Matte foundation ($8 for about 7 grams). Both require blotting throughout the day but they really give great coverage & look very natural on the skin. Monave's is made with 100% natural ingredients & can be applied with a brush, sponge or fingers. Maq Pro's foundation is a stiffer wax-based product that is best stippled & blended into the skin. Neither clog my pores or make me break out. Love both of them. For mineral foundation, my all time favorite is Monave's. They have a regular coverage formula & a full coverage formula which can also be used as concealer. These products actually heal any breakouts I might have, and fast. They're also completely free of bismuth oxychloride, unlike many other popular mineral foundations, which is a very common allergen & can cause itching & breakouts for many people. With my oily, breakout prone skin I absolutely cannot use MAC or MUF (or NARS) foundations. They just make my skin worse and wear terribly throughout the day. These are the worst of the bunch for me, by far. I avoid them like the plague since testing them out for several months.

i too always have a hard time trying to find the perfect foundation.  And, I too, go to drugstores.  I do know that CVS and Walgreens will let you return if you are not happy with the color as long as you have your reciept.  I did have one that was AMAZING, but all the writing on the labels and everything wore off in my purse, and I never found that shade again. I have noticed that all the ones that I'm happy with always get discontined....like my favorite jeans.  Why do companys always change things????  I am to the point where I would rather spend $20-30 for the right foundation than have the orange or white face.  I seem to be between the classic ivory and nude.  but every brand is even a bit different when it comes to shades.  UGH!

Kat Von D Lock it in (I believe it's called) is the best, full coverage foundation I have ever come across that has a porcelain doll kind of finish. For a drugstore atternative the almay clear complexion makeup is hands down amazing! it's medium to full coverage and lasts all day giving a very even toned look to the skin that looks fairly natural.

Against what everyone else is saying on this thread - I'd actually stay away from Makep Forever foundations as it they Silica in them which can make certain people with acne prone skin break out - and it certainly did for me. I also don't like the finish of MUFE HD as it's very greasy looking on oily skin types and does not mattify.

I also advise using a rice or clay based powder over one of those HD silica or talc based powders to set. Rice and clay based powders don't irritate the skin, don't break down during the day and have the same "softening effect" of a silica. My favorite are Tarte smooth operator powder and palladio rice powder.

Latest posts

Back