Need advice on brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I have searched the listings (and read a ton of them) but I need advice. Having said that, if you are just going to post links to threads, most of which I have probably already read, please save yourself some time and just hit the back button.

I am planning on getting my wife some brushes as a gift. I saw the other day she was looking a large set on a website, but I didn't get to see which. She doesn't wear alot of makeup, but still loves it. She watches application videos on youtube all the time. I got her some large sets of shadows and what not from sephora and also another set from Mac. The only brushes she currently has are the ones that came with the sets and some lesser quality ones.

From my reading here, mac are the way to go for the casual to professional user if you can spend the $$. I have compiled a couple lists from user suggestions.

I have no idea what all these are for and if there is over lapping. I am trying to build a set to hit the broad range of needs. Can I get some advise on what would be the most "essential" items to place in shopping basket. Would really like to keep it under $200 if possible.

From what i have read, the pre-built sets are of lower quality than buying individual. I did see http://www.sephora.com/deluxe-tortoise-brush-set-P310412 and http://www.sephora.com/deluxe-antibacterial-brush-set-P197107 but have no real idea of what I'm looking at and if it would fit my desires. I am planning on going into our local Mac store this week to see if they have any pre built units along with the Sephora store. I do want to take care of her and get her something of good quality and that she can use for a time while building upon.

Do any of you know of a bundle set within my pricing and would fit me better than trying to piece something together? Also, what should I get to increase the longevity and use of them.

I really appreciate any advice and suggestions.

I don't know of a bundled set of nice brushes, but I prefer Urban Decay's brushes to any other brushes I've ever used. They are here on their website: http://www.urbandecay.com/makeup-tools/11,default,sc.html

If you were to buy all of them, they would cost more than $200, but I think having a few really nice brushes is more important than having a full set of not so nice brushes that you don't even use. 

So here is my suggestion of UD brush essentials:

Good Karma shadow brush $26

Liner brush $24

Finishing brush $39

Blush brush $32

Crease brush $26

Blending brush $26

Powder brush $36

And now the word brush looks really weird to me. 

Thank you for the advice and suggesions.

Anyone else have any experience with the UD line?

Also, what should I get for cleaning, storage, and protection of the brushes?

I don`t know about UD brushes, I think they are all synthetic, I would rather go with MAC, but full size brushes - they are made in Japan, from natural hair (except brush for concealer and liquid foundation). Travel versions, SE, are made in China, and they are not of so great quality as their full size brushes!

On a daily basis I use 217 - this is very versatile brush, you can use it for application and blending eyeshadow. Gives amazing effect, but I know that girls with smaller eyes have been complaining that this brush is too big for their eyes.

I have three of 217
biggrin.gif
! With this brush she won`t need no 222 or 224!

Another great brush is 239, since it is shorter, denser and thinner version of 217, it can be used for more detailed job, namely under lower lashes.

I would highly recommend 168, for contouring AND blush! I love angled brushes and they are easier for use if someone is beginner in makeup.

For precise and detailed job on eyes - pencil brush 219!

These brushes would look very lovely in a set since they all have white hair
wub.gif

Also, I would rather go, instead of 187, with 130! Smaller and shorter duo fibre brush gives flawless look and there are no streaks when applying foundation!

For powder - 134, this is very popular brush!

195 is for concealer.

266 is small angled brush, for eyeliner and for eyebrows.

And there you go, you have the whole set!!
cowboy.gif

Sorry, I forgot about cleaning and storage!

Cleaning - you need a brush shampoo, also available in MAC.

Storage - you can buy her some lovely brush bag/roll or brush hold.

Protecting - brushes will be protected if they stay in brushroll, or she can put them in brush hold and protect with brush guard

http://www.thebrushguard.com/thebrushguard_product.html

Good luck, I hope I`ve helped
beer.gif

(your wife is a lucky woman
biggrin.gif
!)

I just use regular shampoo to clean my brushes. I store mine in a glass vase filled with decorative rocks.

Honestly, no company makes a good line of brushes. If you want good brushes they will likely be a mix from different lines. And just my opinion, but natural hair brushes work better than synthetic. Synthetic I only use for liquid products, such as liquid foundation, cream shadows, etc.

For flat eyeshadow brushes, just about any will do. IMO this is not a brush you need to invest in.

Fluffy blending brushes absolutely need to be invested in. I like my MAC and Chanel brushes, however Chanel just redesigned their brush line and I don't know how the new one performs.

Eyeliner brushes are personal preference. They are either pointed (bent or straight) or angled. I prefer angled, but your wife will likely need to try both to see what she prefers. My angled liner of choice is actually a 1/8" synthetic art brush I got at Michael's for cheap.

My preferred angled brush for eyeshadow is Sonia Kashuk (the white handled, not the black handled ergonomic line)

Foundation brushes are another investment brush. This again can be personal preference. If she likes duo fiber, then the MAC 187 is the way to go. I really don't recommend paddle brushes, but if she likes them the MAC 190 is good (and you can get a great budget version at CVS by Essence of Beauty). I LOVE rounded synthetic foundation brushes, and my go to is by Lauren Luke.

Powder brushes, meh whatever works for me. I find the MAC ones scratchy, and prefer my Lauren Luke brush.

Blush brushes aren't really investment worthy for me either. I like my Image Essentials, MAC, London Soho, etc. Basically unless it is scratchy I like it.

You might consider getting at least 1 small head duo fiber brush (I suggest the MAC 130) for applying cream blushes and highlighters.

Detail brush, nothing beats a MAC 219

If I think of anything else I will add it.

Originally Posted by Suzich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don`t know about UD brushes, I think they are all synthetic, I would rather go with MAC, but full size brushes - they are made in Japan, from natural hair (except brush for concealer and liquid foundation). Travel versions, SE, are made in China, and they are not of so great quality as their full size brushes!

On a daily basis I use 217 - this is very versatile brush, you can use it for application and blending eyeshadow. Gives amazing effect, but I know that girls with smaller eyes have been complaining that this brush is too big for their eyes.

I have three of 217
biggrin.gif
! With this brush she won`t need no 222 or 224!

Another great brush is 239, since it is shorter, denser and thinner version of 217, it can be used for more detailed job, namely under lower lashes.

I would highly recommend 168, for contouring AND blush! I love angled brushes and they are easier for use if someone is beginner in makeup.

For precise and detailed job on eyes - pencil brush 219!

These brushes would look very lovely in a set since they all have white hair
wub.gif

Also, I would rather go, instead of 187, with 130! Smaller and shorter duo fibre brush gives flawless look and there are no streaks when applying foundation!

For powder - 134, this is very popular brush!

195 is for concealer.

266 is small angled brush, for eyeliner and for eyebrows.

And there you go, you have the whole set!!
cowboy.gif

Yes, UD brushes are all synthetic and cruelty free, which is why I like them.

Another great brand with synthetic brushes is Sigma--the Mr and Mrs Bunny lines are great and adorable.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want quality Laura Mercier brushes. to clean my brushes I head off to the art supply store and pick up' The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver' The only thing it won't get out is gel eye liner so a little alcohol and the cleaner, and clean happens always lay flat to dry.

I appreciate all the information and suggestions. I went to Sephora and Mac yesterday and ended up getting some brushes. I got her a litte "starter" set from what I thought were the "essential" ones.

All Mac:

I also purchased the cleaning product that was available there. From what I can tell this would give her the best place to start with her collection. I only got one face-powder brush because she really only wears a small amount of powder. The girl at the store told me it could be used for foundation also. I hope she likes them.

I went back to the pc and figured out she was looking at the Sigma line of brushes. The blonde girl that is on their website is the one in most of the videos she watches on youtube. After doing a search on here, as well as looking at individual reviews on youtube, I did not think those brushes were of the same quality of what you get from Mac. I guess I will see based on her reaction if I made the right decision.

I now know more about makeup brushes than I ever cared to lol. Thank you all again for your insite.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Totally agree with you upon this, but something else is bothering me here - this brushes are made by some poor Chinese worker for 1 dollar monthly wage for brush industry/factory (or slavery?) which sell it to the makeup companies. Makeup companies are then selling them under their name for the price as they`re hand crafted fude. Social cruelty free?

Most of the MAC brushes are made of goat hair. You don`t need to kill goat to cut her fur
wink.gif

@internetchick, nice post!

I agree with you that most of the powder brushes are scratchy. But, I found ones that are not: Trish McEvoy deluxe powder and Shu Uemura 27.

Blush brush for me is essential. I`m a blush addict and I have many kinds of blushes with different textures and easiness of building color. Therefore I have many different blush brushes - one for cream, one for mineral, one for mineral baked (most difficult ones), and for powder blushes.

As considers pencil brush, I like also Sigma`s and Hakuhodo`s.

@Nomejoda, Sigma brushes are excellent for liquid /creamy stuff. As concerns eye shadow brush, they`re OK. I compared E25 and MAC 217, they`re similar, but still 217 beats it.

I agree regarding Sigma. I am in total lust with the brushes I bought from them for my liquid/cream foundation & cream blushes. They are by far my favorite brushes out of all I've used for those products. I first bought an F80, an F82 & an F84. The F80 is a dense, flat top, synthetic brush which I use mainly for blending my blush into bronzer, as well as for light application of loose mineral makeup. The F82 is a dense, flat top exactly like the F80 except that it has rounded sides. I use that mainly for liquid/cream type foundations. Thicker products mainly. Because of the rounded edges, I especially like the way it works around my nose area. The F84 has exactly the same synthetic fibers as the other two but is angled. I use this one mainly for my cream blushes, thicker gel type blushes & mousse type blushes. All 3 of these brushes are so soft, feel so incredibly lush, so easy to work with. I highly recommend all of them, the F82 & F84 being my absolute favorites of the bunch. A week after I received this order of brushes, I found I loved the F82 so much that I bought another one. It's very versatile for the way I apply my own makeup & I know this is a brush I'll be using for a very long time. I find the P86 and P80 are also great synthetic brushes. I use the P86 I use to apply & blend concealer, as well as for concealing small areas with more precision. The P80 I like to use as a mini stippler. Sigma's eye brushes I'm not as excited about. The ones I have I find more difficult to work with than my natural hair brushes. But that's just me, not necessarily everybody. Overall, I've found all their brushes to be really great quality for quite reasonable prices. I was absolutely thrilled with my first & subsequent orders from them. I have a fairly large collection of brushes of all types & have never constrained myself to buying only MAC, for example, or just following the brands that other people are raving about. Brushes are really personal items & there is no such thing as 'one size fits all'. I've found that no single line of brushes is perfect, no matter how expensive. I was recently quite shocked to find some really nice brushes as Walmart which were not only great quality, they were cheap as dirt. I use them very frequently since I bought them. Some of my favorite brushes I've paid less than $2 for & have bought several backups of. Even drug store brands have really improved their products in the last few years. It's pretty amazing what you can get now for just a couple of bucks. Keep in mind that not all women necessarily use brushes as they are intended to be used. Meaning some might find that a 'blush brush' works better for them as a powder brush, or whatever. Many women never use lip brushes because they prefer lipgloss to lipstick. A lot of it comes down to how they feel in the hand, their weight, how the hairs - natural or synthetic - feel on the skin, what kind of cosmetics products a woman prefers etc. Anyways, I think it's really thoughtful of you to be putting so much research, time & effort into your wife's gift & to take notice of even the YouTube gurus she loves. I'm sure she's going to love everything you put together for her. Good luck! :) And Suzich, I totally agree with you regarding so-called 'cruelty free' brushes & products. I honestly really have come to hate that term because it has just turned into yet another meaningless marketing scheme. A product may technically be 'cruelty free'. Meaning the finished product perhaps wasn't tested on animals. But what about each & every ingredient itself? And in which countries do those companies not test on animals? Is this something they're committed to on a global scale? Or only where they know it'll make them more money? I've also lived in many countries & have seen factories that are producing many different products solely for export to Western & European countries. To keep up with our voracious consumerism. The majority have very young children working for slave wages - or no wages, just a grass mat to sleep on the bare floor with - & are sexually as well as physically exploited. Few of us think of this or do any research into the practices of the companies we buy from. Companies know that a label with 'cruelty free' on it sells. And they know we just unquestioningly suck it up.

@ satojoko, beautiful post, now I realize how much I forgot to say
biggrin.gif
!

You are so right when you say that not all women use brushes as they are intended to be - I`m one of them and I love to experiment so I found that some of my brushes are even better for some other purpose.

I still haven`t tried many brushes on the market and I`m planning to get this Sigma F82 after I`ve read your review.

Have you tried Real Techniques maybe?

About that cruelty free philosophy, I agree - it also sounds to me like another marketing scheme. I really don`t blame people who fell for it, they think that they are doing the right thing.

But if those companies are preaching animal protection, then they should make available their (synthetic) brushes at lower prices, not for the prices of around 30 USD. That doesn`t seem right to me! They should encourage people to stop buying brushes that are made of animal hair! If the price is the same or even bigger (!), that`s a big fail and they`re doing it wrong.

I`m trying not to buy brushes made from squirrel`s fur and fur of other small animals, because you just can`t catch them, shave them and let them go but you have to kill them first :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back