Need colors for green eyes....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all...I was talking to my mother tonight who asked me what colors would bring out her eyes. She has green eyes and is in her 40's, still looks very young but she says she doesn't want to look older by wearing colors. She only wears grays now. I don't have green eyes so I wasn't really sure what to tell her. So...I figured I would ask you guy!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Thanks all!!

maybe some gold/bronze colors to bring out the gold sparkles that might be in her eyes. i think gold/bronze looks good on anyone though. lol

Originally Posted by Liz maybe some gold/bronze colors to bring out the gold sparkles that might be in her eyes. i think gold/bronze looks good on anyone though. lol I agree Liz... I have green eyes and golden or bronze shades really do bring out the flecks of gold in them. Also try shades of taupe for a more natural look.
My favorite eyeshadow to bring out my green eyes is "Amber Lights" (a rich gold) from MAC... it works wonders!

icon_cheesygrin.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha Purple is great to bring out green eyes, but if she doesnt wana wear intense colour, she can try plum or mauve and maybe save the purple for lining with x
icon_lol.gif
I was going to suggest purple and plum. Purple and plum colours look great on green eyes. She could used really deep purple for liner and mascara.

I have green eyes and tend to like:

the natural tans/browns to darken the green

peaches/golds to brighten the green and bring out the yellow in the green.

This is a great topic. I am going to post my colorwheel from school. This explains why and which colors compliment eachother.

Your Mom's eyes will look excellent in purples,mauves and plums. If you look at the color wheel, all the colors that are opposites of eachother are complimentary colors.

This is why everything at Christmas and Easter is always so pretty. Easter is purple and yellow.Christmas is red and Green.Or think about the prettiest sunsets you've ever seen....how beautifully bright and blue that sky looks with the orange Sun setting.

Green is opposite red. How do you make Purple?

Red + Blue= Purple.

The Red in Purple is opposite of her green eyes.

Of course, This is just a helpful guideline and nothing is set in stone. I use many colors on many different eye colors and lots of colors make green eyes look beautiful. Afterall, it's not hard to make green eyes look beautiful. My bestfriend has the greenest eyes and I love to put many colors on her but Purples/Plums look the best in my opinion.

The colorwheel theory usually works. For example, I think my blue eyes stand out best when I use any colors with orangy tones to them especially copper colors or browns with copper shimmer. I always loved these colors on my eyes, even before I went to Beautyschool and found out why. Now I know exactly why that is.

Take a look at the Color wheel, you'll see what I mean.

Thanks sweetie, I'm going to print this out and laminate it to put it in my box. :icon_love

Originally Posted by Trisha I recommend purchasing a colour wheel from an art shop, as Gamaki said, they are really really helpful!
heres mine plus a colour wheel previously posted by Joy (i think it was Joy anyway) x

Where did you get yours from Trisha?
I've been looking at them online, but they don't show you the back so I don't know if it would be as good as yours.

Hi Charmaine
smile.gif

Maybe I can shed a little light on the color wheel. Remember in pre school they got you to use finger paints to mix colors? They gave you the three primary colors and explained how to get all the other colors.

Here are the three primary colors:

-Red

-Yellow

-Blue

With these colors you can make basically any color in the crayon box. Example:

red+yellow=orange

red+blue=violet(purple)

Yellow+Blue=Green

These colors are called Secondary colors

Then if you mix the Secondary colors with the primary colors you get the intermediate colors which are basically just the mixed colors like blue-green,red-violet etc...

So, anyway, when all the colors are arranged on the color wheel in order, the colors that are opposites on the color wheel will enhance eachother. And if your eyes are blue, any color with orange undertones will make your eyes pop. If your eyes are green, any color with red undertones will do the same.

Not to confuse you even more but, there are also the tertiary colors.

Orange+green=olive

Green+purple=slate

Orange+purple=Brown

That is why I think Brown eyed Girls can find more colors to make their eyes stand out. It takes more colors to make Brown (two secondary colors) so, naturally there are more colors that oppose those colors. Does that make sense?

Hope this helped a little.
icon_biggrin.gif

Where does skintone come into all of this then, because I have blue eyes and I think orange toned colours look really bad on me. They don't seem to make my eyes stand out at all. I'm really fair skinned(cool toned) with very dark hair so I usually have to wear quite strong colours, and strong orange doesn't really work for me.

Originally Posted by Lealabell Where does skintone come into all of this then, because I have blue eyes and I think orange toned colours look really bad on me. They don't seem to make my eyes stand out at all. I'm really fair skinned(cool toned) with very dark hair so I usually have to wear quite strong colours, and strong orange doesn't really work for me. Lealabell,Hi hon, try and think of it in a less basic way. I myself would never take bright orange eyeshadow and just go to town with it. (yuk) basically any color with orange undertones will do the trick. Myself, I LOVE brown eyeshadows with copper shimmer particles in them because of how the copper makes my blue eyes stand out. Copper is basically a shade of orange. Of course, I expiriment with many colors and love lots of them on me but I always go back to the same type of shadow because of how bright it makes my eyes and also because of how neutral and easy to wear it is.

I'll play around with my eyeshadows later and try to post some example swatches.

Originally Posted by gamaki Lealabell,Hi hon, try and think of it in a less basic way. I myself would never take bright orange eyeshadow and just go to town with it. (yuk) basically any color with orange undertones will do the trick.

I know what you mean, but whenever I try and get an e/s or e/l specifically to suit me and my colouring I always seem to swap them away (eg. MACs Rich Ground Fluidline) or give them to my Mum. I do have a lot of golden flecks in my eyes, and they're ringed in very dark blue so I tend to prefer to emphasise the golden flecks instead to lighten my eyes up.

Hi Lea,

It's not ironclad, of course everyone has their own preferences. The color wheel is just a helpful tool to make you understand the basic principles of color. If you have a certain color that you love to wear....stick to what works!
icon_biggrin.gif

I also love to wear purples and blues on my eyes and they say that wearing the same color eyeshadow as your eyes will do nothing to enhance them. I think "they" are wrong. I love how Cameron Diaz's eyes look with blue shadows/liners and her eyes are SOOOOOO blue.

Bottom line-you know yourself better than anyone and what you like.

Maybe some other MuTers can do some color expirementing and see if the color wheel can help them out?

Originally Posted by gamaki Hi Lea,It's not ironclad, of course everyone has their own preferences. The color wheel is just a helpful tool to make you understand the basic principles of color. If you have a certain color that you love to wear....stick to what works!
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm totally with you on wearing blue e/s, I saw it in a magzine as one of those never wear blue e/s with blue eyes things.
I'm sorry if my posts have sounded a bit awkward, I think what I really wanted to know was if the colour wheel will work for other features too like hair colour and skintone. Have you ever matched using persons hair colour with the colour wheel to help them pick colours?

It depends....It's really on a face by face basis. For instance, if I do makeup on a redhead with blue eyes, I might like to use green eyeshadow so, the green is opposite her red hair but not of her eyecolor. Perhaps, I am looking to emphasize her striking red hair. But then, if you really get into the details of the color wheel, then you can break it all down and in reality it is a circle so the colors are all connected. I do also look at the tones of the skin and take that into my decision. But in the end, it all comes down to the person. I mean someone might absolutely be revolted by a certain color but yet, that color might really make her features come alive. It doesn't matter though, if she is hell bent on staying clear of that color. I always try to remain respectful of someones personal taste and preferences. I want people to feel beautiful, it doesn't really matter if I think she'd look better with a certain color.Makeup is really about how you feel anyway. From a Makeup Artist's prospective though, it's much more fun and gratifying to do makeup on someone who is open to try new colors and different applications. That is when you can truly be an artist and find out which colors suit that person.

Different strokes for different folks!!..LOL

p.s.If you are interested in what colors I might use on you, you can post a color picture of your face with no makeup and I can suggest what I would do. No two artists would tell you the same thing but it's always fun to get different people's perspectives. Even myself, I love to get my makeup done by other artists to see what they might do on me.

Thanks for all the great info!!! Hopefully she finds at least one of these that works for her. Would like to see her in something other then gray. Thanks again all!!
biggrin.gif

Eyes - MAC Amber Lights Bourjois Les Bruns Couvre Bronze on lid and crease, MAC Carbon along top lashes, MAC Sketch on lower lash line

Originally Posted by XxCalixX Hi all...I was talking to my mother tonight who asked me what colors would bring out her eyes. She has green eyes and is in her 40's, still looks very young but she says she doesn't want to look older by wearing colors. She only wears grays now. I don't have green eyes so I wasn't really sure what to tell her. So...I figured I would ask you guy!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Thanks all!!

Latest posts

Back