Need fine hair recommendation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good alternative for very fine and limp hair? My friend's mom used to use the "Back to Basic's Basic Texture's Be Thick Thickening Hair Crème" product (a leave in type thing) that has been discontinued now for a couple years and we cannot find it anywhere on the internet nor Ebay......her 76 year old mom is asking us to find her a replacement that gave her very fine hair nice thickness and made it easy for her to curl as well.....I dont know where to begin....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My favorite line for volume is BigSexyHair - their products are awesome!
wink.gif

Thank you Janelle......I am Marianne from Appleton Wisconsin and I will give it a try......

Welcome to MUT Marianne. I am Marisol from San Francisco and I look forward to getting to know you.

Like you I also have very thin and limp hair. A huge difference can be made by just knowing what ingredients to look for. The majority of hair care products have great eye catching bottles and slogans and contain little to no actual beneficial hair care ingredients. So here are some to look out for:

These ingredients will help build your actual hair which will eventually lead to thicker and healthier hair, without split ends. Your hair is made of proteins and basically these ingredients rebuild you hair.

Wheat Protein

Soy Protein

Amino Acids

Silk Protein

Collagen

Panthenol -Provitamin B5

-it should also be noted that many products contain minimal percentages of these ingredients, as low as 0.5% so look for these ingredients listed closer to the beginning of the ingredient list*

These ingredients will help clear your actual hair follicles. This will lead to a cleaner scalp, more actual hair growth, and help with dandruff and dry scalp problems. These are also natural ingredients to clean your hair although the majority of products use surficants which are basically chemically produces cleansers:

Emu Oil

Essential Oils of Rosemary, Cedarwood, Peppermint, Patchouli, Tea Tree

These ingredients are good for conditioning your hair adding softness, shine, getting rid of frizz ect.:

Emu Oil

Jojoba Oil

Hemp Oil

Avocado Oil

I hope this helps a bit, just keep using product with these ingredients and your hair will improve 100%. I make all my hair care stuff, so unfortunetly I don't use many main stream products, but if you're looking for something along those lines Nexxuss, Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Line Only( I don't like there other stuff), Aveeda, and Nioxin are good. I won a bunch of Sexy Hair products a while ago and I was only impressed with their hair spray. When in doubt just go by the ingredients. =)

Originally Posted by mwinter Does anyone know a good alternative for very fine and limp hair? My friend's mom used to use the "Back to Basic's Basic Texture's Be Thick Thickening Hair Crème" product (a leave in type thing) that has been discontinued now for a couple years and we cannot find it anywhere on the internet nor Ebay......her 76 year old mom is asking us to find her a replacement that gave her very fine hair nice thickness and made it easy for her to curl as well.....I dont know where to begin....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I too have very thin hair. Things that have helped me are first shampooing with a clarifying shampoo, Pantene pro-v makes a good one, then if using conditioner a very light weight only on the ends. Then I love Big Sexy Hair root lifter. I put it on my roots and about 3 in. down when my hair is almost dry then I hold my head upside down and blowdry the rest of the way dry. I also use a 1 1/2in. barrel curling iron after this.

I too have baby fine, thin hair. I love natural products and have been using a lavender volume shampoo and conditioner from Young Living Essential Oils.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="96%" align=center bgColor=#48598a border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=head_header style="HEIGHT: 18px" align=middle width="75%">LAVENDER VOLUME SHAMPOO - 8 OZ</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 8px; HEIGHT: 162px" vAlign=top>Provides all natural ingredients for volumizing fine hair. This hair and scalp wash is fortified with a vitamin complex, including panthenol and vitamins A, C, and E. MSM to provide sulfur to help build and strengthen hair. Essential oils provide a beautiful fragrance. Lavender Hair & Scalp Wash gently cleanses while adding volume. </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 100px" bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 8px" vAlign=top colSpan=3>How to use: Wet hair, apply, and lather. For maximum benefit, leave on two to five minutes. Rinse thoroughly.

Ingredients: Coconut oil, decyl polyglucose, MSM, vegetable protein (wheat, oat, and or soya), deionized water, nettles extract, mushroom extract, billberry extract, sugar cane extract, lemon extract, sugar maple extract, orange extract, essential oils of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), clary sage (Salvia sclarea), lemon (Citrus limon), and jasmine (Jasminum officinale), aloe vera gel, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), panthenol (vitamin B5), grape seed extract, inositol, and niacin.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="96%" align=center bgColor=#48598a border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=head_header style="HEIGHT: 18px" align=middle width="75%">LAVENDER CONDITIONER - 8 OZ</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 8px; HEIGHT: 162px" vAlign=top>A fabulous follow-up to the Lavender Volume Hair and Scalp Wash. The MSM and milk protein strengthen tired and weak hair. Essential oils leave hair clean and perfumed. This rinse will condition the hair and aid it in rejuvenating itself and restoring essential nutrients. </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 100px" bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 8px" vAlign=top colSpan=3>How to use: Apply thoroughly to wet, washed hair, focusing on the end of the hair shaft. Leave on for two to five minutes for maximum benefit. Rinse thoroughly.

Ingredients: Natural vegetable fatty acid base, MSM, milk protein, phospholipids, amino acids cysteine and cysteine 8 methionine, glyco protein (Glycogen and mucopolysaccharides), quinoa extract, rosemary extract, sage extract, horsetail extract, coltsfoot extract, hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed soy protein, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), the essential oils of lavender ( Lavandula angustifolia ), panthenol (vitamin B5), grape seed extract, and essential oils of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), clary sage ( Salvia sclaria ), lemon (Citrus limon), and jasmine ( Jasminum officinale ), tocopheryl acetate ( vitamin E ), panthenol (vitamin B5), and grape seed extract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They both smell good and make my hair so shiny. I have tried other products that seem to plump my hair up more but I prefer this because I know it's more beneficial and will help my hair in the long run. They are pretty expensive but well worth the money IMO.

on one of the threads it says that apple cider vinegar gives great volume and great shine

I like using Charles Worthington Big Volume shampoo and conditioner along with the big volume mousse. You can buy it at walgreens or ulta.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 My favorite line for volume is BigSexyHair - their products are awesome!
wink.gif
Janelle - her friend's mom is 76!
icon_lol.gif
Won't she get a kick out of having BIGSEXYHAIR again!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by makeupmoma Janelle - her friend's mom is 76!
icon_lol.gif
Won't she get a kick out of having BIGSEXYHAIR again!
icon_lol.gif
Hey, don't we all ? lol
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back