Net speak question

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This isn't so much a rant as a question. I'm genuinely perplexed at this:

Why do people type multiple letters in a word when its not necessary?

For example:

"I reallyyyyyy enjoy this new eyeshadow. It's my favoriteeee."

It's confusing to me, because people don't go around talking like this in real life. Thoughts?

OMG- you MUST be talking about me because i do this waaaaay too much (HAHA)

i never do the example as you showed up there though, i always do it as i seem to be thinking it in my head, as i would say it out loud.

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif OMG- you MUST be talking about me because i do this waaaaay too much (HAHA)i never do the example as you showed up there though, i always do it as i seem to be thinking it in my head, as i would say it out loud.

same with me! i do it a lot, too.

i actually do talk like that.

am i the only one to draw words out like really, or way? (good example, brewgrl!)

Its only confusing/annoying when its at the end of words for some reason, like the last letter of that word.

Originally Posted by Maysie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Its only confusing/annoying when its at the end of words for some reason, like the last letter of that word. i do that all the timeeeee
frown.gif
sorry, but i really don't know why LOL

I noticed this too, lol. It's like the emphasis is in the wrong place or something, hehe.

Yeah, I agree with everyone, it's for emphasis.

I think the reason why it is placed at the end of the word sometimes and seems to be misplaced, is because most of the time, the last syllable is drawn out.

agreed, for me it indicates added emphasis, but I prefer it to be where the emphasis should be, if at all possible. Like "waaaay too much" rather than wwwaaayyyyyy or what have you. For me anyway
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nosepickle /img/forum/go_quote.gif it's just a way of putting emphasis on words, I guess.
iagree.gif

I do that too sometimes, with soooo, waaay, and reeeally

lol sorry it's annoying !

I agree with everyone... sometimes I do it when I'm typing for emphasis.

I don't do it a lot, I notice I use it when I'm saying so. Like he has me soooo upset.

Usually that's the only time... that I noticed anyway.

I have a dot problem though.. it annoys me at times, I have to learn how to stop. LOL!

I'm guilty too. I think I've done it in almost every post lol. I'm just very expressive sometimes hahaha.

lol I'm so guilty of using this.

Like what people have posted, its for expressing emphasis and stress.

In IRC channels, the use of ~ at the end of the sentence is also popular.

example: hiya girl~~~~~~~~~ or no~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the ~~~~ sort of represents the prolonged and trailled use of the voice :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Guilty as charged. I do it to emphisise a word mainly on how I'm feeling at the time. I think.

I'm a total habitual dotter as well!!! (((or really any punctuation mark for that matter)))

oh... and i almost always do it in sets of 3

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with everyone... sometimes I do it when I'm typing for emphasis.
I don't do it a lot, I notice I use it when I'm saying so. Like he has me soooo upset.

Usually that's the only time... that I noticed anyway.

I have a dot problem though.. it annoys me at times, I have to learn how to stop. LOL!

I vote u should try not to let what other people type bother u so much?

Latest posts

Back