New App “Circle Of 6″ Can Prevent Sexual Violence

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-03-21/new-app-circle-of-6-can-prevent-sexual-violence/

Quote: I’ll admit I was skeptical when I heard that the White House was holding a technology challenge for developers to create an app that would help prevent sexual violence. All of the stuff that I believe can change the prevalence of sexual violence — harsher punishments for criminals, a cultural change on what consent means, a modification of the way we use alcohol and drugs — cannot be found in the App Store. But I’m impressed — very impressed — by the contest’s winning app called Circle Of Six.

Cirlce Of 6 allows you to pick six friends whom you can easily contact when you need help. Text messages are prewritten into the app with messages like “call and pretend you need me, I need an interruption†and “come and get me, I need help going home safely.†The latter message uses GPS on Google Maps to tell your pals your exact location. There’s even an option to call 911 or sexual assault or domestic abuse hotlines.  

The Circle of 6 app is free — yup, free! — so there’s no reason for those of us with smartphones not to download it. (I am right now!) You never know when you might need your friends.

This sounds like a really great app. Thought I would pass it on.

Wow, this sounds amazing. My best friend and I have "code words" we use when we are on a date or whatever, but this will make it even easier. I no longer have to text "grim reaper mows the lawn" with an app like this. 

Back