New Fashion Trend

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read this in a few places. Can you believe it? I will wait and see if it's real!
icon_eek.gif

Naughty losing out to nice in fashion

clear.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
clear.gif
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

By Jean Patteson

The Orlando Sentinel

July 20, 2004

Miniskirts, skimpy tops and those embarrassing, thong-baring jeans are on the way out. They are being replaced by high-waist pants, long-sleeve tunics and knee-grazing skirts.

The latest fashion watchword is modesty.

A word long missing from the style lexicon, it's suddenly on the tongue of every trend-watcher, on the runways of London, Paris and New York, and in the latest issues of magazines as different as Seventeen, InStyle and Vogue.

"Naughty vs. nice," trumpets Vogue's cover. And inside: "The end of the reign of the teen pop temptress. . . . Britney, Paris and Christina are overexposed in every way."

InStyle suggests readers steal the preppy '50s look of Faith Hill in "The Stepford Wives," and praises the "bookish refinement" of Hilary Swank's buttoned-up white blouse and knee-length gray skirt.

Hilary Duff, looking squeaky-clean in a demure, dove-gray jacket over a white top, is Seventeen's cover girl. (Could old-fashioned names such as Hilary also be part of the trend?)

"The first reason that comes to mind is the most obvious: the fashion pendulum," says Rachel Weingarten, a trends expert and president of GTK Marketing Group in New York. "Fashion is always swinging from one extreme to the other: mini to maxi, tight leggings to baggy pants, bare to covered-up.

There's also the current backlash against showing too much skin, she says -- against Abercrombie & Fitch's naked catalog models, against Janet Jackson's nipple flash during the Super Bowl halftime show.

The backlash against revealing fashions has been unusually virulent in recent months, says Lyn Mikel Brown, an associate professor of women's gender and sexuality studies at Colby College in Waterville, Maine.

The reason: Marketers have targeted "even the littlest girls with sexualized clothing and messages."

Catherine Stellin, a vice president at Youth Intelligence, a trend-tracking company in Los Angeles, agrees the "slutty look" is passe.

In interviews with girls and young women across the country, "the word 'trashy' came up a lot," Stellin says. Teens who a few months ago emulated the provocative style of pop idols such as Jennifer Lopez now are spurning those looks as "trashy," she says.

Their new role models are fresh-faced stars such as TV's Mischa Barton of "The O.C." and Amber Tamblyn of "Joan of Arcadia."

Sexy style is the culmination of two major lifestyle forces: "The sexual-liberation movements of the 1970s and the physical-fitness craze of the '80s.

They merged during the '90s, slowly but surely," says David Wolfe, creative director at the Doneger Group, a trend-forecasting company in New York. "Now low-rise can go no lower -- I hope."

Fashion has reached the point of "sleaze fatigue," says Jamie Ross, another consultant with the Doneger Group. "Bare just doesn't look new anymore -- and fashion needs to look new all the time."

Article # 2

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>American Newsreel

(Perspective on the news by Capitol Hill Blue founder and publisher Doug Thompson)</TD></TR><!-- begin syndicated content --><SCRIPT language=Javascript1.1><!-- var syndicate = new Object; syndicate.title_fontbold = true; syndicate.title_fontital = false; syndicate.title_fontface = 'arial,helvetica,sans-serif'; syndicate.title_fontsize = '3'; syndicate.title_fontcolor = '#000099'; syndicate.date_fontbold = false; syndicate.date_fontital = true; syndicate.date_fontunder = false; syndicate.date_fontface = 'Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'; syndicate.date_fontsize = '1'; syndicate.date_fontcolor = '#666666'; syndicate.summary_fontbold = false; syndicate.summary_fontital = false; syndicate.summary_fontunder = false; syndicate.summary_fontface = 'arial,helvetica,sans-serif'; syndicate.summary_fontsize = '2'; syndicate.summary_fontcolor = '#000000'; syndicate.bgcolor = '#FFFFFF'; syndicate.max_articles = '1'; syndicate.display_date = true; syndicate.display_summaries = true; syndicate.not_found_message = 'Sorry, no articles were found.'; // --> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript1.1 src="http://www.americannewsreel.com/artman/publish2/syndicate_0.js"></SCRIPT><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>The Whore Look is Out

Jul 27, 2004

Skin, it appears, is no longer in. According to the fashion police (the clothing manufacturers who want to make more money selling more clothes) fashions for teenage girls are heading for the modest side of the street.

"Naughty vs. nice," says Vogue's cover. Inside: "The end of the reign of the teen pop temptress. . . . Britney, Paris and Christina are overexposed in every way."

Catherine Stellin, a vice president at Youth Intelligence, a trend-tracking company in Los Angeles, agrees the "slutty look" is passe.

In interviews with girls and young women across the country, "the word 'trashy' came up a lot," Stellin says. Teens who a few months ago emulated the provocative style of pop idols such as Jennifer Lopez now are spurning those looks as "trashy," she says.

No more little girls looking like little whores? Oh, the horror of it all.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

wangotangolive.jpg
<---- Christina A.
DSC_5555.jpg
<-- Hilary Duff

Wow this is great! I've also heard about this and think it is a very good thing. The other day I was shopping in a store at the mall with my friends when I see a little girl, about 6 or 7 years old, run up to her mom with a tiny thong in her hand asking if she could get it. This is just disgusting to me. And we wonder why there are lots of 6th graders aren't even virgins any more. I think the whole preppy yet wholesome and pretty way that the women in the stepford wives dressed was beautiful. I also think the conservative fashions of the victorians is awesome.

Lets hope this is true. I always tell my daughter that being sexy is leaving something to the imagination unlike many of the girls nowadays who haveto bare everything. Whore look is out -GOOD!!!

yes, ive read this in several places, and im kind of glad. the 70s charlies angels looks is coming back. lol. i have to say that i love midi skirts and wrap skirts. i cant take the ruched boots, though. :::shudders::: high waisted jeans are flattering to no one. no one! i dont care for the super low rise crotch dusters, but really high pants give everyone a mom butt. that is, unless youre blessed with a brooke shields bum. sigh. my pants are always too long in the crotch anyways. low rise are belly button length for me. being short crotched is just my burder to bear. lol. do you think i could say crotch one more time?

Amen sistah ShoeDiva! Leaving something to the imagination is definitely more sexy!!!

Originally Posted by shoediva Lets hope this is true. I always tell my daughter that being sexy is leaving something to the imagination unlike many of the girls nowadays who haveto bare everything. Whore look is out -GOOD!!!

That is very good news. It is time we went back to more modest fashions. Yeah, I can go shopping again. Speaking of Britney Spears though FYI she is launching a new cosmetic line with Elizabeth Arden. They are trying to update there look and be seen as a more trendy make-up line, instead of your grandmothers make-up. With this news though of trends turning away from the likes of Britney this could be a bad idea for them unless she joins the modest bandwagon.

I personally dont think that would be a good idea for EA. I dont consider Britney a classic beauty and on top of that her reputation probably wouldn't help the company either. I'm sure there are other young actresses/celebrities who would make a better fit. Sorry Britney.

I totally agree to go from a classy model like Catherine Zeta-Jones to represent them to Britney, seems like a really bad choice. I guess they want to get away from there classy image for something more trendy and trashy?!

Originally Posted by WarholsMarilyn I totally agree to go from a classy model like Catherine Zeta-Jones to represent them to Britney, seems like a really bad choice. I guess they want to get away from there classy image for something more trendy and trashy?! I completely second this. Watch it be highly successful. I think girls want to look like Brit. However, I think they also need to fire their marketing manager now. Bad move!'
hhemergency.gif

Hi Angelica! Welcome!!

You are totally right. I like MTV and my music but am getting sick and tired of seeing half naked girls when I tune in!! My daughter also loves music but I have no choice but to ban her from watching MTV. I hate the fact that men love it and women feed into it!!!

Originally Posted by shoediva Hi Angelica! Welcome!!
You are totally right. I like MTV and my music but am getting sick and tired of seeing half naked girls when I tune in!! My daughter also loves music but I have no choice but to ban her from watching MTV. I hate the fact that men love it and women feed into it!!!

Well I have to agree. The fact that young girls are being influenced by this especially hit home when I babysat a few days ago. My niece, who is only 5, wanted to look "sexy" like Jennifer Lopez and she even danced like her with gyrating hips. She modeled some short skirts and pulled them up to showcase her legs. She thought it was funny. This was me:
scared.jpg
She also wanted to watch movies, not about other little kids, but about teens. She wanted to play games where "ex boyfriends" and "marriage proposals" were involved. Then she wanted to put on makeup and pose sexily in the mirror. I'm sufficiently freaked out now.

Raising a little girl is one of the hardest jobs, and the media and society does not help. MY SO says that I am too strict with my daughter but how can I not be?? I recently went to a b'day BBQ, for a 14 year old. She was allowed to invite all her friends (boys and girls). The stuff I saw made me mad . First of all the girls were all dressed like little hookers. One of the girls had a little tight t-shirt and her chest had to be at least a DD cup. It was amazing how very popular she was and how all the boys were taking turns hugging her. I wanted to pop her and the boys!! I kept my 10 year old by my side all night. It scared the Sh&^! out of me!! Sometimes I dont know what to do?? Do I keep her home all the time and not allow her to go anywhere? Do I keep her away from TV?? You get one chance to raise your kids, so you better do it right!

Latest posts

Back