New L'oreal and Maybelline BB creams...Worst face products EVER?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made a run to CVS today and to my surprise the new BB creams from L'oreal and Maybelline were on display. Both of them had testers...the Maybelline dream fresh bb cream had 3, one for each shade while the L'oreal magic skin beautifier had only one in the color Light. 

I tried them out and I have to say
wtf.gif

First I took a pic as soon as I applied them. The maybelline was LITERALLY the color of mac and cheese...a bit darker in person than the pic shows. The L'oreal seemed promising as it came out of the tube as a thin white liquid, and is supposed to match your skin color after being touched.

This was in the process of rubbing both into my skin a bit. Again both look darker in real life. The Maybelline had a nice consistency, but it's SO orange that you can see where it goes over my veins it literally starts looking green!! By the time you blend the l'oreal the outer edges seem to dry up and refuse to darken like the rest. it looks much drier in my pics than it is...i was still able to blend it in quite a bit after this and as I did it kept getting darker and redder 
moon.gif

This is the end result....

The maybelline ended up looking like a poop stain and the L'oreal made me look like a burn victim. Regardless of how well it matches me, does ANYONE aim for their skin to be these colors? 
icon_scratch.gif

I am SOOOO grateful they had testers out for these cause if I had wasted my money to look like that I'd have been pissed. 

Strange, they turned out totally different on you than they did on me....I'm not gonna say they're awesome, but they at least didn't suck like that.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Strange, they turned out totally different on you than they did on me....I'm not gonna say they're awesome, but they at least didn't suck like that.
Well you can see in the 2nd pic the L'oreal didn't look too bad. I took the first 2 pics in the store...and didn't snap the 3rd till I got home about 20 minutes later. I was actually shocked that it turned THAT red. I've used almays color changing products before, and though they were too dark for me they still turned to normal colors. 

Honestly, I'm wondering if your store got a bad batch or if there is some sort of chemical reaction going on. Here are the swatches I did (of the L'Oreal Magic and of the Maybelline, both in LIGHT. Bear in mind that this is my driving arm and thus MUCH darker than my face, as I have whined about a zillion times on here LOL and which is sorta obvious when you see the underside of my arm there) within a few minutes of each other, so that the lighting, etc. did not change.

Initial Application (top is L'Oreal, bottom is Maybelline):

AND, a few minutes later:

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't know there were 2 out. It was this display

Ok, that's the L'Oreal Magic (I called it Magique incorrectly). The Youth Code seems even darker and is almost twice the price....

looked up other reviews of it and most are saying the same thing

from this link http://wieniawski.blogspot.com/2012/06/loreal-magic-skin-beautifier-bb-cream.html

"On my back of hand, the colors seemed like a spot-on match....That's until a few minutes later, when the whole thing turned into a burnt-reddish brown patch. The back of my hand is already pretty tanned so I am not sure how ridiculous it will turn out once it's on my face. If you are NC/NW 30 or lighter, you might want to go for the one in Fair..."

Really odd that it doesn't do that on me. I really do wonder if it's something to do with chemical reactions on individual folks' skin.

it definitely could be. I found another review on a paler person that compares the same 2 you bought

http://www.budgetbeautyblog.com/2012/06/loreal-youth-code-bb-vs-loreal-magic-bb.html

" I purchased this in "Light" but they do have a lighter shade called "fair" which is what I actually should have gotten.  The "light" shade comes out really dark on my skin and has a reddish-orange cast to it."

I'm just surprised cause you'd think they would have tested it enough to know it does that for quite a few people. 

I got the L'oreal. That same one. YUCK! Just feels gritty going on then color ugly. This is a real miss!!! Waste of money!

Also here's a few pics of the Maybelline BB cream just to give you a better idea of how ridiculous the color is 

"Maybellines Dream Fresh BB Cream is extremely Orange and required a lot of blending to ease out the tangerine tinge!

I would not recommend this for light skin tones at all."

"I found Maybelline's Dream Fresh BB Cream to fall flat of many claims,
it does not compliment the skin-tone and on pale skin this will be orange and not pleasant at all."

Yikes!  Thanks for posting a review, those top photos look like you're a victim of a terrible disease, your poor arm!  I can't imagine what it would look like rubbed all over someone's face!  Reviews like this really help me out a lot because I do a lot of my shopping online and I hate having to deal with the hassle of returning things.  I can't imagine that these formulas will stay on the market for too long, they need to be fixed or discontinued, eek.  Although it could be a personal chemistry thing, like Calexxia said.  I don't want to take the chance on wasting money on it.  Although, I just remembered I do have a blister sample from my free Allure subscription and I think it's one of those brands . . .  Maybe I will be a guinea pig too to see how it works on more people.  Were they hard to scrub off?  

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yikes!  Thanks for posting a review, those top photos look like you're a victim of a terrible disease, your poor arm!  I can't imagine what it would look like rubbed all over someone's face!  Reviews like this really help me out a lot because I do a lot of my shopping online and I hate having to deal with the hassle of returning things.  I can't imagine that these formulas will stay on the market for too long, they need to be fixed or discontinued, eek.  Although it could be a personal chemistry thing, like Calexxia said.  I don't want to take the chance on wasting money on it.  Although, I just remembered I do have a blister sample from my free Allure subscription and I think it's one of those brands . . .  Maybe I will be a guinea pig too to see how it works on more people.  Were they hard to scrub off?  
For me both left a slight stain on my arm, the L'oreal being worse. I scrubbed with a wet wipe and this is what's left behind

You can see just a bit below the L'oreal swatch and to the left of the Maybelline my skin had a bit of redness from me scrubbing so I definitely used pressure. If that were my face I'd be mortified!!

I do agree it could be something chemically, but quite a few people are having similar reactions to mine so it does seem to be a frequent issue.

That is terrible. I haven't really had an interest in the BB craze, the 'traditional' ones from Asia are really only for lighter skin, and even the Americanized versions have limited shade range. Not really appealing to us darker skinned gals. Yuck, I just cant get over that burn victim effect. EW.

Wow, those are awful! I tried samples of Dr Jart's bb creams & they were too light so I didn't waste time searching for an alternative bb cream. Plus, I have tons of acne scars that I have to cover up on a daily basis so bb creams were in general useless on me.

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gifAlthough it could be a personal chemistry thing, like Calexxia said.  I don't want to take the chance on wasting money on it. 
Part of why I'm glad there ARE testers in store--I wish more drugstore brands did (at least for foundation-type things). I'm not really all that scientific, but I wonder...just a hypothesis...I'm anemic, so I wonder if the lower levels of iron in my blood are why it didn't oxidize funky on me? With my undertones being fairly pink, I almost expected it would from how Amber's skin reacted....but it totally didn't. I was just thinking, you know....rust....Maybe I'm totally off, who knows?

Part of why I'm glad there ARE testers in store--I wish more drugstore brands did (at least for foundation-type things). I'm not really all that scientific, but I wonder...just a hypothesis...I'm anemic, so I wonder if the lower levels of iron in my blood are why it didn't oxidize funky on me? With my undertones being fairly pink, I almost expected it would from how Amber's skin reacted....but it totally didn't. I was just thinking, you know....rust....Maybe I'm totally off, who knows?
I completely agree I think all foundation displays should have testers. I'm excited for the new L'oreal lumi foundation display cause I know they have testers for a porcelain shade. I would also agree with you about the iron thing except I'm anemic as well lol.

Latest posts

Back