New to Make-Up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I introduced myself in general chit-chat as some one new to the Make-Up/beauty world. For a first timer what are the basic necessities? I don't want to buy a whole Make-Up kit yet until I know I like the product; I am just mostly interested in accessories...applicators and such. Also maybe a few of you can tell me your daily make-up routine? Or products you can't do with out. THanks so much in advance....and again any advice would be appreciated.
smile.gif

Regards,

Annia

Well, my absolute must-haves are a good moisturizer, mascara, lip gloss, and brow pencil ( I just don't like the way my brows look when they aren't filled in). I don't always like to use foundation, especially if I am gonna be in the sun alot. I have also found that if you are gonna use foundation, a foundation brush is an absolute must, for me anyways. If you are gonna go for eyeshadows, I would check out MAC, they have some really awesome colors. I'm sure some of the other girls will give you some info too on what they like and suggest.

my staples to start off with are:

-mascara

-a light champagne color. use it during the day. use it to look more awake. used with darker colors, and as a brow highlighter.

I always do a full face everyday - concealor, powder foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipbalm, and lipstick/gloss. I'm sure you don't want to start off with that much, but products I can't live without are...

- Max Factor Panstik (I use this as my concealor - it's GREAT!!
biggrin.gif
)

- Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Powder

- L'oreal Quickstick (I use this as my eyeshadow base!)

- MAC, Stila, Urban Decay, Cargo e/s

- MAC Fluidlines

- Jordana Color XTend Eyeliners

- Cover Girl Super Thick Lash Mascara

- Palmer's Cocoa Butter Swivel Stick (my lipbalm)

- MAC lipglass/lusteglass

Oh, and for brushes, I love the Target exclusive Sonia Kashuk brand, as well as CVS's Essence of Beauty line.

Hope this helps some!!
smile.gif

Annia,

What *if anything* do you do or have you done in the past?

Also, what is your price range for tools?

For example a drugstore eyeshadow brush will cost approximately $3-9, whereas a department store brand such as make will be in the upper teens or more.

Well I haven't really tried anything and I am very inexperienced. I tried foundation, mascara, lipstick; however never played with eye shadows and variations of colors. I am not sure what colors would go best with me. I was thinking of going to a make-up artist for help.

As for prices, I am willing to pay the price as long as the product is good on my skin.

Here's what I look like. Maybe I can get some advice on colors? The first two are the most recent pictures from earlier this year. The last two are from about 2 yrs ago when I was a tooth pick. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Oh and I still have long hair and its still brown. I also need hair tips lol I never style it.

Kayaking1.jpg

Seattletrain.jpg

entering_train.jpg

me1.jpg

ra.jpg

*edit* I added 1 more pic I found

Hi Annia. let me tell you this first: you are such a natural beauty, I bet you don´t even have to wear a lot of makeup to look good. and I LOVE your outfit in the 2nd pic from above. you have great canvas to start with, good skin, full lips and outstanding eyes. it should be easy for you to work with that since I can´t see any flaws you´d have to hide. the only thing I can see (if I look really closely *g*) is that your eyes are kinda deep set.

I bet the other girls have better advice on how to apply e/s to make eyes appear more open though.

the only advice I have is:

1.) choose a clear/light pink/peach lip gloss to make your lips look even fuller (looks like they are already pretty pigmented)

2.) apply a light pink blush on the apples of your cheeks (if you´re not doing that already)

I´ll hand the more specific color suggestions over to the other girls, we have some ladies with pretty amazing stashes on here so I´m sure you´ll get the right advice.

Annia first of all I want to tell you that you have beautiful cheekbones,so you need alight pink or peach blush to give them a little glow,also a lipstick or gloss in peachy/pink colors would be great on you!!Now for the eyeshadows I believe you have to experiment a little so that you can see what you like.But from the fotos I see that any color would be great on you,but you can start with light pastel shades,and of course a mascara!!

Wow Annia, you are so pretty. I love those eyes! I think the girls gave some great suggestions here. If you dont want to spend much money then there are lots of drugstore brands that have fabulous products. Here are my drugstore rec's:

Mascara: Maybelline Full N Soft or L'Oreal Voluminous

Eyeshadows: Milani

Lipgloss: Rimmel

Foundations: Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse

Blushes: Rimmel (and Maybellines Mousse Blushes are getting fantastic raves at the mo!)

Originally Posted by Liz my staples to start off with are:-mascara

-a light champagne color. use it during the day. use it to look more awake. used with darker colors, and as a brow highlighter.

Wet'n'Wild makes a great champagne-y color called All Over Shimmer...it's packaged as a blusher, though. It's great on the lid and/or browbone and on the cheekbones for a glowy look. Cheap too, so you can get a feel for what you like.
Agree with Laura:

I love L'Oreal Voluminous in Black/Brown!

I like the Maybelline dream matte mousse too, but haven't tried a mousse blush yet. To risk sounding repetitive, I think that the wet'n'wild blush in naive would look good on you too, but blush is kind of something you have to try out to see how bright/sheer you like it and which undertones work best on you...yadda yadda yadda
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Arielle Hi Annia. let me tell you this first: you are such a natural beauty, I bet you don´t even have to wear a lot of makeup to look good. that already) I totally agree!
This is my list:

E/s= Mac or Milani (it's cheaper)

L/g= Lancome Juicy tube (as Arielle wrote, I'd buy a light pink/peach colour)

L/s= Mac or Stila

Blush= Benefit

Latest posts

Back