New Year, New Me! Wanna join me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, i'm back dieting again coz i ate SO much over Christmas. Anyone else dieting & wanna join me on this thread to keep each other motivated? We can share our good & bad stories (hopefully there will be more good than bad!)

I'm with you on this. I need to get rid of my sweet tooth. I've found that the key is to cut back on your portions but not to restrick yourself too much. I've been on too strict of diets before and they don't work because you start craving so many things plus it's not good for you anyway.

Count me in too! All the Christmas goodies have caught up with me, went to put on a pair of jeans this morning and it was a no go. I am going to make myself stick to my walking routine, 4 miles a day, and start eating better. I agree with Reija, every strict diet I've ever tried has failed, when they tell me I have to cut out certain things completly, those will be the exact things I crave, I just need to get better with moderation, no grocery shopping when I am hungry either.

Me too!!

I've already gone back to the gym... doing lots of cardio - which was something I absolutly HATED doing... now, acutally I'm starting to like it. I have been switching up the routine to keep things different - treadmill, bike, elliptical etc... and going back and forth between them. I've also been doing salads for lunch or chicken or turkey - cutting out junk food... etc. I've switched from using white sugar to using "Sugar in the Raw" for its healthier properties, as well as using 'Silk' soy milk in my coffee and cereal. I am hoping that maybe this could be the first time in 13 years that I'll wear a bathing suit this summer! (Without shorts!!)

YAY, I'm so happy i'm not alone! I totally agree with what you all said though, i really do believe "everything in moderation" works.

In the past week, i've gone from having 7/8 cups of coffee a day to 2! I plan on drinking lots more water. I'm eating porridge every morning for my breakfast which keeps me full until lunch time. It's lunches & dinners that mess me up though. Although saying that, my dinners have been ok for the past week. I have some meat, chicken or fish with a vegetable (i've cut out potatoes coz i don't really like them anyway!)

Here's a tip i read the other day for all sweet toothed people!

"Keep your treat until the end of the day". Because if you have something sweet at lunch, you'll crave more sweet things a few hours later so then you'll be more likely to have another treat in the evening and in my case another, and another, and another!!

Girls, i'm gonna make this thread a sticky and let us all post in it as often as possible. I really wanna make this work for me, and for all of you too!

Looking forward to all the posts my fellow weight loss buddies!

See!? Who needs to pay $$$$ for a Weight Watchers modivation group !? LOL Welcome to MUT "Losers" club (weight losers that is! LOL)

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 See!? Who needs to pay $$$$ for a Weight Watchers modivation group !? LOL Welcome to MUT "Losers" club (weight losers that is! LOL)

LMAO! I saw the "MUT Losers Club" & was about to KILL you
icon_twisted.gif
but then i noticed the text in brackets after it! Just kidding with you girlie
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Sounds like you are on the right tract Laura! Keep up the good work! I've noticed the same thing about having sweet at lunch makes you crave it more. Actually it's like a cycle you can't break, the more sweets you eat the more you crave. I read it somewhere and it seems to be true with me. I'm really trying to cut back on my sweets. I've also noticed that by having a small lunch and having tea in the afternoon works for me to curb my appetite until dinner. I know I always have a heavier dinner and the only way I can do it is by cutting back at lunch.

Well, so far I've been sticking to a pretty good routine for a few days now, doing my walking and using free weights. Tonight for dinner I had a chicken breast, steamed asparagus and brown rice, I really love to eat meals like that but my hubby loves his meat and potatoes, I'm just going to have to cook my meals seperate from now on, I've noticed over the last few years that "Heavy" meals just make me feel sluggish anyways. My sweet tooth hasn't been kicking in at all, maybe my over indulgence over the Holidays cured it for a while
icon_lol.gif
. How is everyone else doing?

I'm still doing good too! I'm actually starting to build up some athletic stamina, and can stay on the cardio machines longer than before without gasping for air and feeling exhausted. So, I'm happy for that! I've also fell in love with my yogurts - they are so good! I eat Dannon Light n' Fit - any flavor is awesome! and they are good for a quick fat-free snack. Also, being they contain real fruits, it satisfys the sweet tooth a bit.... not like a big ol' hunk of chocolate
icon_twisted.gif
but it's close! LOL

You did very well with the dinner. Good Job! I didn't do so well, I had pizza for lunch at a kid's birthday party and then green beans and home cooked french fries for dinner. Not definitely my usual dinner but ended up being that for tonight. I need to see if I can use some free weights tonight before going to bed. I read somewhere that you don't need just cardio to lose weight, weight training alone is better than nothing.

I'm with you Laura. I'm starting the SBD this week & began buying a ton of vegetables, fruit & fish. Want to shed about 10-15 lbs & just become healthier overall.

If you need motivation, I'm here. Just need the same b/c I sometimes feel like a sloth.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) You did very well with the dinner. Good Job! I didn't do so well, I had pizza for lunch at a kid's birthday party and then green beans and home cooked french fries for dinner. Not definitely my usual dinner but ended up being that for tonight. I need to see if I can use some free weights tonight before going to bed. I read somewhere that you don't need just cardio to lose weight, weight training alone is better than nothing. I'm starting out my routine doing the majority of cardio - then every other gym visit - I'll do a body part (arms, legs, abs etc) and then cardio after to get things circulating. I'm just starting out again - and being I never really did cardio - I'm trying to add more of it so I can lose as well as tone. My boss has a personal trainer for years that she pays a LOT of $$ to, so I get tips from her (for free lol) I also have a Lateral thigh trainer that works really well that I do at home...- its cardio & strength training for the lower body in one compact machine. I would say it resembles a stepper, but it is slightly different, because instead of just stepping up & down, the pedals sort of go up & out... kind of like the movements you get from rollerblading. It has different resistant levels - so the lighter the resistance, the more cardio it is- the harder the resistance, the more it works on the strength training. It was about $99 at Sports Authority... you can check it out here too: http://www.as-seen-on-tv-top-product...gh-trainer.aspBe sure to check out the little infomercial so you can see how it works!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I thought of something girls.. KEEP A FOOD DIARY. I did this when i was on Weight Watchers a few years back & it really does work. Because if you do pig out some night, the next day you'll see exactly what you've eaten & you won't touch the bad food again! My diary was very basic, i had a column for:

Time

Description of food i'd eaten (example if it's a sandwich, i'd write the type of bread, fillings etc..)

Estimated Calories

At the end of each day i'd total my calorie intake!

Hope it works for ye too girls
biggrin.gif

Losing weight is like climbing Mount Everest. Okay, losing weight might not be quite as difficult as climbing Mount Everest, but each of these journeys requires its own kind of preparation. But just what do you need to put in your "backpack" for your weight loss journey?

Seven tools are all your need to achieve the healthy, fit and thinner body you want. Once you know what these tools are, the only question that remains is: will you use them in your life?

To implement any change, no matter how large or small, we need to have the desire to reach that destination. Without that desire, why would we bother to take the first step? To be successful in reaching your weight loss destination, you need to clearly define what "it" is that you are looking for - and, most importantly, why you want it. Then you must set about making your desires become reality. While it may seem that reaching your weight-loss goals is just as intimidating as reaching the peak of Mount Everest, fortunately it really isn't. Reaching your goals is as simple as beginning your weight-loss journey... and utilising these seven tools along the way.

Knowledge!

If you don’t have the nutritional know-how to eat healthily and lose weight, you are going to find yourself ill-equipped for the journey. If you don’t know your calorie requirements, how will you be sure you are eating the correct amount for your needs? If you don’t know which foods are good for your body and which foods are less healthy, how will you be able to make sound food choices?

Purpose!

You need a clear picture of where you are going. What do you want to look like when you have reached your target? How will it feel to be thinner and healthier? Simply saying, "I want to lose weight" just isn't going to cut it. You need to change your focus to one of, "I want to improve my health and here’s why…" The "why" needs to become so strong that it will help you stay on your weight loss journey through thick and thin. You must want to reach your destination and not let anything deter you - this is the stuff that willpower is made of! Just make your purpose so strong that it will see you through any obstacle that may come your way.

Motivation!

Simply having conviction is not enough. You need to add ironclad motivation to it for best results. The good news is that motivation comes from within and is derived from having a strong sense of purpose. When you become so passionate about improving your health, you also become incredibly motivated to take healthy actions time and time again. Nothing is going to get in the way of your success. You need to become determined that you will live life healthily. Nothing will then deter you!

Inspiration & Application

All dressed up and nowhere to go. That’s what it would be like to have knowledge, a strong purpose, motivation and inspiration - but to not follow through in applying them all! But you won't allow that to happen to you. After all, you are determined to succeed! You just need to take the actions necessary to succeed. From this day forward, you realise that you must bring more activity into your daily routine. You must make the action of planning healthy meals and stocking your kitchen with the best quality food available to you. The list of health-promoting actions could go on and on so make your own plan to see what actions you need to take in your own life.

Rewards

Reward yourself for reaching each small goal and allow yourself bigger rewards as you meet your milestones. Rewards could include a manicure for your first half stone, a massage for your first stone, a weekend at a health spa when you reach your target! Your rewards might be clothes, jewellery, tickets to a concert or football match or whatever makes you feel good. But break the habit of using food as your reward.

Attitude

It has often been said that nothing worth doing comes easily and weight loss is no exception. That said, it also doesn't mean that you can't have a great deal of fun and enjoyment along the way. Yes, it will take effort on your part, but the satisfaction of reaching your destination will make all your effort more than worth it!

Article from eDiets.co.uk

Embarking on a healthy eating plan is a perfect way to rejuvenate your body both inside and out! In today’s newsletter I am going to share an exciting tip that will actually help slim your waistline.

While we are on the topic of rejuvenating the body, there is no better time to think about putting our best face forward. One of the lucky benefits of healthy eating is a radiant glow to the complexion. While nothing can lift your spirits the way losing a few pounds can, Vitamin C Ester Amine Complex Face Lift will greatly increase the appearance of lift and tone in your face and jaw line!

August is the perfect time to enjoy plenty of chilled yoghurt (see below for the reason why) topped with delicious skin-saving blueberries. Combine this with daily use of the Amine Complex Face Lift, and come September your friends just might wonder how you really spent your summer holiday!

Yoghurt versus Obesity A daily dose of yoghurt is good for people of all ages. Yoghurt is also important for those wanting to lose weight. As a milk product, yoghurt is naturally rich in calcium. Research shows that calcium helps reduce weight gain. Even small changes in the calcium levels of fat cells can change signals within the cell that control the making and burning of fat.

The authors of a 2003 University of Tennessee study placed 34 obese people on a low-calorie diet. Sixteen of them were given 400-500mg of calcium in the form of a daily supplement. The other 18 people ate a yoghurt-rich diet higher in calcium (about 1,100mg per day).

After 12 weeks, both groups lost fat. The supplement-taking group had six pounds less fat, but the yoghurt group lost about 10 pounds of fat. And those who ate yoghurt discovered that their waists shrank by more than an inch and a half. In comparison, the supplement-taking subjects lost only about a quarter of an inch in waist size. Finally, a whopping 60% of the yoghurt eaters' weight loss was belly fat, while only 26% of the supplement group's loss was belly fat.

This is very exciting news as belly fat (which doctors call visceral or intra-abdominal fat) is linked to high cholesterol, high insulin, high triglycerides, high blood pressure and other problems. Visceral fat may also secrete more disease-linked inflammatory molecules than other types of fat.

The study also reported that in addition to helping the participants lose more weight, the group that ate yoghurt was about twice as effective at maintaining lean muscle mass. As the study director, Michael Zemel, PhD, stated in a news release, "This is a critical issue when dieting. You want to lose fat, not muscle. Muscle helps burn calories, but it is often compromised during weight loss."

I couldn’t agree more!

Always buy organic yoghurt and avoid yoghurt that contains thickeners and stabilisers. Also avoid yoghurt that contains added sugars or sweetened fruit, as these upset the delicate chemical balance that allow the cultures to thrive. Sugars also feed the growth on unwanted yeasts, so you’re better off without it!

Article by Dr Nicholas Perricon, taken from eDiets.co.uk

So, how is everybody doing? I'll be weighing myself tonight so i'll know if what i'm doing is working or not. Although, i wasn't trying my very hardest this week, i did do well since Monday! Here's hoping i've lost some
biggrin.gif

Oh this really bites, for the last 2 weeks I have been doing nothing but eating healthy, walking 4 miles, 5 days a week and working out after my walks, I don't use scales anymore to check my weight but instead go by how my clothes fit and how I feel, maybe I have lost a couple pounds but it is sure coming off slow, at my age the old metabolism isn't what it used to be thats for sure. To make things even worse, yesterday I smacked my bad knee getting out of my car and now it is swollen and sore, looks like I will have to take it easy with the walking for a few days and see how my knee does. Man, do I feel my age lately
icon_rolleyes.gif

That's a great rule not to use the scale! I'm used the scale less and less lately too and try to judge it based on my clothes....it seems to help because before I used to get so stressed about couple of pounds difference and I would just think about it more. Now I try to eat healty and not obsess about it and it seems to help. Sorry to hear about your knee. It's tough if something like that happens just when you get going with being more active. I need to get an excercise routine going..I need to do some serious firming. How did you do Laura with your weighing?

Originally Posted by HarleyMom Oh this really bites, for the last 2 weeks I have been doing nothing but eating healthy, walking 4 miles, 5 days a week and working out after my walks, I don't use scales anymore to check my weight but instead go by how my clothes fit and how I feel, maybe I have lost a couple pounds but it is sure coming off slow, at my age the old metabolism isn't what it used to be thats for sure. To make things even worse, yesterday I smacked my bad knee getting out of my car and now it is swollen and sore, looks like I will have to take it easy with the walking for a few days and see how my knee does. Man, do I feel my age lately
icon_rolleyes.gif

Aw tess, your poor knee.. I hate doing things like that. Hope it feels some what better now. Well done on all the great work! Keep it up
biggrin.gif

Reija, i never got to weight myself this week yet. I usually go to my aunts house because she has an electronic scales so i can see exactly what i weigh but she's been busy all this week. Might be able to visit on Saturday though so i'll let ye know how i do!

Latest posts

Back