New Yorkers- I need some help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sooo I won a free trip for 2 to New York City through mark (yay me!) I'll be taking my mom with me and we plan on doing a lot of sightseeing in the 3 days and 2 nights we have there and I want to know some good spots for food, bars and must-sees! I'd appreciate your recs, thanks!

Where's Jennifer? Solimar? They'll know some good spots! So should Miss Jeffrey and Leza... Jennycateyez (Jennifer) should too... I know nothing about NYC because I can't get my husband to go with me, and I refuse to drive further into it than Jennifer's house LOL!

I can reccomend a great italian place. Its in the theatre district (midtown). All of my friends go there when they're in the city. Might wanna make a reservation the day before I hear there is sometimes a little wait. It's called Carmines.... you won't leave hungry and without leftovers.

Carmine's - Family Style Italian

If you want a good stake koint let me know. I just have to get the name from my girlfriend.

Hmm, i went to NYC once and i'll tell you some things that girls that live in NY told me and some i experienced:

1- Don't spend your money and time climbing up onto the Empire State if it's winter - it's too cold and windy (as i read) or the Statue of Liberty - the ferry that goes to Staten Island is free/very cheap (don't remember right now because we didn't go there because it was too hot on that day and where my mom's friend used to work had a conference room with view to it) and it passes right beside the Statue - the trip to go there costs around 20/25 buck and everyone tells that it's not worthy
smile.gif

2 - Battery Park - it's very beautiful and neaby there's the Financial District - if you like to see buildings , there's a lot of beautiful ones . Plus going down (somewhere i don't quite remember) you get to the South Sea Port (there's a small mall there) and you can see the Brooklyn Bridge

3 - Central Park! Check out the area where is the homage to John Lennon.

4 - MoMA if you like art - it isn't ginourmous and overwhelming like the Metropolitan, and there's a lot of important and cool art exposed there (and try to fight the urge of touching the Starry Night painting - it has such a cool texture)

4- A place that i went and found that is cool is the Chelsea Piers - although we didn't go there at day, i've seen in many place that there is a sports area and etc.

5- Take a small trip to Chinatown, Little Italy (that nowadays is just MulberrySt.) and Soho.

Too many things to do, such a short time!

Hey Manda...if you want a good knock off bag i can tell you where to go for that too...lol

Thanks yo u guys! Yeah, there is so much to do and I have so little time, I knwo it will be a blast though!

This is where I was thinking of going:

-Amer. Museum of Nat. History (I love these kinds of museums, I'm not that into art so I'll prob skip MOMA).

-Central Park

-Rockefellar Center (Shopping ,dining)

-Times Square (I just HAVE to check it out)

-Thinking about the Statue of Liberty, I like the idea of taking the ferry by it. I don't really care about going in it. The ferry to the island is like $12, so we'll see.

I'll most likely be staying in a hotel near Avon headquarters in Midtown (6th) so I'd like to know some yummy food places and cool, but chill bars in that area.

Mmmm the Italian place sounds good now! Hehe

I'm still in shock that I actually won this trip, I was SOO not expecting to win! When they announced my name on a rep conference call I was like "OMG OMG...did they really say my name??!!"

Originally Posted by Jessica_Ann /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey Manda...if you want a good knock off bag i can tell you where to go for that too...lol Lol! Where?? haha

In chinatown on canal street. It's funny beacuse you go down there and they dont sell it in the open but when you're walking down the street a asian woman or man will whisper "Coach, Gucci, LV"..... i crack up. They take you to the back of the store and they have them hidden. If you want to go I will find out the best street.

Tourists generally like the Circleline down at Pier 83, by Battery Park, if you have any general idea of where that is, haha. It's a good time, you can go around the whole island, or part of it, and see a whole bunch of good stuff, like the statue of liberty, the colgate clock, etc. I honestly think the Circleline is well worth it.

...and yes, the South Street Seaport is nice. SoHo is alright.

Statue of Liberty is okay. Central Park is worth it as well, plus it has a zoo =P

You should have some Skeeter's burgers too! They are good!!

If you can get up to the Upper East Side, Blue Smoke (restaurant) is HIGHLY recommended by me.

Originally Posted by Manda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks yo u guys! Yeah, there is so much to do and I have so little time, I knwo it will be a blast though!
This is where I was thinking of going:

-Amer. Museum of Nat. History (I love these kinds of museums, I'm not that into art so I'll prob skip MOMA).

-Central Park

-Rockefellar Center (Shopping ,dining)

-Times Square (I just HAVE to check it out)

-Thinking about the Statue of Liberty, I like the idea of taking the ferry by it. I don't really care about going in it. The ferry to the island is like $12, so we'll see.

I'll most likely be staying in a hotel near Avon headquarters in Midtown (6th) so I'd like to know some yummy food places and cool, but chill bars in that area.

Mmmm the Italian place sounds good now! Hehe

I'm still in shock that I actually won this trip, I was SOO not expecting to win! When they announced my name on a rep conference call I was like "OMG OMG...did they really say my name??!!"

Lol! Where?? haha

Just beware of not losing the track of time on the Natural History Museum - actually i liked it a lot as well, but i didn't mention it because it's very big and there's so much stuff to see - if you're like me, you'll spend easily 5 to 6h there and there's so much to see in the city that you'll be 'wasting' precious time;

I ate on a place at 10th Avenue (Empire Burger if i'm not mistaken) and it was yummy
smile.gif

New York is a place where you don't have to eat ffast food if you don't want to because you surely can find options to eat everywhere

PS: times square is cool! Does the Toys'r'us store still exists? It's worth entering there, even if you're not a kid anymore - it's so cool
smile.gif

I don't know where it is, but you should really try to find the flagship Sephora store! I do know it's in NYC somewhere...

Other than that, you should try to catch a Broadway show. Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, The Little Mermaid......
smile.gif

Have Fun!!

Originally Posted by lia_matos /img/forum/go_quote.gif Does the Toys'r'us store still exists? FAO Schwartz you mean?

My little bro lived there for 2 years so I'll ask him! I would definately see The Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero and eat at John's pizzaria!

Are you going right away or closer to Thanksgiving or Christmas? If so... you must go to Rockefellar Center to see the tree and the skating rink.

I personally LOVE going to Fifth Ave. to shop, and FAO Schwarz... just for fun. I think everyone needs to see it.

Like you said.... Time Square and Central Park.

Jessie is dead on about Carmine's restaurant, and the fake bags in chinatown.

I always go to Little Italy and eat... I love Da Nicos, but the last meal I had there wasn't as good as usual. It's still a favorite of mine.

I LOVE the South Street Seaport to just sit and drink all day... but that's only during the summertime.

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Are you going right away or closer to Thanksgiving or Christmas? If so... you must go to Rockefellar Center to see the tree and the skating rink.
I personally LOVE going to Fifth Ave. to shop, and FAO Schwarz... just for fun. I think everyone needs to see it.

Like you said.... Time Square and Central Park.

Jessie is dead on about Carmine's restaurant, and the fake bags in chinatown.

I always go to Little Italy and eat... I love Da Nicos, but the last meal I had there wasn't as good as usual. It's still a favorite of mine.

I LOVE the South Street Seaport to just sit and drink all day... but that's only during the summertime.

dito.gif

I agree with Nicole on every place she stated. I love shopping at 5th ave and Soho is great for shopping too. If you're going to be at Times Sq, seeing a broadway show would be nice. Chinatown is great for name brand knockoffs (lol) and I love the italian food in Little Italy

The Sephora flagship store is at 34th st. Or if you're going to be around 67th and 3rd, you can visit me and Jen in that Sephora
moa.gif

places u def have to check out

1- times square

2-central park

3-ground zero

4-rockafella center (hopefully u go when they put the tree up.. its so beautiful)

i dont eat alot in the city .. my b/f takes me to this resturant called "tonys" it's a italian resturant dont remeber the address but will def ask him.. theres alot of places to eat so u wont have any trouble there. congrats on winning the trip! u must be so excited!

I havent been since 1999 before it all happened.I do want to go back someday.

Have fun

I have two places I always recommend:

John's of Bleecker St for REALLY good pizza. They're on Bleecker at Jones, about a block south of 7th. Their addy is 278 Bleecker St, for google maps/mapquest.

LiLac Chocolates for some really awesome chocolate. We ordered our wedding favors from them, that's how much I still love their stuff! They're at 8th and Jane.

Other than that, I say do as much walking as you can. When I took my husband there (back when he was my boyfriend) we walked all over the city so that he could see everything. Bettery Park is really pretty, Central park is a must-see too, but my favorite NYC moments happen when I just wander.

Latest posts

Back