newbie in need of help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there peeps, i'm pretty new here and haven't posted much, but i love make up, although i'm not too good with it, hehe. I need some advice and recco's, and i figured you peeps are the best to ask! :icon_love

Due to a great skincare routine, my skin is finally clearing up, and i want to change my make up to lighter, more natural stuff. I've found some eyeshadow i like (estee lauder pure colour in sandbox) and i'm planning to but some estee lauder XL mascara soon. I also found a great blush, the body shop cheek stain, very cheap and apparently, very like benetint!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

But i need some help with foundation and powders. I wanna get that glowy, natural look, preferably something i can mix with my foundation, (i use revlon colorstay, very heavy, but i like to mix it with highlighters to get adjustable coverage incase my skin gets a bit temperamental!) I don't like those highlighters that are glittery, i just want to look sort of glowy, but i also need powder as i hate my skin to feel at all oily! I have tried so far -

revlon skinlights lotion - a bit glittery and heavy and the perfume stung!

revlon skinlights loose powder - far too glittery and unnatural
icon_eek.gif

clinique all over lustre - far too glittery

body shop glow enhancer - no glitter (thankfully!) but unnoticeable
icon_sad.gif

estee lauder lucidity loose powder - too matte, no 'diffusing' at all!

I think i have maybe been looking at the wrong things
icon_redface.gif
and that highlighter is not what i'm after, but a pearly, illuminator type thing instead, so am considering -

estee lauder spotlight

estee lauder illuminations powder pallete, the pinky one!

mac strobe light

mac skin finishes

benefit moon/high beam

any thoughts? I am quite pale, but plan to get tanned soon
icon_cheesygrin.gif
, and have freckles and brown hair and eyes. So please someone help me! And please excuse my dumbness!
icon_redface.gif

mac skinifinishes are really nice and they can go on light or heavy depending upon your application. also a lot of ladies on here like mac hyper real foundation for the glow look.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha i really love Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector, i mix it with my foundations, its not greasy at all!

BECCA SSP

Pearl sounds like it'd be good for your colouring!

Hey Trisha, have you tried the Stila liquid luminizers yet? What do you think of them? I have been wanting benefit high beam for a looong time, but I heard these have a better consistency and finish...I think it comes in 3 colors, pink, yellow, and white, which one do you like best? I really want something to give a glowy sheen, not a glimmery look, do you think these do that? Thanks
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have heard a lot of people loving MAC Hyper Real, I was going to try and get a sample of it the next time I go to a MAC store or counter.

I have used a loose powder by Maybelline, I like it pretty well, it doesn't clog the pores so it won't cause breakouts. I have supremely tempermental skin too, it breaks out at the drop of a hat... I think it is called Shine Control loose powder, it seems to work pretty well, I have been using it for a long time.

I also got a sample of Stila illuminating Powder Foundation, and while it is not real FOUNDATION, it is a pressed powder and it seems to do a nice job, it isn't really shimmery as far as I can tell, so I don't really know where the "Illuminating" part comes in, but it is ok. I don't know if it is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic though, so beware.

I think the product you suggested by BENEFIT would be what you're looking for. I had a makeover by them not so long ago and they used it on my face to kind of highlight my cheekbones, it blends SO well, and looks gorgeous when the light hits it. I think that would totally be what you're looking for. Good luck & hope this helps!
biggrin.gif

~YourOneAndOnly

oh and the moon beam for your light complexion. Apparently it's used by kylie minogue & j-lo, not sure if that's true but hey!
icon_smile.gif

Welcome coconut_cutie. I am relatively new on the site as well. I know how u feel about lack of expertise in this field. The members on this site are certainly knowledgeable, sweet and encouraging. I continue to learn more each day as I become a bit braver and try out their tips and recs.

Originally Posted by Trisha they arent out here yet, but i have tried them, they do have a better consistency than BeneFit High Beam/Moon Beam
i would go for the pink if you are cooler toned and the yellow if you are warmer toned, and the white is just a great h/l for any skin, myself i prefer the yellow as its great mixed with undereye concealer too!

AOS Liquid mixes nicely with other liquid products and the bottle is huge, not sure i could ever finish one! LOL

Thanks, Trisha! I thinkI want the white one the most, but I am really liking how all of them look! Have you tried all the shades, and do you think there is a big enough difference between them to have a couple? I'll have to order one from sephora.com when they come back in stock!

Hey charmaine and phoenix461!
icon_smile.gif
thanx for the warm welcome!:icon_love My names Emma and i'm from Edinburgh in Scotland! Thanks for the reccomendation YourOneAndOnly, i think i will try out the moonbeam! The 'J-Lo glow' is what i'm aiming for, lol
icon_lol.gif

Latest posts

Back