Newbie on makeup!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 23 years old and I'm new to makeup!
I've never been much of a makeup person so I really need advice..

I have oily skin so I need a foundation that I can apply and doesn't go over the day.. (I have sephoras foundation and my sking still looks oily after applying it if not it wears out during the day) 
I just bought the estee lauder foundation which I love much better than sephoras. (But I was just wondering if you guys have use a better foundation for oily skin?)

Blush;
Lately I've wanted to buy a good pretty pink blush so that my cheeks can have a little more of color.
I've wanted to buy the victorias secret blush but I also wanted some recommendation since I don't know a tad bit about makeup.

and last but not least I've read that you apply a moisturizer before makeup? If so which one is one of the best?

Thank you!

Here is a tip for oily skin... Saw it one day and have been using it ever since... MOM <--- Milk of Magnesia works wonders on oily skin! I prefer Philips versus the store brand as it doesn't leave the skin chalky looking.

Spray or apply some to your face before make-up and let it dry, then apply your makeup. It keeps me pretty oil-free for at least 6 hours and most times depending on how much MOM I used even more than that. 

You want to use a moisturizer without oil and has SPF in it, you may want to try something that is made FOR oily skin if you already have issues with this. Allow it to absorb for at least 5-10 minutes before applying the MOM and then your makeup. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)    (or  just wait for absorption before applying makeup)

I use Maybelline's FIT Me foundation, & i LOVE IT! I have medium skin, not too dry, not too oily...& with this stuff, a little goes a long way. I top that off with a little powder, as well. The MOM works wonders though, that's for sure. My sister has really oily skin, & started that routine about 2 months ago, & besides helping with her oil, it makes her foundation sit well on her skin. No "caked on" effect, it doesnt look shiny, etc.

Milk of Magnesia? I'm sorry but that sounds like a laxative? lol
Is there a moisturizer named like that? Where can I buy it?

(Thank you for your recommendations!)

I've wanted to try the maybelline fit me, it seems great. I've also wanted to try revlons foundation since I love that brand.

Originally Posted by kittiesix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Milk of Magnesia? I'm sorry but that sounds like a laxative? lol

Is there a moisturizer named like that? Where can I buy it?

(Thank you for your recommendations!)

I've wanted to try the maybelline fit me, it seems great. I've also wanted to try revlons foundation since I love that brand.
Close. It's a laxatives & stool softeners product and found at drugstore and even grocery stores along with mass retailers like Target, ShopKo, Walmart.

Yep lol I was thinking the same thing and happened to read lots of women used it to control oil...and haven't swore by anything else since lol but if you are new tp makeup you will learn more and more as you go.

Originally Posted by kittiesix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, I'm 23 years old and I'm new to makeup!

I've never been much of a makeup person so I really need advice..

I have oily skin so I need a foundation that I can apply and doesn't go over the day.. (I have sephoras foundation and my sking still looks oily after applying it if not it wears out during the day) 

I just bought the estee lauder foundation which I love much better than sephoras. (But I was just wondering if you guys have use a better foundation for oily skin?)

Blush;

Lately I've wanted to buy a good pretty pink blush so that my cheeks can have a little more of color.

I've wanted to buy the victorias secret blush but I also wanted some recommendation since I don't know a tad bit about makeup.

and last but not least I've read that you apply a moisturizer before makeup? If so which one is one of the best?

Thank you!

You may want to look into Laura Mercier oil free foundation. Get a sample from sephora and see how it works for you, my skin isn't REALLY oily, but I find myself not having the shine problems I used to when I use the Laura Mercier stuff.

My current favorite blush is by cargo, and the color is tonga. I really love cargo as a brand, and their blushes are huge and amazing and last forever. They have sooo many colors of blush, I think they'd definitely have a color you would like.

Yes, moisturizer comes before make up. Finding the best moisturizer for your skin can take a lot of time, but the good news is samples of moisturizer are easy to come by. I really like philosophy, but it is pretty pricey, and I know it doesn't work for everyone.

Oh wow! Yes, I googled it and that was the bottle that appeared to me.
So do I apply that to my face?? :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Sorry, I'm still surprised, haha.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Close. It's a laxatives & stool softeners product and found at drugstore and even grocery stores along with mass retailers like Target, ShopKo, Walmart.

Wow thank you!
I googled the cargo makeups and I love there blushes!
I know a skin moisturizer will be hard to find, but I just wanted recommendations because I really had no idea.
I've seen a few youtube makeup videos and they all applied moisturizer

And I know I need good brushes too!
But for now I'm just looking at them, I just have an estee lauder brush but I loved the shu uemura, kind of pricey though.

Back