Not removing makeup = acne?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
do you think that a makeup remover is essential to skincare? i use cetaphil gentle face wash & started thinking that maybe the fact that it isn't especially for makeup removing that perhaps by not taking my makeup off completely it could be the cause of lingering pimples... i just order MAC cleanse of oil & i'm hoping i will be at the end of my skincare search!! i really like cetaphil because it is gentle and moiturizing but at night i just feel like i should scrub my face a little to get it more clean. i used DHC's oil but it made my skin dry [it did take my makeup off very well tho!!]. any thoughts?

My dermatologist had a ton of rules for me to follow to prevent acne (including what kinds of mu I could wear, hair care products, etc., see my notepad for more details) but never mentioned using a mu remover. He told me to cleanse with Cetaphil bar soap, or to use Dove bar soap if I wanted something more moisturizing, and to use a Buf Puf sponge to exfoliate as I cleaned. But that's all he ever said about removing mu!

Same here, I use Cetaphil bar soap and once a week in the shower I will scrub my face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub. Even though I'm 43, I still get occasional pimples and I have blackheads on my chin and nose, so scrubbing is a must for me.

Once in a while I will get a deep cleansing facial when I can afford to and afterwards, my chin looks almost poreless! I wish I could go mroe often.

cetaphil is one of the best cleansers at cutting through the dirt and makeup on your skin. i don't think that adding a makeup remover will improve your results enough to justify the additional expense. just my opinion though. good luck!

Originally Posted by whoaitschell do you think that a makeup remover is essential to skincare? i use cetaphil gentle face wash & started thinking that maybe the fact that it isn't especially for makeup removing that perhaps by not taking my makeup off completely it could be the cause of lingering pimples... i just order MAC cleanse of oil & i'm hoping i will be at the end of my skincare search!! i really like cetaphil because it is gentle and moiturizing but at night i just feel like i should scrub my face a little to get it more clean. i used DHC's oil but it made my skin dry [it did take my makeup off very well tho!!]. any thoughts?

i use eye makeup remover. once i took a shower with my makeup and washed my face, but when i was done with the shower, i still had on eye makeup. i dunno. i take off my face makeup with wipes so that i get more cleansing going on when i wash my face. at least that's what i tell myself. lol

My regime is this:

I remove mascara and eye makeup with Johnson & Johnson baby oil on a cotton pad (I buy the roll of cotton rounds at Duane Reade). After doing that, I wash my face with Cetaphil. It all comes off nicely and the baby oil moisturizes my eye area.

I've noticed that if the cleanser I'm using doesn't remove all the makeup or if I'm too tired and don't use the cleanser before going to bed I get pimples and blackheads right away. Also cleanser that make my skin too clean (stripped) causes me to get breakouts. It's hard to find a good products for my skin since it's so sensitive to changes in the routine and products.

claps.gif
I know this is some what off topic, but I too am a victim of acne. I tried everything, from over the counter products to going broke from visiting dermatologists. Nothing worked. I recently have been introduced by my pharmacist to the Arbonne Clear Advantage Ance System. I tried it and it works great. I cleared my face up within the first week. Huge pimples reduced in size and small ones disappeared. I would recommend anyone with acne to try it. email me for more info.

Welcome to MakeUpTalk liliangelina19! I'm Laura from Ireland. If you need help with anything on this site just shout
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by liliangelina19 Thank You Laura and nice to meet you. Welcome to MUT!

I bought my daughter the new stuff that is supposed to be exactly like Proactive. It's called "Acne Free" (I think) it's only $15.00 for the whole kit and it works like a charm.

Originally Posted by Marisol Welcome to MUT!

If you wear any type of foundation/concealer/blush, ect it is absolutely essential to use a make-up remover on your entire face and then go about your face washing routine.

If you want to see why simply don't use a make-up remover and wash your face as you regularly do, then go over your face with a gentle toner or astringent and you will see a ton of make-up and dirt on the cotton ball. Make-up is very heavy on the skin a simple washing isn't enough to get most make-up off.

If you wear a lot of make-up on a daily basis, I use a make-up remover(Almay make-up remover pads), then I wash my face with a natural facial soap with tea tree oil, goat milk, emu oil, and dead sea minerals, and then I use an all natural toner to make sure I have it all off my skin..it normally takes me all three of these to finally get the make-up and dirt off.

If I don't wear make-up then I simply just use the Facial soap.

Originally Posted by whoaitschell do you think that a makeup remover is essential to skincare? i use cetaphil gentle face wash & started thinking that maybe the fact that it isn't especially for makeup removing that perhaps by not taking my makeup off completely it could be the cause of lingering pimples... i just order MAC cleanse of oil & i'm hoping i will be at the end of my skincare search!! i really like cetaphil because it is gentle and moiturizing but at night i just feel like i should scrub my face a little to get it more clean. i used DHC's oil but it made my skin dry [it did take my makeup off very well tho!!]. any thoughts?

that is exactly what i am thinking! i want to cleanse my skin [not remove my makeup] with my cleanser. it feels so much cleaner & i do not mind an extra step. i can't wait till my mac cleanse off oil arrives...

I personally think that daily facial clothes are the best for removing make up. I use the L'Oreal ones but I think Olay and other companies make them. After I use that I always use a toner to get the residual make up.

OMG, I rave about Cleanse Off Oil all the time on this board, lol! It's my favorite makeup remover, because it takes off all my heavy MAC work makeup
smile.gif
-- foundation, liner, mascara, waterproof/long lasting products, everything! It doesn't irritate my skin or my sensitive eyes. The best way to use it is to gently massage the oil on your dry face and THEN rinse.

Let us know how you like it!

I don't think makeup removers are necessary. I only use cetaphil. Just massage your face a little longer till you feel that you are getting all the gunk off your skin and then rinse really well. If you wear lots of makeup, then do it twice. All those extra makeup removers strip away your natural p.h. balance and moisture which is essential to healthy skin. Dry, overly clean skin is another way to get worse acne. There must be a reason why dermatologists recommend Cetaphil.
icon_smile.gif

The majority of make-up removers shouldn't strip your skin of moisture at all, in fact most make-up removers use an oil base. You can also use baby oil as my mom always does. If you're not sure wether you should use a make-up remover, just do my test. Wash your face as you normally do and then use a cotton ball and gentle toner and see how much make-up is still left on your skin. Just rubbing your skin with your fingers is definitly not enough to get make-up off as it is heavy on your skin. Just think of it as having an extra layer on your skin, most face soaps are not made to remove make-up, they're made to remove daily dirt and oil build up, so you need something extra to get the heavy make-up off. If you have even slight acne prone skin this is important or else all that extra make-up that you saw on your cotton ball is clogging your pores all night until you wake up, wash you face, and then add more make-up.

The face wash cloths are good too although you might need to use 2 or do a quick regular face wash after.

Another thing you can do is use a microfiber face cloth, they are great for grabbing make-up and dirt that regular face washing can't get. The only down fall is that you get all the make-up trapped on your cloth, so I just use the make-up remover pads because I don't want to ruin my cloth.

Originally Posted by gamaki I don't think makeup removers are necessary. I only use cetaphil. Just massage your face a little longer till you feel that you are getting all the gunk off your skin and then rinse really well. If you wear lots of makeup, then do it twice. All those extra makeup removers strip away your natural p.h. balance and moisture which is essential to healthy skin. Dry, overly clean skin is another way to get worse acne. There must be a reason why dermatologists recommend Cetaphil.
icon_smile.gif

I wash my face twice at night. Once to get my makeup off and and the second time to actually cleanse it. Then I swipe a cotton ball with toner over it. Since i've switched to a good glycolic cleanser, it's made a world of difference in my acne prone skin. Well, that and the microdermabrasion.

well, whatever works for you, is what you should do. If it aint broke, don't fix it is what I say!..LOL

I just know for a fact that my skin has never looked better since I stopped using too many products. In my opinion, the doctors know what they are talking about, so that is what I do. Simple is best for me. It gets all my makeup off, no problems.

Yeah alot of makeup removers are oil based but some have other ingredients in them as well as oil that can irritate your skin. It all depends on which one you use I guess.

Latest posts

Back