Novice Skin Care Help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this whole area. I'm trying to make my skin look softer and smoother. I have started using a Neutrogena cleanser and moisturizer daily. Any other tips? I promise to limit the newbie questions to one every few days.

Try out an exfoliating scrub. I really like the anti-stress acne scrub by Nuetrogena. It has a salycylic acid in it that treats any breakouts and helps unclog pores. I use mine a few times a week.

I second the exfoliating! I like St. Ives Apricot Scrubs. They're cheap and come in several formulas depending on your skin type. Microdermabrasion once or twice a week might be a good idea also.

Yeah, scrubs really work. I use Clinique 7-day scrub...or you can try an asprin and honey mask. You mix 4-6 uncoated asprin from Walgreens/Target with a little bit of water and honey to make a paste. Don't use too much water, just enough to melt the asprin. Leave it on your skin for 10 minutes and while you're rinsing off, GENTLY exfoliate your skin.

Wow thanks for some great advice. Those not only sound like great ideas, they don't sound at all pricey. My skin is definitely a bit on the dry side.

Ditto to the exfoliator. Twice a week should be okay.

A moisturising mask might also help as well
smile.gif

I agree with the Aspirin mask! I've been using it and loving it for years (I just use plain, generic aspirin/water).

Great, I will definitely try that. I'm kind of shocked to see this is frugal as well as helpful.

cleanse, tone, moisturize.

exfoliating is also important, it takes off all the dead cells.

i also like to, once a week, do a mask. i go for a cheap and effective one : just clay !
smile.gif
avoid green clay as it is harsh and more recommended for oily skins, try pink or white clays. they're more gentle. i just mix a tablespoon of clay with some water, apply and take it off after 10-15 minutes. you can also add some essential oils if you feel like it.

and if your skin's really dry, La Roche Posay has made individual masks (sold by two doses) in the hydraphase range. it is more for dehydrated than dry skins, but if your face really need moisture, go for it. each dose contains enough for your face and neck, and all you have to do is wait for 10 minutes, then take off some excess that hasn't been absorbed by the skin. they're also pretty cheap, 3-4$.

i swear by my toner and exfoliant. i use the same product daily for both, stridex pads for sensitive skin. they contain salicylic acid which helps because i'm prone to breakouts. they also help to get rid of any lingering makeup and cleanser after i've washed my face.

Exfoliating is a must for me. However, the Apricot Scrub as mentioned above is extremely harsh on your skin because the walnut that is used to exfoliate your skin is not perfectly round, and it can damage your skin and cause problems for people who are acne prone especially. Sugar and baking soda are awesome and cheaper alternatives.

Oh, and moisturizer with SPF is just a smart idea. It helps mattify your skin if it has silica, and if not, it provides your skin with hydration and sun protection.

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Exfoliating is a must for me. However, the Apricot Scrub as mentioned above is extremely harsh on your skin because the walnut that is used to exfoliate your skin is not perfectly round, and it can damage your skin and cause problems for people who are acne prone especially. Sugar and baking soda are awesome and cheaper alternatives.
Oh, and moisturizer with SPF is just a smart idea. It helps mattify your skin if it has silica, and if not, it provides your skin with hydration and sun protection.

I agree that St Ives Apricot Scrub can be pretty harsh! I remember when I was a teenager and didnt know any better, I rubbed my skin raw with that stuff lol. I really thought I was doing something good
rotfl.gif

The oil-cleansing method will really help your dry skin. I don't even need moisturizer afterwards.

Latest posts

Back