Now do you sharpen the new NYX JEPs?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi dolls!

I recently received an order of NYX products and it contained the jumbo eye pencils in new casing. I noticed that the case is plastic as opposed to wood like my other JEPs. I tried twisting the thing up but it won't go up. How the heck do I sharpen these things? Its completely plastic so a JEP sharpen won't work.

I have them too, I melt them down into a pot, BUT you CAN sharpen then with a pencil sharpener, just make sure the sharpener is really sharp, it'll do the job(especially since you don't have to be too precise with the application of them).

you know I thought I was a goof because I couldn't figure out how to get the product out, because I thought it was plastic too.  I twisted the bottom until the bottom fell out, and realized it's just literally a cap at the end of the pen.  Finally somebody told me just to use a fat sharpener, and it works just fine.  It's actually still made of wood, not plastic.  I'm not sure why it looks/feels that way.

I hate plastic - one of my other jumbo pencils from another line is plastic and a PITA. One of the nice things about NYX Cosmetics being our sponsor here at MUT is that we know Toni and the rest of her staff so we can pass along the comments directly to her that the plastic casing makes it more difficult to sharpen the product and see what they recommend.

Good to know! Thanks!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hate plastic - one of my other jumbo pencils from another line is plastic and a PITA. One of the nice things about NYX Cosmetics being our sponsor here at MUT is that we know Toni and the rest of her staff so we can pass along the comments directly to her that the plastic casing makes it more difficult to sharpen the product and see what they recommend.

now I'm 99% sure it's still wood, but I'll send an e-mail over just to be sure LOL

I need to follow up with the new Glam line and curved eyeliners that they talked to us about anyway.

Awesome! I happened to have sent them an email just a bit ago. I'd love to know more about the new Glam line!

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

now I'm 99% sure it's still wood, but I'll send an e-mail over just to be sure LOL

I need to follow up with the new Glam line and curved eyeliners that they talked to us about anyway.

Ahaha I was wondering the same thing too when I first bought them! I thought I was dumb or something for not being able to figure out how to use it. I kept twisting at the bottom expecting it to go up.... Nice to know they're made of wood. I haven't had a need to sharpen it but hopefully a regular sharpener will work haha.

Originally Posted by nkjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ahaha I was wondering the same thing too when I first bought them! I thought I was dumb or something for not being able to figure out how to use it. I kept twisting at the bottom expecting it to go up.... Nice to know they're made of wood. I haven't had a need to sharpen it but hopefully a regular sharpener will work haha.
They don't fit into the normal pencil sized sharpeners, but if you have one of those sharpeners that has the "fat" size in it, you should do fine. Mine worked out easy enough in both of the fat sharpeners I have. lol yeah, you should have seen me when the bottom popped off, I was kind of like "oh no I broke it! ... wait a second...there's nothing in here besides the bottom the pencil! doh"

NYX makes a sharpener to use with their jumbo pencils but at Sally's Beauty Supply they also have one that fits jumbo pencils and it's only 99 cents. One of the things I've done with my jumbo pencils from Wet 'n' Wild was to remove the opposite end of the pencil and use a ball point pen to push it out into a plastic container then break it up into the jar then finally use a hair dryer to melt it. Same thing with the NYX Jumbo pencils but I haven't done that to mine.

It's plastic not wood around the rim like my other, older JEPs so I definitely can't sharpen it... I don't know... I'll update when I hear back from NYX.

I was trying to find the NYX one at Ulta, but the SA recommended this one instead the big hole has a removable part, so you can sharpen even bigger pencils if need be. Even though it is plastic, it does sharpen. I think its a bit strange they didn't make it a twist up or even make it out of something not plastic. 

I have to agree that it seems with the casing being plastic it would better if it was a twistable and while the plastic sharpens it does dull the blade of the sharpener faster.

from NYX:

[SIZE=10pt]As far as the Jumbo Eye Pencils, nothing has been changed with the packaging, except for adding a casing around it for protection. The process of accessing more product is the same, which is to simply sharpen the product.[/SIZE]

My response from them was pretty much the same thing. I guess u can sharpen these things... weird. I agree, they should twist up/self sharpen. Would make it some much easier.

Well, that determines I won't buy 'em. If it's plastic, I expect it to be self-sharpening, don't like killing sharpeners w/plastic.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, that determines I won't buy 'em. If it's plastic, I expect it to be self-sharpening, don't like killing sharpeners w/plastic.
The JEP's I have look/feel like wood, and they said they didn't change anything besides add a protective coating (probably at the top which is why it's now white)

I doubt it's plastic.  Shave it once and it'll probably be regular wood.  If you're still unsure, pull off the cap that we all keep trying to twist lol.  It's unfinished underneath so you can tell it's wood.

Eh... maybe if I catch 'em on sale. The wondrous thing about the makeup world these days is that it IS easy to find other products, right? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Best time to get NYX is when ULTA has them on sale B1G1 40% or 50% off and use a $3.50 off $10 or $5 off $15 coupon.

Latest posts

Back