Nylons, pantyhose, whatever you call them

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all, I have a rather boyish figure, according to sizing charts I have a size 8 waist but only size 2 hips! So lately, the smallest nylon sizes (usually called size A) have been way too tight in the waist, so I've been buying size B even though the chart on the package says I still need to gain 10 or 20 pounds before I can wear a size B. The size B's usually fit fine in the legs and hips, but the waistband is still too tight! It's quite uncomfortable and feels like I have a big rubber band around my stomach! Plus, you can see a noticeable "dent" or tummy roll through most of my clothes. (My body stores all of its extra fat in my stomach instead of my hips or thighs -- whenever I buy something with an elastic waist I have to get a medium to avoid tummy rolls, even though I normally wear size 2 or 4 pants.) Control top nylons don't seem to help -- they're still tight and I still get tummy rolls above and below the waistband
frown.gif

I really don't want to wear those crazy support pieces, like underwear that comes up to your boobs that's supposed to flatten your tummy, etc. So can anyone recommend a brand of nylons that doesn't have a really tight waist in proportion to the leg and hip size? Or is that just wishful thinking? Thanks!

maybe try thigh highs or something like that. or be sexay and wear them witha garter belt
wink.gif
lol

I second Liz....thigh highs seem to be the best way to go. Fortunately, I haven't had to wear pantyhose anytime in the past 5 years (and don't plan to if I can help it). I am similar figure. Other thoughts, depending on how often you wear hosiery and the occassion might be the Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs. I have only tested it, but from the little I've seen as well as what I've heard, it's actually pretty good.

HTH

Ditto with the thigh highs. If you don't want the control top factor, why bother with the pantyhose at all? I can't even remember the last time I wore pantyhose either.

I really do not like pantyhose, but do like the thigh-highs. As for a recommendation for hose, maybe you can go and check out the department store, I am sure since the last time I purchased hose, they have come light years in styles and types.

Good idea, I might try the thigh-highs ... I haven't been wearing nylons much anymore since I can get away with bare legs for church, but I will definitely need some to wear with my suit for my upcoming job interviews, and possibly for the office depending on the dress code... thanks for the idea!
smile.gif

Yeah I have an impossible time fitting into pantyhose and tights, so I only wear thigh highs with a garter belt. It makes me feel really sexy underneath my conservative clothes, and nobody knows that I'm wearing them rather than pantyhose.

hehe, I'm feeling silly that I never thought to wear thigh-highs since everyone else seems to be wearing them! Next time I'm at Walmart or the mall I'll have to pick some up
wink.gif

Hubby's always said that he thought garter belts looked silly, but I wonder if he'd change his mind if I actually wore one ....
wink.gif

I'm not a big fan of tights so I always wear hold up stockings and get them a size bigger than I need so that they go all the way up.

I think pantyhose and stockings are the "anti-Christ" -
icon_evil.gif
so I've given up wearing them and now I hardly wear skirts or dresses.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

But one thing I have found through trials & tribulations over the years is that cheap pantyhose fits like cheap pantyhose. I swear I think it's a vendetta against women by those who make pantyhose. Think about it. One would hate to pay $20.00 on a high quality pair of hose because they end up ripping anyway. But, buy a drug store brand and they fit you (well ME anyway) like a my head is stuck in a vise! Its a conspiracy!
icon_evil.gif
icon_twisted.gif

Boycott pantyhose!!!
claps.gif

Sorry, I'm no help!
icon_redface.gif

lol, that's ok, I understand your frustrations!

Maybe I will end up with a job where I'll never need to wear skirts so I can boycott them too
wink.gif
In some companies, the computer programmers can get away with slightly more casual clothes, after all! Surely I can wear nice slacks most days
wink.gif

I just thought of this....Some people I know wear pantyhose under pants.
icon_eek.gif

Can someone tell me WHY ? If its to avoid pantylines, well, there's special underwear for that.

You know some people would find this embarrassing but I'm going to suggest it anyway because the only experience I've had with thigh highs (very limited and very long ago) was not good. How about Maternity hose? My mom wears them all the time and believe me she is not pg. She wears them because she is much slimmer in the hips and thighs then the stomach. She has an alwful time finding pants to fit as well because they are all really baggy in the butt and legs if they are to fit comfortably at the waist. Also most maternity hose are good support. Someone I work with complained one day about the tightness in the tummy and I told her to try the maternity hose and she is thrilled with them. Gets them at Sears, says they hold up longer and feel much better. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Amethyst I just thought of this....Some people I know wear pantyhose under pants.
icon_eek.gif

Can someone tell me WHY ? If its to avoid pantylines, well, there's special underwear for that.

some people wear pantyhose under pants because they have problems with circulation in their legs. my poor grandma has had to wear them for years and years and she just turned 70. had problems with varicose veins since her 20's...thank God I didn't inherit that problem!

so people are just stuck in the 80's though i think. and i know the 80's are supposed to be back and all, but anything we all thought was ugly 2 years ago that we now decide we like for the sake of kitsch, i'm going to avoid. i remember my mom wearing pleated khakis with nude pantyhose and the typical 80's tan weave shoe.

i wear a lot of tights. my boyfriend doesn't like them, but when i was in florence, i found this really amazing hoseiry store and stocked up on some. thigh highs seem like the way to go. does anyone have a link to a good hosiery site or know any good stores that have a lot of thigh highs? maybe nordstrom in the states? i bet the maternity tights could work out for you. they have come out with so many more fashion conscious designs; i'm sure that extends to tights. let us know how it works out for you!

I bought two different brands of thigh-highs today, since my height/weight didn't really fit in any of the sizes, so I'll see which one fits best. I'll try out a pair this Sunday for church and see what happens
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back