Odd Situation & Makeup Advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a little bit of an odd situation -- I'm blind in one eye, so it is difficult for me to put on eye makeup, especially liner. Which brings me to my next point, which is better; liquid or soft eyeliner (either the eye pencil, or the kind that you can twist up and down, I forgot the name)?

So, does anyone have any advice on how I can apply eye makeup to my good eye?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by disjointed /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey everyone! I have a little bit of an odd situation -- I'm blind in one eye, so it is difficult for me to put on eye makeup, especially liner. Which brings me to my next point, which is better; liquid or soft eyeliner (either the eye pencil, or the kind that you can twist up and down, I forgot the name)?
So, does anyone have any advice on how I can apply eye makeup to my good eye?

Thanks!

Hi disjointed! I was wondering what your wearing on your lips in your avatar? Its a great color! Thanks.

IMO pencil would work a little bit better. For me it's easier to apply and easily fixed if you mess up. Plus you can smudge the line. I would save the liquid liner for night time.

ditto. it's usually easier to use than liquid, and you can keep liquid for nights out as it makes your eyes pop more.

Hi. To answer your question, I would agree with the other girls and say that pencil is best. You'd do better with pencils and just curious, but how'd you become blind in one eye?. Does it affect your everyday life? (if it isn't too personal)

Hope the advice helps hun!
smile.gif

I would also say a pencil. The liquid eyeliners create a pretty precise line.

ditto on pencil, you get the most control, it's not as messy and if you make a mistake, it won't ruin your whole eye look to fix it!
smile.gif

I know what you mean, I wear glasses and my left eye is pretty bad (not blind though) so I don't wear eyeshadow because with my right eye closed I don't see a lot. I also can't really use liquid eyeliner because I have to close my eye to apply it neatly.

I can use pencil eyeliner though, because I find that I don't have to close my eye completely to apply that, so I can still see trough my right eye. I hope this helps
smile.gif

I find the liquid ones really messy too, and they dont smudge in like id like them to i think they are too harsh for me personally.

Definitely go with a soft pencil that you can blend. That way the line doesn't have to be perfect.

Originally Posted by proudmommy2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi disjointed! I was wondering what your wearing on your lips in your avatar? Its a great color! Thanks. I'm not wearing any makeup in that picture (I just started wearing makeup, and I don't wear it everyday). Thank you so much though! I'm flattered
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BeautifullyMADE /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi. To answer your question, I would agree with the other girls and say that pencil is best. You'd do better with pencils and just curious, but how'd you become blind in one eye?. Does it affect your everyday life? (if it isn't too personal)
Hope the advice helps hun!
smile.gif

It's not personal at all
smile.gif
What I have is called a lazy eye, or amblyopia. A lot of people believe that lazy eye is when your eye turns, but it's actually when your brain doesn't acknowledge the images your eye sees, and basically 'shuts off' the 'connection' to your eye from your brain. They tried to correct the problem when I was about 3, by putting an eyepatch on my good eye, but I always pulled it off, and it didn't work. It doesn't really affect me in everyday life, because I'm used to it, so I've always had to deal with seeing out of one eye!
smile.gif

Also, I was wondering if you're all talking about (and please forgive me, because I have NO idea what to call these) the kind of eye pencil that you can sharpen, or the soft kind that you can twist up and down? Which is better? Thanks!

disjointed - Are you serious? You are beautiful! Your lips are so pigmented I'm so jealous, I wish I looked like that with no makeup on!

Originally Posted by disjointed /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm not wearing any makeup in that picture (I just started wearing makeup, and I don't wear it everyday). Thank you so much though! I'm flattered
smile.gif

It's not personal at all
smile.gif
What I have is called a lazy eye, or amblyopia. A lot of people believe that lazy eye is when your eye turns, but it's actually when your brain doesn't acknowledge the images your eye sees, and basically 'shuts off' the 'connection' to your eye from your brain. They tried to correct the problem when I was about 3, by putting an eyepatch on my good eye, but I always pulled it off, and it didn't work. It doesn't really affect me in everyday life, because I'm used to it, so I've always had to deal with seeing out of one eye!
smile.gif

Also, I was wondering if you're all talking about (and please forgive me, because I have NO idea what to call these) the kind of eye pencil that you can sharpen, or the soft kind that you can twist up and down? Which is better? Thanks!

pencil if definitly better, but to answer your other question.. the twisty kind is called a retractable liner
smile.gif
just as good as any reg. pencil, but you don't need to sharpen.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Definitely go with a soft pencil that you can blend. That way the line doesn't have to be perfect. i agree with this. you can always learn to apply your liner with your eye open like i did. i prefer to do it with a closed eye but i can do it either way and in your situation i think this will work for you
smile.gif
good luck!

Originally Posted by proudmommy2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif disjointed - Are you serious? You are beautiful! Your lips are so pigmented I'm so jealous, I wish I looked like that with no makeup on! Wow, thanks so much! That's really sweet of you
smile.gif

Hi,

When I do wear makeup, I have to use a 10x mirror (there are 14x or 15x magnifications). Definitely use the pencil which can be softened or eyeshadow powder.

personally the way that i apply eyeliner is by tightlining (search it if you don't know what it means.. we have plenty of good threads on it). when i tightline i don't close my eye so perhaps that would work for you?

tightlining is a lot more natural than normal eyeliner so if you're looking for a more dramatic look it probably won't work sorry :[

I agree, pencil liner is the way to go. I find that the retractable ones are usually softer, so easier to use. Or, you could always use a eyeshadow to line if you wanted to.

It's funny you should ask that (not ha-ha funny), because I have astigmatism in my L eye...It's not as severe as being totally blind, but, like you I cannot really see to put on liner...it's all blurry...pretty much useless.

I must say it's taken me a while, but I have learned to use liquid and gel liners pretty well...I do have an easier time with pencil, but I can rock MAC Fluidlines like I have two good eyes
wink.gif

First thing; line your 'good' eye first (the eye you can see with); that way you'll get that over with, and you can 'match' how the liner is...because if you don't line the good eye first, you'll have a difficult time matching the eyes up. Then, start small...small, slow, deliberate strokes. If you are using liquid or gel liner, it may help to go over it lightly with a pencil first...then just 'copy' the strokes.

I must say, once you get the hang of it, I know Fluidlines are simple to use...they can be daunting at first; especially for people like us who can't see what they're doing with one eye!!! But, seriously...try them...I find the MAC #212 brush works better/more easily than the #266 or #209/211 (they are all good, but the #212 is better, IMO). With the #212 you kind of just 'push' the brush along your lashline, so it's really easy!

If you are looking for a great pencil, try Benefit's Bad Gal kohl pencil...it's BY FAR the best black pencil I've EVER used!!! On the plus side, it's large, so you won't have trouble using it.

Hope some of that helps!!!

Latest posts

Back