Official Rosacea Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried reading through everything here and hopefully I didn't miss anything. I have been developing a problem which i think is maybe Rosacea but I am not sure. I am scheduling an appt with Dermatologist to confirm. But in the meantime (that will take some time) I wanted to inquire here. I have been getting this mostly on my nose but sometimes near the under part of the eyes. It starts like a blind pimple and while I am being careful not to put any pressure on it , it will eventually come to a head and maybe even seep a little. Sorry this is a little gross. What troubles me is underneath it is like there are 2 or 3 closely located pimples (papules?) and it persists for like a week or so. Sometimes after it goes it leaves a small indentation in the skin. Very unsightly. Does this sound familiar to anyone? thanks in advance

I have found over the years that my rosacea and excema both flare up when I eat sugar, garlic, sulfite foods, preservatives, soy, wheat, wine, strawberries and non organic vegetables. Blue Sage Naturals "Steves Stuff" is the only product that controls the intense itching of the rosacea on my cheeks and the excema that is on my eyelids.

Bilostoli....when I used a cream with Niacin as the main ingredient it was an immediate bad reaction. Now I just read this: Another derivative of niacin, niacinamide, also known as nicotinamide can also be used as a treatment for arthritis by adding with cartilage production as well as an anit-flammatory treatment in acne and rosacea.

Meaning it's not Niacin...it's made from it. There is a difference.

BUT .. then I just read this as well...‘Niacin flush’ that is caused by B3 (Niacin) and is believed to exacerbate Rosacea.

Then.. someone else mentioned sea buckthorn. Here is an article about using it as well. seabuckthorn.com/rosacea ROSACEA AND SEABUCKTHORN CAUSE AND EFFECT

I know my face has red splotches on my forehead and sides of my cheeks, chin, and sometimes my eye lid with have a say in this too.

It's been interersting to read all the different things people have used.

I think I will check out the Pepto one as I have heard of that calming skin before and it's inexpensive for a test run. The sea buckthorn as well. Apparently it comes in soap and other ways. I looked for it on walgreens and cvs online and it didnt show up except as an ingredient in other products. I checked out those products ingredients and ....it says it has sea buckthorn in it, but I didn't see it up top of the list. Will go hunting the health food store instead.

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been getting a blotchy rash that started on my face and spread to my neck when I would get very emotional about something,then after about a half hour it will go away. I thought it was rosacea because it stings and has alot of the signs. My dermatologist says its not rosacea, but I don't know what else it could be. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Originally Posted by Sugrnspice /img/forum/go_quote.gif Bilostoli....when I used a cream with Niacin as the main ingredient it was an immediate bad reaction. Now I just read this: Another derivative of niacin, niacinamide, also known as nicotinamide can also be used as a treatment for arthritis by adding with cartilage production as well as an anit-flammatory treatment in acne and rosacea. Meaning it's not Niacin...it's made from it. There is a difference.

BUT .. then I just read this as well...‘Niacin flush’ that is caused by B3 (Niacin) and is believed to exacerbate Rosacea.

Then.. someone else mentioned sea buckthorn. Here is an article about using it as well. seabuckthorn.com/rosacea ROSACEA AND SEABUCKTHORN CAUSE AND EFFECT

I know my face has red splotches on my forehead and sides of my cheeks, chin, and sometimes my eye lid with have a say in this too.

It's been interersting to read all the different things people have used.

I think I will check out the Pepto one as I have heard of that calming skin before and it's inexpensive for a test run. The sea buckthorn as well. Apparently it comes in soap and other ways. I looked for it on walgreens and cvs online and it didnt show up except as an ingredient in other products. I checked out those products ingredients and ....it says it has sea buckthorn in it, but I didn't see it up top of the list. Will go hunting the health food store instead.

I've been using Garden of Wisdom's Rosacea Serum which has seabuckthorn as one of its ingredients. It's worked really well so far...very calming.

Yes, sea buckthorn is in my soap that I buy from Blue Sage Naturals. It is also in the "Steves Stuff" that I buy from them also. And, my best way to control the redness is my diet as I've mentioned above

Hi all

I've been enjoying this thread a lot. I'm not sure if I have rosacea or not, but I think I do. I'll be seeing a dermatologist as soon as I can make an appt (I live in a small town, we only have one dermatologist that comes here, and that's only on Tuesdays). My main problem is the flushing and hot face. I've always blushed easily but it had gotten nearly chronic redness. I've used Olay regenerist for 2yrs to decrease lines. Now I have trouble handling it, it makes my skin worse. I've tried Skin Effects redness control. I hated it- smelled awful, made my skin way to dry and tight, plus no change in redness. Next I tried Eucerin redness relief- unfortunately I had to wash it off quickly because my skin became red and bumpy. For now I'm back to olay for sensitive skin cleanser, with no real moisturizer,so I'm loving all the wonderful ideas for skin care!

Hello everyone

I am 39 yo and have had Rosacea for about 3 years now. It started when I noticed the small blisters erupting on my nose and on my chin. I thought I was having a relapse of shingles I had when I was 19. My family doctor said it wasn't shingles, rather I had a severe case of Acne. So she gave me a prescription of Tetracycline and changed my birth control pill to Yasmin. (Btw ... Yasmin is supposed to be the best BC for controlling Acne). I stopped taking Tetra after 18 months as it did nothing for me.

During the 18 months I was trying out different skin care products. I have the typical T-zone oily face AND a super sensitive face left from the shingles. SO my final (and current) regime is as follows:

Morning (After shower) - wipe my face with OXY Deep Cleaning Daily Cleansing Pads (2% w/w Salicyclic Acid). Then I wear Aveeno - Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer (with Salicyclic Acid) for the rest of the day.

Night (Before Bed) - wipe my face with OXY Deep Cleaning Daily Cleansing Pads. I then apply Vichy Laboratoires - Norma Derm Nuit (Night). The cream enters the pores and limits the hyperactivity of sebum production creating larger pores. It is supposed to reduce the size of the pores after four weeks which in turns is supposed to reduce pimples. Bottom line for me ... my face is not as red and I don't have any more blisters when I wake up in the morning.

Now, the only time when those blisters appear and when my face reddens is during my period and under severe stress (for me).

Now ... my biggest challenge is to find a really good eye moisturizing cream to keep hydrated and to mimize my signs of aging.

Oh yes before I forget ... if you are looking for a sheer but good coverage foundation ... I highly recommend Natural FX - Water based Foundation. You do have to purchase this line's setting powder AND there is a special brush applicator. The application is more of a spackle technique as opposed to "rubbing" it on. I am also currently trying Make Up For Ever's High Definition Foundation and it is VERY nice. It is sheer, covers well and does not irritate my face. This product is used by professional MUA and comes highly recommended. They also have a concealer product that covers tattoos. If that doesn't hide the redness... nothing will.

Another item that will help foundation stay on your skin for longer is Smashbox's Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer. Mine is purple and it hides the nominal redness I do have.

Finally, if any of you are looking for an excellent eye concealer that covers well ... Guerlain's issima Precious Light Smoothing Illuminator is unbelievable. It applies quickly, doesn't crease and does not bleed away. It is expensive but my genetically flawed dark-under-the-eyes is erradicated for the entire day.

If anyone has suggestions about eye cream ... let me know.

Thanks

Rhonda

I forgot ....

Laura Mercier's Secret Camoflauge Concealer is used by many celebrities and appears to be one of those "must haves" in one's makeup bag. I will be trying this product in the next couple of weeks.

I currently don't use a face concealer as my super sensitive skin can not tolerate any heaviness. I have found concealers add weight to the makeup base so I am cautious. The Make Up For Ever's concealer was very good (I had a makeover done). My skin was able to breath and had a great matte appearance.

That's all I got ...

Hello everyone. Is anybody using the Neova R2 light or Neova R2 Serum for your Rosacea. I ordered this online and hope it will work for me.

I am tired of laser treatments as it is tooooo expensive and the effect is short lived

feedback re Neova R2 light.

My skin is sooo much better now. It calmed the redness although did not totally eradicate it. I still need IPL shots but it will be less often.

Seabuckthorn seed oil has worked beautifully for my rosacea. I get it from Blue Sage Naturals . I buy the 2 ounce jar of the seed oil (one for skin , not hair- there are two types on the website ). I mix it with jojoba oil and use as a serum.

Steve's stuff is good too of course as is the soap and shampoo etc..

Seabuckthorn seed oil is not in our local health food store. Some of the SBT found on places like ebay is diluted , not pure btw.

Zenmed, I have read good and bad reviews. Never tried it myself and they do not offer samples only f/s. I think they used to have a return policy tho.

I am contemplating trying Markeys Garden Of Wisdom Rosacea Serum.

Merlot skincare from Walgreens or on line is working well for me as is Prosacea (walgreens, walmart etc) vs a prescription med. .

Sugar.. not only aggravates my rosacea but also my tinnitus.. double trouble.
smokin.gif

I get facial flushing but I don't think I have rosacea. I've done some research and I don't have all the characteristics of it, just the redness. It used to be much worse when I was younger

It could be pre rosacea. It would still be a good idea to consult a dermatologist. Because once you have rosacea it could not be cured only controlled
smile.gif

What does not be cured mean?

Can it fade until you see no redness and then "break out"again at any time or is the redness always visible?

It's a lifelong skin condition once you have it, and all you can do is keep it under control (i read it has a hereditary component).

thank you. but what exactly means "under control". is there always an amount of redness visible if you have rosacea?

I started with seborrheic dermatitis and terrible dandruff. It then developed into rosacea which which usually flared up doing the change of seasons. It has been easily controlled for me with regular visits to the dermatologist. Metrogel or noritate and plexion cleanser have controlled my problem. I'm apparently lucky. Others seem to have a harder time controling it.

Originally Posted by RetroKitten /img/forum/go_quote.gif thank you. but what exactly means "under control". is there always an amount of redness visible if you have rosacea? it's a possibility but everyone's skin is different so i suppose the amount of rosacea that's still visible can vary.

Latest posts

Back