Official Rosacea Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have rosacea on my cheeks, its not too bad but since I'm super pale you can notice it when I start to flush. I suspect the slight redness around the corners on my nose is also rosacea. Hopefully the emu oil might help (ordered some of ebay)!
smile.gif
even though where the stuff comes from isn't exactly lovely lol!

I've found it gets very notciable when I've been walking outside in the cold and when I walk into somewhere warm.. I start to overheat and my cheeks look very flushed
icon_redface.gif
x

I found these messages very informative and interesting. I am presently using the metrocream, and using Clinique newest formula foundation (sorry, I forget the name and my husband is still sleeping, don't want to wake him to go see). I follow that with Clinique's loose powder to set. I still have show through, especially my chin--I have also developed a couple blood vessel spots on my chin. I have an appointment with a new dermatologist in a couple weeks. In addition to the rosacea, I battle a little seborhea dermatitis (spelling off, I'm sure) in the dimples of my nose. So frustrating, one minute my skin seems pretty normal, the next time I look in the mirror, I have bubble flakes of skin on my nose--looks like face dandruff, more or less.

I too have found that toners and astringents seem to be a no-no. Cetaphil has also worked pretty well for me, as did Victoria Principle's cleanser--at least no face dandruff when using it. I am interested in trying some of the other products that were mentioned, where can they be found??

Roseann

Thank you Fern for that wonderful information about Pepto-Bismol! How cool is that!?!

I posted my first message today, but in reading more of the posts, thought of something else I wanted to say. Did anyone's Dr. ever tell you that the minocycline could eventually turn your skin blue?? My family doc took me off after discovering that I had been on it for over 4 years....she said I could end up looking like a smurf forever!!

Also, I didn't notice mention of having the redness showing on the sides of the neck--anyone else out there getting it there?? Over the last couple years, I have been downsized from a long term job, family illness, child with drug abuse, left the new job just short of 2 yrs, and 5 months of job searching. Has anyone else noticed a result of stress being a trigger??

I mostly have the spicy foods, getting overheated, exercise (not that I have done any in a while, much to my reflections dismay) product sensitivity triggers.

I am thrilled to have stumbled onto this site--with new job, working with more women that ever in my life, a range of ages, but for the first time in my life, I am the only one battling skin issues, and have the dubious honor of being the most overweight. After being the thinnest for 44 years of my life (give or take a couple) it is extremely disconcerting!!!! Oh! I just remembered I did start this tangent for a reason, I have been on a steady decline in income, so resources are slim--when sharing tried and true methods, etc., if you could reference approximate cost and where to find the product would be awesome!

I realize I sort of crossed topics here, sorry, once I got on a roll venting my insecurities, they just kept on coming.

Thanks in advance for any input and shared experiences.

Roseann

Which of the Arbonne products are you using? I have been introduced to them, but I have not received clear information on which of the products might be best suited for our type of problems.

Thank you in advance,

Roseann

I've been in denial a bit now, but as I don't have very good self-confidence this is making me feel like a piece of crap. I'm defently going to the doctors...

Roseann, posted at the top of this page is a full reccomendation from Arbonne itself that I had posted a while back. The only thing that has changed it the bio matte is no longer there it has been replaced by Intellegence line. The personalizer is one of the best products we carry for this skin condition. My ERVP and the President of our company both have it and you cannot tell.

Ann Phelps
smile.gif

edited because post reffered to a post that was removed.

What a great thread! So many good tips, products, experiences share here.

I have been using microcurrent facial sculpting on several of my clients and one of the benefits is that it calms the redness from rosacea. (not all side-effects are bad thank goodness!) I now have one client who comes in not for facial sculpting but for blocking the redness of her rosacea. Everyone is different but it seems to last anywhere from 1 - 2 wks and the more often it's done, the longer it lasts. Hope this is helpful to some. I know for those who suffer from it (my husband does) it can be SO frustrating!

Thanks to everyone for great suggestions...

I am 52 and have atopic dermatitis on my ears. Cannot wear Gold or Silver. Just cheap pretty big hanging ear rings. I coat them with clear nail polish. If not they itch and get red and I have to take them out immediately. It stops the minute the ear ring is out. Weird!

Ive found my holy grail for reactive skin! a sunscreen.. my skin has hardly any redness since using it (I've bought a few spare bottles so I wont run out in winter lol). I use Tesco Sensitive skin sunscreen SPF 25.. all over my face when its sunny and just on the redness when it isn't.. its a lifesaver!
smile.gif
. Before I felt awful that my face was going red and it made me very consious.. now I feel good about my skin
laughing.gif
x

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here. I also have rosacea as diagnosed by my dermatologist here in Manila. I am 41 y.o. and I noticed this when I was aroung 35. I thought my skin was getting irritated with the toner I was using. My derm at that time didn't notice my rosacea. It's a good thing I changed my derm. My present derm suggested IPL and I've had 6 sessions already. I've seen about 60% improvement already and she says I will need maintenance IPL treatments even after the redness disappears.

I use Cetaphil cleanser AM & PM. For the AM I use Vit. C serum and sublock and for PM I use Vit C serum and Tretinoin .10% twice or thrice weekly. My IPL is once every 4 to 6 weeks. I'm happy with the results but I'm still waiting for the day I would no longer flush.
smile.gif

An article from skincareresearch.com:

Rosacea is a common facial dermatosis, which may have detrimental effects on the patient's psychological and social interactions. It is a disease of the middle aged, skin types I and II are more often affected than darker skin types. Clinically, pre-rosacea, and rosacea grade I-III may be distinguished. Pre-rosacea is characterized by flushing and blushing, grade I to III by erythemato-teleangiectasies, papulopustules, and inflammatory nodules. Especially severe subtypes include rosacea conglobata and rosacea fulminans. Hyperglandular subtypes lead to different forms of phyma, of which Rhinophyma is the most frequent. Pathogenetically destruction of the dermal vessels and connective tissue seems to be decisive for the development of a chronic inflammation, which leads to the phenotype of the various forms of rosacea. Mild forms can be treated exclusively by topical medication. Antibiotics (erythromycin, clindamycin, tetracyclin), metronidazol, azelaic acid, and the retinoid adapalene have been shown to be effective in well controlled randomized studies. The best evaluated topical medication is metronidazol. In severe forms sytemic therapy must be applied. Systemic antibiotics are effective and especially isotretinoin has shown a very good response even in low dose regimens. Rhinophyma must be treated surgically.

I always thought I had rosacea, but instead I think I have pre-rosacea because I get periods of flushing/blushing in my cheeks and they heat up a lot!

I don't have rosacea, but I do have some bumps underneath my eyes. Those little white bumps when you look really close, you know what I mean? I went to the doctor, and he gave me Metrogel to use on it (glycerin compound). It has had no effect at all. I also have some little bumps, a cpl, around my eyes, that are just annoying. They aren't huge or anything, and you can't see them unless you look really close, but you can feel them. Maybe they are the beginnings of a skin tag, from how rough I am with my eyes? I always love doing eye make up, and I rub my eyes too, especially at night. I am going to see if I can get a referral to a dermatologist, because I heard they can fix these little problems I have in about one visit! Anyone else have these problems?

Hi Everyone! I'm so glad I found this thread. I have redness and vessels. I can't seem to find any foundation or products that will work. I went to the Dr. and he gave me a antibiotic and it didn't work. I just bought some Cetaphil today and i'm going to try it. Are there any foundations that will actually cover it up? I have bought Several name brand foundations and concealers. Any ideas what may cover it up?? Thanks for any input!!

There may be a stealth condition undermining your efforts toward having gorgeous skin. It's called rosacea and the symptoms range from light flushing and enlarged blood vessels to severe ruddiness and bumps.

The cause of this chronic inflammatory skin disorder remains a mystery. "There's just no clear answer," says Ranella Hirsch, MD, vice president of the American Society of Cosmetic Dermatology and Aesthetic Surgery. Some blame bacteria; others point to free radicals and ultraviolet rays. But the most popular theory is that overactive blood vessels in the face cause you to turn, and stay, red.

To add to the confusion, many other skin problems, such as sun damage and acne, mimic rosacea, so you could be treating one condition when you really have another. (Visit a dermatologist for a definitive answer.) Although there's no way to prevent or cure rosacea, the following strategies can help you keep the redness under control.

1. Manage Triggers

Certain foods, environments, and activities can induce rosacea, so learning what sparks your crimson coloring is key.

Flare-up foods Alcohol, spicy meals, and hot beverages and soups often bring on redness. Brie and hard cheeses are also on the list, because they release histamine, a chemical that turns the skin red, says Zoe Draelos, MD, a clinical associate professor of dermatology at Wake Forest University School of Medicine. See how your skin reacts before regularly indulging in your favorites.

The weather When your face is exposed to harsh weather--be it cold, blustery wind or blistering hot sunshine--rosacea is likely to spike.

Be sure to protect your skin year-round.

Internal combustors "Anything that causes vessels to dilate, including exercise, will exacerbate rosacea," says Patricia Farris, MD, a clinical assistant professor of dermatology at Tulane University School of Medicine. Instead of pounding the pavement, try swimming or working out in a cool room. And try not to get too emotionally worked up. The National Rosacea Society reports that 79% of sufferers it surveyed say mental stress and anxiety aggravate their flushing.

2. Practice Smart Skin Care

"I tell rosacea patients to treat their skin like silk," says Draelos. "Don't rub it, wring it, or use harsh detergents on it." And always use the right products:

Kind cleansers When choosing a face wash, "blander is better," says Farris. (Unanimous favorites: Cetaphil, Dove, and CeraVe.) Watch out for acid-containing products and anything that creates a warming sensation on the skin.

Topical relief To soothe skin, Aveeno's Ultra-Calming line contains feverfew, a botanical antioxidant, and Eucerin's Redness Relief products pack licorice extract; both calm ruddiness.

Serious UV protectors Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily. Some of the gentlest blocks contain UVA-shielding zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.

3. Talk to Your Derm

For more severe rosacea, or when you really want to get the red out, your doctor can help you choose the best fix.

Light and laser therapy Intense pulsed light, or IPL, treatments use quick flashes of broad-spectrum light to reduce allover redness; pulse-dye lasers can be used to target visible blood vessels.

Prescription potions To deal with papules and pustules, antibiotics are your best bet. See your doctor to discuss topical ointments such as MetroGel, Finacea, Azelex, and Avar; or oral prescriptions like doxycycline and minocycline.

Or she may recommend the recently FDA-approved Oracea, which

is such a low dose of doxycycline that it's not considered an antibiotic, meaning no yeast infections or growth of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

source: prevention.com

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. Just wanted to say that I have been using retin-A and Finacea for about a year now. I love the retin-A. But the Finacea -- I'm somewhat dissapointed. It has not worked to the extent that I would have liked it too. Also I do find the stinging sensation rather bothersome. I've tried the metrogel and the stinging was worse for me.
10.gif

Cathy

Latest posts

Back