Official Rosacea Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi-New here and I have rosacea

Anyone have any OTC products they like?

What about the MD Formulations line?

Thanks

Jennifer

First time posting but thought I would jump in here. I had this some 20 years ago. Apparently caused by major stress. Woke up in the middle of the night and my face felt hot. In the dark I felt the rash..and it wasn't just along my cheeks and nose, but my entire face! Called my Dr the next day and begged to get in- and did. He also happens to be my skin cancer doctoro- a gem if ever there was one. Took one look at me and said .you have Roseacea. Treated it with Metrogel. It was so bad walking around (or was that slinking) with no makeup on and a red face!! and took a week or 2 (as I remember) to tone down and finally go away. Haven't had it again...till...

Just 3 days ago I was testing a new face treatment with Niacin in it. I woke up the next morning with a red face. Ok....here we. My face didn't like it. But..it became the rash like bumps all over my face again. The Niacin may have accelleratd it, but it was Roseacea again. Again caused by stress in a new job from hell. I am doing the metrogel again. At least I can hide it under my makeup! Will be reading the other comments as to remedys...

Barb

This is just awesome....one thing I wanted to contribute that I have not seen is the dietary issue. People with Rosacea should not drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages. They should not eat things that are spicy or "hot" like jalapenos and what have you.

I saw that toners should be avoided, how about toners containing red raspberry? This is an ingredient that has been used for years for broken and dialated capillaries. Also products with Milk and licorice help to soothe the skin in such a state. But these are products that are sold professionally or you would see them in a salon or aesthetician's office...you might also be able to find the raw versions of these products in a health food store. Licorice does come in tea bag form but I would rather see a client using something that is easy and can compliment the facial skin as a whole.

As far as exfoliants are concerned..Rice Bran works nicely on rosaceic skin. ( For instance, Dermalogica has Daily Microfoliant.) I have many clients with Rosacea, it is just a matter of education as well as understanding the fact that it will take a bit of time to get this under control. Red raspberry can also be taken internally. There are also several Collagen supplements that are out there ...

Excellent suggestion on the green colorants. I would also like to ask that my clients apply a non chemical sunscreen. Just suggestions and anyone can take them as they see fit....

Angel

Angel Thanks so much!!! As far as the Red Raspberry what do I need to look for? Does the kind taken internally work as well for the Capillaries as the red raspberry toners? I would love to try them if you could suggest where I may be able to find it. I have tried antibiotics that the Dr. gave me but that didn't work. I have also had Photofacial laser treatments and they didn't work either. I'm now trying shea butter....I'd love to try the red raspberry!! Thanks for the helpful info.!!

You are so welcome....there are two companies that I know who make the Raspberry products and there could be more that I do not know of.

The first being Ronda Allison and the second is Dermalogica. I think that the antibiotics may have dried your skin out...

But as far as the red raspberry goes, my suggestion is to look for a healthy food store. Yes, many women take red raspberry for this condition. Not rasberry Leaf...there is a difference this is why it is important to seek help from a professional. If not you could be doing more to hurt than help.

I look forward to hearing about your results...most of all be patient!!!

Thanks so much! We actually have a health food store here in my Very small town!! I'm glad you said not Leaf....I was looking online last night and saw a lot of the Leaf and almost ordered it, but didn't. I'll have to go to the health food store today. If I ever didn't have the red I would never have to wear makeup because my skin is so good otherwise. I'd love to be able to wear a light amount of it at least. Thanks sooo much for the help! I'll let ya know if i'm able to find it today!

I went to the Dr today and I told him that the antibiotic he put me on never helped my redness. He gave me some metro gel to try today. has anyone tried this yet? If so did it work or not?

Regina,

I know of metrogel...I am very surprised that he gave you this especially when your skin is red and in the condition when we last spoke.

You can go to the Metro-gel site and look for yourself and than over to WebMd.

the site for MetroGel info is MetroGel® 1%

I am interested to hear what else he had ot tell you. MetroGel is another antibiotic. They use Metrogel for Yeast infections. (Sorry to be crude) The MetroGel that I know of advertises itself as an antibiotic which is just another agent to dry out the skin. What did he give you to combat the redness? Did he suggest that you seea nutritionist to see what you are eating may be effecting your skin???

I have a feeling it is defintely gonna take some time to "cool" this down. Did any of the other things I suggested help? Wish I can help you more...

I am anxious to hear the outcome, but in my personal experience and without bagging on another professional whose scope of work is a little more indepth than mine...it sounds like you have gotten to a point where now you have may be effecting the acid mantle in your skin. Again in my opinion, you need some sort of Occlusive to help cool that skin down and than start all over again...

Love and Laughter to you!

Angel

My skin is back to normal from the Cream I used on it before. I do however still have the redness from the Capilaries. I can't seem to find Raspberry I want some sooo bad. He did give me the Metro-Gel 1% for the redness from the Caps. The oral antibiotic He gave me last time did not work. I don't know what to do anymore.
frown.gif
I want to get to a point where I don't have to wear foundation if I don't want to. I really need to find Raspberry but when I looked on ebay all they had was the Leaf and I know you said that wasn't what I needed. Are there any sites I can maybe order from that you know of? Thanks so much for all your help. I will be sure to check out that website. Thank goodness the red flushing is gone, but I want the redness from the caps. to be gone as well.

I have had mild rosacea for a few years now and have found a cream called 'Provenance' really helpful. they have a range but there is one specifically for "rosacea & blotchy skin". a little pricey in the UK (£18) but it has really helped smooth out the skin on my cheeks. The active ingredient is borage oil which is also helpful for ezcema. You are supposed to put it on morning and night but I generally put it on at night only because of its oiliness and I see an improvement in the morning especially if I've had any alcohol that night as that's the worst thing for mine.

I was given some antibiotic cream from my doctor but Provenance is far better.

And I've just discovered mineral foundations which are a godsend (EM )

Ann

I used Cutanix for a while. It worked wonders. Too bad the FDA had to come in and ruin things. I heard it is going to come back after the company reformulated and repackages it.

Sea Buckthorn seed oil has done wonders for my skin and decreased my problems with rosacea as well. I mix it in with the Aveeno Calm moisturizer. I mix AVeeno Calm cleanser

half and half with olive oil, then add about 5-8 drops of SBT seed oil. I use the SBT berry oil in my shampoo and conditioner too. Great for itchy scalp.

I used about 4-5 mineral makeup lines till I found Aromaleigh. It works beautifully for my skin.

I also have used Prosacea and found it helpful. We can only get it at Walgreens in our town.

Jane

For two months I have been using Merlot skincare and it has really improved my rosacea. It can be bought on line at merloskincare.com or at Walgreeens. Walgreens has samples of the moisturizer and they are good about taking back anything that does not work for me too.

Prosacea and Merlot skincare with a home made serum of jojoba,almond oil, sea buckthorn seed oil (4-5 drops to 1 ounce carrier oils) ,rosemary essential oil 4 drops,chammomile oil 4 drops . All of this has reallly worked wonders for me.

Wow, I just know what it mean and how to take care of it. Thanks.

I went to the Dr. today for some redness in my face, I also have a few capilaries in my face. He gave me some metro gel how long will it take my face to clear up? will it help the capilaries?

I too have rosacea and for a couple of years now have been trying everything that I could get my hands on that were suggested by other people on different websites for rosacea. I have gone the the dermatologist, used Metrogel, Finecea, tetracycline and just different calming lotions, moisturizers... the gamut... but nothing seemed to help. I came across some information on the National Rosacea Society website that said that some people with rosacea responded to BHA ( Beta Hydroxy Acid) lotion. On the webpage that I was reading there was a link to Paula Begoun's website -The Cosmetics Cop (Paula's Choice). At this point, I was ready to try anything so I clicked on the link and was transported to Paula's Choice. For those of you who have not heard of Paula's Choice, it is a website with all sorts of information about skin care and makeup and Paula has her own line of skin care and makeup products. Naturally after trying so many different things, I was very suspicious. After looking over the information on her website, I decided to give her skin care line a try. You don't have to buy a whole bottle, she sells samples of all of her items and I've read on other websites that you can also get them to send free samples if you call and speak with their customer service. (I wish I had found that out before I ordered my samples!) I looked over each one of her suggested skin care programs, settled on the one for my skin type and ordered the program in all samples... My face was very irritated, red and I had pustuals which I just could not get rid of. The Finecea definitely was not working! After a week of using the samples, my face has cleared up almost 100%! I was so pleased with the results that I have ordered the kit so that I can continue with this progress. I was so excited, I just felt that I had to pass this along to everyone just in case you had never heard of Paula's Choice. The samples are worth the try, and if it doesn't work for you, then you haven't put out a lot of money! It is expensive to get the whole skin care kit at once but it was worth it to have nice skin again! My sister and my friends have all commented on how nice my skin looks now. And it leaves your skin so soft and smooth.

Check it out!

Latest posts

Back