Ok, so I just dyed my hair...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My hair was really blond and I decided to go a little darker. Well wow did it ever go dark brown. I know in a few weeks after washing it the color will somewhat fade out. Besides washing it, is there anything else I can put in it to speed up the process? I really want to get the access color out. Any suggestions appreciated!

Besides using something really harsh there is little you can do. Metalex works well you can buy this from Sally's, but what I have done a time or two is take clarifying shampoo (I used VO5) with lemon juice added to it. I washed my hair once with shampoo then rinse then I shampooed a second time with shampoo ad lemon juice and let it set for about 20-30 minutes. Afterwards I conditioned really well. Seemed to work okay for me, but everyones hair is different.

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel I never thought of clarifying shampoo, great idea! Whats the purpose of the lemon juice? The acid in the lemon juice helps open the cuticle of the hair.

A few stylists have suggested using BAKING SODA, although it can get a little messy. Next time you should let a professional do your hair, that way if anything ever does go wrong you have someone else to blame
icon_cheesygrin.gif

~YourOneAndOnly

The color itself is dark but a nice change from my blond. My green eyes really pop out! Wow! Even without makeup they stand right off my face. Its crazy what a little color can do
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm going to try both of those suggestions. For the baking soda I'm wondering how I apply it. Just kinda sprinkle it on and strub? Do I leave it in or just scrub and rinse?

Definitely try the Metalex. It's great. Also - original green Prell shampoo is good...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

wash your hair with dish detergent, clarifying shampoo, and both a protein treatment and deep conditioner will brighten your color, as well as hot oil treatments. baking soda and prell do really work too.

I just wanted to update just in case this happens to anyone else!

The color has faded nicely. Its still rather dark but wayyy better than before. The only thing that helped was the "cheap shampoo" idea. It really got rid of all the access color. I had to keep washing and washing. I tried everything listed in this thread lol! Thanks to all for your help!

Thank you so much!

It's been hard getting use to it because I was blond for 8 yrs. Because I did it so recently I can still walk by a mirror and go "OMG thats me"! haha, I feel so different, but I do like it
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Thank you so much! It's been hard getting use to it because I was blond for 8 yrs. Because I did it so recently I can still walk by a mirror and go "OMG thats me"! haha, I feel so different, but I do like it
icon_cheesygrin.gif

If its the color in your avatar, then I love it! With your skin tone, brunette color goes really well for you. Honestly I don't know if I could see you as a blonde! lol Do you have pics?
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Thank you so much! It's been hard getting use to it because I was blond for 8 yrs. Because I did it so recently I can still walk by a mirror and go "OMG thats me"! haha, I feel so different, but I do like it
icon_cheesygrin.gif

that happened to me too when i went dark - but i decided blonde was more my colour and i've been having a difficult time trying to get my colour back - i always have my hair coloured at salons and have never coloured it myself. the last few times i've coloured my hair have been a disaster though even though i've been to professional high end salons - that dark colour is paying me back and can't get the blonde i want
icon_cry.gif

I just couldn't stick with the dark brown-- it was way to drastic and looked awkward framing my face. I guess I'm just not used to it. A few days ago I went it and got some blond highlights put in (you can see 'em in my avatar). I really like the way it softened up my face again. Its really dry now though cause of the bleaching again
frown.gif
I've been doing treatments like crazy!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel I just couldn't stick with the dark brown-- it was way to drastic and looked awkward framing my face. I guess I'm just not used to it. A few days ago I went it and got some blond highlights put in (you can see 'em in my avatar). I really like the way it softened up my face again. Its really dry now though cause of the bleaching again
frown.gif
I've been doing treatments like crazy!
icon_rolleyes.gif
Try some Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm... it's great! Or... Paul Mitchell Hair Repair treatment.

Latest posts

Back