Omg Look!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have posted below some information given from the skincare brand i love regarding parabens. the first paragraph is regarding a negative comment someone posted on a website regarding the line using parabens. the second paragraph is info their scientist wrote in the companies newsletter. i hope this helps you.

karrie

based on Science and Safety - not on internet hype that we use for marketing. Parabens are the safest preservatives on the market and have the most testing of any preservatives on the market. The leading Dermatologist from the Cleveland Clinic just lead the research on testing one more time the safety of Parabens and found them to be very safe in cosmetics. This myth stated by a doctor in London who found parabens in the breast tissue of some cancer patients and announced that parabens in cosmetics cause cancer. First, the research was very flawed he had no proof that the parabens had caused anything much less cancer - but if there was parabens in the tissue it came from the foods we eat - not cosmetics. Parabens have a large molecular structure so would have a difficult if not impossible chance of penetrating the skin. There are no other preservatives with the years of safety that parabens have.

May's featured ingredient of the month is 'Parabens.' This ingredient has received much negative press over the past year, and we would like to dispel these myths.

Parabens are a class of preservatives (ingredients that help to prevent microbial contamination) that have been used in a wide variety of foods, drugs, and cosmetics and keep products safe. Parabens have a long history of use in these products, and have been specifically recognized as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Additionally, the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel reviewed their use in cosmetics in 1984 and concluded that they were safe as used in cosmetics.

On November 14, 2003, as part of the normal re-review process, the CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review) Expert Panel determined that it wanted to conduct a thorough review of the literature since the previous report in 1984 to decide if it was appropriate to reopen the safety assessment.

The Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act requires that cosmetics and non-prescription drugs and their individual ingredients must be safe and that labeling must be truthful and not misleading. FDA can take immediate action to stop the sale of any product that does not meet its high standards.

Given the oversight by FDA, commitment of the industry, and long history of safe use, consumers can have confidence in their cosmetics and non-prescription drugs.

CTFA Response Statement, Safety of Parabens - Darbre Paper

A wealth of data supports the safety of antiperspirants and parabens. A study reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (JNCI), October 16, 2002, cites the work of researchers from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington both in Seattle, Washington. Their extensive population-based case-control study concludes that "These findings do not support the hypothesis that antiperspirant use increases the risk for breast cancer." The researchers also said that "there was no evidence" of risk for breast cancer from the use of deodorants. The science behind the Paraben myth has been corrected by the Scientific World, and Parabens were just retested and proven safe by the CIR in June 2006.

According to the American Cancer Society, there have been many extremely thorough epidemiological studies of breast cancer risk and they have neither of these ingredients pose a risk factor for breast cancer.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates cosmetics and nonprescription drugs to assure their safety. They are safe and consumers should not be unnecessarily alarmed.

If sunscreen is put on, won't that in fact reflect uva & uvb rays anyway?

That's interesting, Karrie- thanks.

LMAO u know thats funny .. i started a thread about cheap face cleansers and how they are fuill of stuff u dont really want on your face and I read this?

little amounts or not .. U wont catch me using that

me too

Originally Posted by princessmich /img/forum/go_quote.gif You know what's funny? Cetaphil clearly states that thier product is "Dermatologist Recommended" and due to the same paraben issue i quit using it also it majorly dried out my skin. Yet it says "Gentle Skin Cleanser, mild and non-irritating for sensitive skin".....***Baffled*** IMO choosing safer products comes down to a personal choice and i have consciously made that decision to avoid such ingredients as much as possible. I'm sticking to Organic and Natural products
wink.gif
I do ..switch to Organic products Originally Posted by Savvy_lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif oh really ??do u have any recommendation for us
biggrin.gif

Back