Omg Look!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Awhile ago someone posted 4 pretty poisonous compound in skin care product and i look at my cetaphil cleanser today just to see it has them too! i didnt check very carefully but when i look at it i at least found 1 of them :

Parabens

What They Are:Preservatives that keep products bacteria-free.

Where You’ll Find Them:Cleanser, hand soap, moisturizers and toothpaste

Names They Go By:Methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben.

What’s the Concern:Parabens can mimic natural hormones, including estrogen. Disruption of sex hormones increases the risk of certain cancers.

it has all 3 of them in it:Methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben.

i m very surprised and terrified by this !!!! skin with this compound when come in contact with the uv lights age 3 times faster than without it

the figure is 6 % of skin cell damage VS 19%!!!!

I don't think they're THAT dangerous. It's pretty smalls amount you get in your body anyways.

Originally Posted by ANILEIJA /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't think they're THAT dangerous. It's pretty smalls amount you get in your body anyways. i dun want my skin to age 3 times faster ~ i know its not that much that will poison me but the skin matters!!!

Hmmm, interesting...but I don't think it's going to be a big problem in the future.

A lot of information you find on the internet regarding parabens (and a lot of other things, for that matter) is coming from an alarmist position. A lot of them argue that there is a link between parabens and breast cancer, but more research is needed. However, there are many alternatives you can find that are paraben-free.

US FDA/CFSAN - Parabens

Originally Posted by aplsmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif A lot of information you find on the internet regarding parabens (and a lot of other things, for that matter) is coming from an alarmist position. A lot of them argue that there is a link between parabens and breast cancer, but more research is needed. However, there are many alternatives you can find that are paraben-free.
US FDA/CFSAN - Parabens

oh i know that but what i cared about most was when uv lights hit on skin wth paraben the death rate of skin cells is 3 times more than without it as i wrote in my original post

Ah, I see. Are you going to switch?
smile.gif

I am surprised the Cetaphil cleanser has parabens since their lotion is marketed as paraben-free, etc.

Originally Posted by aplsmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ah, I see. Are you going to switch?
smile.gif

I am surprised the Cetaphil cleanser has parabens since their lotion is marketed as paraben-free, etc.

YES I CANT BELIEVE THAT !but no i m not gonna switch yet! so far i cant find anything like it without paraben here in hk
frown.gif

I don't know...I think I might prefer a little parabens as opposed to bacteria growing in my cleanser! I can't believe the amounts are enough to do much harm for the length of time on your face!

Originally Posted by Savvy_lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif Awhile ago someone posted 4 pretty poisonous compound in skin care product and i look at my cetaphil cleanser today just to see it has them too! i didnt check very carefully but when i look at it i at least found 1 of them :

Parabens

What They Are:Preservatives that keep products bacteria-free.

Where You’ll Find Them:Cleanser, hand soap, moisturizers and toothpaste

Names They Go By:Methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben.

What’s the Concern:Parabens can mimic natural hormones, including estrogen. Disruption of hormones increases the risk of certain cancers.

it has all 3 of them in it:Methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben.

i m very surprised and terrified by this !!!! skin with this compound when come in contact with the uv lights age 3 times faster than without it

the figure is 6 % of skin cell damage VS 19%!!!!

The cosmetic industry as a whole has be reluctant to change because they fear expensive reformulating costs. If we don't by their products they will definitely get the message.

Originally Posted by kaville /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know...I think I might prefer a little parabens as opposed to bacteria growing in my cleanser! I can't believe the amounts are enough to do much harm for the length of time on your face! i'm with you on this one kaville. we probably breathe in more toxins daily than are in our skin care products. jmho~

It's on the internet, so it MUST be true! lol!

Honestly, I don't like Cetaphil anyway. Their moisturizer made my face feel slimey and their cleanser didn't "cleanse" anything. lol.

You know what's funny? Cetaphil clearly states that thier product is "Dermatologist Recommended" and due to the same paraben issue i quit using it also it majorly dried out my skin. Yet it says "Gentle Skin Cleanser, mild and non-irritating for sensitive skin".....***Baffled*** IMO choosing safer products comes down to a personal choice and i have consciously made that decision to avoid such ingredients as much as possible. I'm sticking to Organic and Natural products
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Labrat81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Actually I work in the cosmetics industry, and since parabens are getting bad press we are formulating all new products (and looking to possibly reformulate old ones) so that they do not contain parabens........
I currently work on paraben free systems and I haven't formulated anything with them in over a year......

Oh....and I work for one of the big guys......

oh really ??do u have any recommendation for us
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by kaville /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know...I think I might prefer a little parabens as opposed to bacteria growing in my cleanser! I can't believe the amounts are enough to do much harm for the length of time on your face! I agree with that!!
The research on parabens is inconclusive!! It was one study and it's been challenged so at the moment don't believe all you read.

I don't use them when I make creams but I wouldn't avoid buying something because it had them in. The amount needed to preserve a water based product is something like 0.3% of the formulation - it really is tiny!!

Originally Posted by kaville /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know...I think I might prefer a little parabens as opposed to bacteria growing in my cleanser! I can't believe the amounts are enough to do much harm for the length of time on your face! I agree.
Nowadays, it seems like EVERYTHING is bad for you/ages you/causes cancer, etc. You need to pick and choose your battles.

Latest posts

Back