On the fence about blogging or vlogging.....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has peaked my interest for some time now to start blogging but I have reservations.  First, how much time do you all commit to blogging?  Do you have to have extensive knowledge on setting up a website?  Theres a million questions swirling around in my brain right now.  

I've seen numerous bloggers and let me tell you, even though they have product knowledge, they're unable to remain objective and that's a total turn off to me.  Is it ok to just present a product with its pros/cons and leave the subjective opinions at the door?  Bloggers carry ALOT of weight when recommending/ discouraging new and upcoming products and even though they may not endorse them, is it ok for them to give them a total thumbs down and discourage people from buying just because it didnt work for them?  

Help me ladies understand the etiquette that goes along with blogging.  Or is there any?  Is it a free-for-all that anything and everything goes?  How did you all start and how did you know it was right?  How long have all of you been blogging?

Thanks for listening gals 
smile.gif

On the fence in Arizona 

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It has peaked my interest for some time now to start blogging but I have reservations.  First, how much time do you all commit to blogging?  Do you have to have extensive knowledge on setting up a website?  Theres a million questions swirling around in my brain right now.  

I've seen numerous bloggers and let me tell you, even though they have product knowledge, they're unable to remain objective and that's a total turn off to me.  Is it ok to just present a product with its pros/cons and leave the subjective opinions at the door?  Bloggers carry ALOT of weight when recommending/ discouraging new and upcoming products and even though they may not endorse them, is it ok for them to give them a total thumbs down and discourage people from buying just because it didnt work for them?  

Help me ladies understand the etiquette that goes along with blogging.  Or is there any?  Is it a free-for-all that anything and everything goes?  How did you all start and how did you know it was right?  How long have all of you been blogging?

smile.gif

On the fence in Arizona 
I do both vlogging and blogging but fine blogging to be less time consuming than vlogging. With vlogging you have to consider so many things such as lighting, how you look, how you sound, editing, music, video length (newer YouTube members are restricted to 10 minutes or less with their videos). Basically you want to sound unscripted but there are times you have to write yourself a script to keep on point. I've pretty much stopped doing videos, I still do them but I hate editing the videos and uploading so for the last four months most of my videos are sitting on my PC. I find taking pictures of the products and discussing it in a written format to be less of a hassle PLUS if I have to refer back to an older blog entry I wrote it's easier than having to go through video to find what I've said about something.

Personally I blog when I want and when I find things that are of interest to me. At this time I've received no freebies from companies for reviews so everything on my site that I review comes from my own pocket. Larger blog sites like Temptalia, Nouveau Cheap, NeutraKris and Wing Law get freebies from companies for reviews so it's easier for them to update two to three times a day and on a daily basis. If you're starting out and are buying things out of pocket I would suggest sticking to things you like rather than try to compete with those who get free stuff.

I would like to start off by saying you should totally start blogging  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do freelance web design, so setting up a beauty blog for myself was a piece of cake. But with platforms such as Blogspot, you really don't need to be too well versed in the ways of the web design world to run your own blog.

I spend a few hours a week writing posts and taking pictures, nothing too crazy. I've been blogging since I was about 15 (before the days of Wordpress even lol) so it's something I enjoy doing. It's actually one of the nerdy things I do to relax.

Quote:

smile.gif

On the fence in Arizona 

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to start off by saying you should totally start blogging  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do freelance web design, so setting up a beauty blog for myself was a piece of cake. But with platforms such as Blogspot, you really don't need to be too well versed in the ways of the web design world to run your own blog.

I spend a few hours a week writing posts and taking pictures, nothing too crazy. I've been blogging since I was about 15 (before the days of Wordpress even lol) so it's something I enjoy doing. It's actually one of the nerdy things I do to relax.

Quote:

Yeah, you've been in my head about blogging for awhile now.  Maybe because we share ALOT of the same likes/dislikes? I swear sometimes, we share a brain when it comes to beauty things lol.  

Thanks for the info on Blogspot.  I'll check it out.  BTW........do you have your new camera yet???? 
eek.gif

Wordpress is also pretty self publishing like Blogspot. There's also Livejournal (does anyone use that still? lol), Tumblr and several other sites. I use Blogspot simply because it's owned by Google so I can tie in my Youtube account and so many of my other accounts to it.

We were separated at beauty birth! lol

Working on the new camera... slowwwly working on it ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah, you've been in my head about blogging for awhile now.  Maybe because we share ALOT of the same likes/dislikes? I swear sometimes, we share a brain when it comes to beauty things lol.  

Thanks for the info on Blogspot.  I'll check it out.  BTW........do you have your new camera yet???? 
eek.gif

I personally think you can't be 100% objective on product reviews simply because what works for you may not work for others. If you consider a matte finish, for instance, on a foundation to be a +, others may consider it a -. Either way, i guess what i'm trying to say is that all the pros and cons you may list on your review come from YOUR experience with the product, thus making it extremely subjective.  What I do, to try and be more objective is not actually recomment the product, but suggest they try it as a sample if that is possible. 

Originally Posted by aqua_shell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally think you can't be 100% objective on product reviews simply because what works for you may not work for others. If you consider a matte finish, for instance, on a foundation to be a +, others may consider it a -. Either way, i guess what i'm trying to say is that all the pros and cons you may list on your review come from YOUR experience with the product, thus making it extremely subjective.  What I do, to try and be more objective is not actually recomment the product, but suggest they try it as a sample if that is possible. 

I absolutely agree.  The more I think about it, the more I think of Temptalia.  She just puts the facts out there and lets you decide whether its a product for you or not.

I've decided to jump in girls.  I'm sure it will evolve more over the coming months but at least it's a starting point.  

I absolutely agree.  The more I think about it, the more I think of Temptalia.  She just puts the facts out there and lets you decide whether its a product for you or not.

I've decided to jump in girls.  I'm sure it will evolve more over the coming months but at least it's a starting point.  
I think she puts alot of her own opinions into her reviews as well. Its not as blatant as others but look at her rating system. I find those to be pretty subjective. 

I spend quite a bit of time between taking photos, writing, researching, checking blogs I follow, and keeping up with social media.I am not sure how long. I actually prefer if a blogger gives their opinions, and not just pros and cons.

I personally dislike vlogs. I absolute detest unboxing videos. And I mean no offense, but why take a video of the products before you have an opinion? Especially with services that offer the same products in every box, I already know you are getting that body scrub, tell me what you think. etc, etc. grumbles.

Plus, I can't watch/listen to videos in class
whistling.gif

I vote get on board with blogging!

I've been an active blogger since 2008, my first blog being 100% vegan food blog. I ended up getting so bored with it since Im not creative and dont really create recipes. And I felt awkward ever posting personal news or stories. What I did differently this time was I didn't make it specific. I see my blog as more of a lifestyle blog, so I dont feel guilty posting about my marathon progress or my favorite music or my vacation to Disney World. But beauty and fashion is obviously my main focus. But it is your blog! You get to make the rules. That is what I love about blogging. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Im a completely anal blogger. Like I already have a monthly subscription service post outline I follow for every single post. I like clean, simple texts and colors. I absolutely will not read a blog that has some crazy funky text with bright neon colors everywhere. Nor do I like blogs that post out-of-focus pictures or reviews without actual substance. Post for a purpose! But love what you post!

^^ I am not a Vlog person either. I don't hate them or anything, but they are not my thing. I skip over those. I don't like unboxing videos, but I do love hauls. Favorites videos are not my thing, but I kind of like what's in your purse.

I just figured out how to use the video function on my camera and how to upload to YouTube. I'm not sure if it will go anywhere but thought it could be fun. 

What I do love is tutorials! Im a complete idiot when it comes to applying makeup. I watch tutorials all the time for eyeshadow applications.

Latest posts

Back