Opinions! Opinions! MAC Brush SETS or?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just yapping with another MuT'er about the upcoming MAC brush sets in TailorMade. I was told by a MAC MUA that the sets are of lesser quality then the single brushes. Well, i hate to say it, but i bought a set anyway, and yep, she was right..

What do YOU think?

yeah, i think they are of lesser quality. i have this one brush set that has a 242 brush. looks NOTHING like the real one. the one in the set has synthetic bristles and looks like you use it for emolient stuff like paints or concealer
icon_rolleyes.gif

they're good starter sets though. those brushes are still better than the little applicators or the little brushes for blush.

I am trying to refrain from buying the brush sets. Because of what I,ve learned here,I think I will stick to buying them individually.

Tailormade is not out here yet and I was really planning on getting the pinstripe brush set (the one with mini foundation brush, concealer brush, angled blush brush...dunno if all of these are right) cuz buying them individually would just be way to expensive for me.

so you guys think the quality is really THAT bad? I only have 2 MAC brushes (e/s blending and small angled brow brush), so that´d be the perfect opportunity to get more high quality brushes for less money, right?

but if they´re really THAT bad then I won´t get them. I wanna hear some more opinions
smile.gif

Sorry girls! thats what the MAC MUA told me, she knows me pretty well, and said thats why they are as CHEAP (price-wise) as they are.. because you know you can't buy a set for 40 bucks, give or take, if you bought them by the each..That explained it. I wasn't happy with my set either. I still say, go to the art supply store! I got nice sable brushes there for WAY cheaper!

I bought two of the sets but the quality of the brushes in MAC's sets have not bothered me. I know they aren't as good, but I can deal with the little "problems" that arise. It's not such a big deal to me.

Yea, they aren't the same quality b/c they are meant to be simply travel brushes (if you lose one, it's not as big of a deal as losing your long handled investment brushes).

The biggest differences:

*Long handled professional brushes are handmade and have nickle plated ferrules (this is the metal piece that holds the handle & bristles together).

*The travel size brush sets are machine made and the ferrules are made of aluminum.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Yea, they aren't the same quality b/c they are meant to be simply travel brushes (if you lose one, it's not as big of a deal as losing your long handled investment brushes).
The biggest differences:

*Long handled professional brushes are handmade and have nickle plated ferrules (this is the metal piece that holds the handle & bristles together).

*The travel size brush sets are machine made and the ferrules are made of aluminum.

Thanks for the detailed info Joy!

I don't have any MAC brushes, and I probably won't ... (I love my art brushes too much!) But I guess any brush from a set or a palette wouldn't be the 'best' or else they'd be charging double than what they do - being some of their brushes almost cost the same as one palette!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol Thanks for the detailed info Joy! Sure, anytime! I just found this info out recently myself.

so Joy tell me (you´re the pro on this), should I get one of the brush sets? I´m thinking of getting the pinstripe set (the one with mini concealer and foundation brush). I mean, a foundation brush is supposed to be a lil bigger right cause it´s used for application on the whole face.

how small are they exactly?

Thanks for the heads up girls.. I was gonna get one of those sets because i need a few more brushes but i think i'll leave it off for now. Its my B'Day in July so i might buy a few of the brushes with my B'Day money instead

I really wanted to get the kit with the short handled founation brush. So, would you say that it wouldn't give the same quality results as the regular foundation brush?

Latest posts

Back